Family Sports and Fitness are a great way to spend time together. A 2018 study has found that fathers who exercise raise healthier children – even into adulthood. Why not find fun ways to set that good example. We keep a running list (haha punny) of events that have been submitted to us here.
If you have a sporting event you would like to share, please keep in mind our parameters and mission. Events must be something that can be participated in as a family and it must be a stand-alone event with no long-term commitment. Please feel free to email Joy with your submissions
- The YMCA offers streaming videos for all ages. Most of this is adult-oriented, but they have a series of youth soccer videos.
- Core Power Yoga has on demand classes.
- Our Kids’ Schools all recommend and use Go Noodle for helping kids stay active in small places.
- Three Rivers Parks recommends the 12Bursts Program for staying active at home: “Our partners at Cycle Health launched a fun new initiative the whole family can do at home! The 12Bursts program encourages physical activity through 12 activity “bursts” of five minutes each. Complete each day’s free Daily Dozen challenge in whatever way best fits your schedule. No special skills or equipment required. Learn more and get started today!”
MORE FAMILY SPORTS & FITNESS IDEAS
- Explore Local Parks. Most of them are open. Just try to choose activities that include social distancing. Hiking and biking are ideal activities. We have over 400 park reviews in our directory!
NOTE: Playgrounds are starting to close in some park systems. If you are planning to visit a playground, you may want to check your park’s website and maybe look for less populated parks.
- Drills: Since Little League has been cancelled in Minneapolis, we plan to incorporate these baseball drills into our day. Leave us a note if you have drills you like.
- Make Hikes More Exciting. Washington County Parks offers a variety of downloads to help explore their parks.
- At Home Activities: 45+ Fun Physical Activities for Kids of All Ages, Categorized.
- Backyard Activities: 60 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids
MAY 2020 EVENTS
5/16/20: Rotary People of Action 5K | Central Park, Maple Grove | 9am | $ | Enjoy a beautiful run through the paved paths of central park and along the lakes and gardens. Events include a 1 mile health walk, a timed 5K race and a timed competitive race event. Pet and stroller friendly. The facilities make it a fun surrounding for kids and adults to enjoy. Proceeds will go to military families.
5/30/20: Walk for Amazing | U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis | 7:30am-11:30am | Adult (19+): $25; Child (3-18): $15; Children (0-2): Free | A fundraiser to support clinical care, charity care and wrap-around support services at Children’s Minnesota. Join a ceremonial walk, hear inspiring stories and have big fun on the field.
5/30/20: Walk the Park | Trinity Gardens, Brooklyn Park | 9am-11am | A non-competitive and family-friendly opportunity to walk and play. Choose between 1 and 2 mile circles. Participate in as much or as little of the walk at your own pace. Please RSVP on Facebook.
5/31/20: 5K Spud Run (Ages 10+), Tater Run (Ages 6-12) & Tot Dash (ages 5 and under) | Brookdale Park, Brooklyn Park | 10am-11:30am | $20, $10 & $8 | Races for all ages. Register before May 1st for a t-shirt.
SUMMER 2020 EVENTS
6/27/20: Minnetonka Tot Trot | Civic Center Grounds (ice arena parking lot) | 4pm | FREE | Distance set by age group (1-3 blocks). No Registration required. All participants will receive a megal. Stick around for Summer Fest activities.
7/17/20: Amazing Race | St. Paul Rec Centers | 12pm-6pm | FREE | Teams from St. Paul rec centers will compete to be the first to make it to the final location by completing challenges and solving clues at each stop. Ages 9-14.
7/18/20: Kids Obstacle Challenge | Afton Alps | $36-$60 | An adventure and obstacle course race for kids ages 4-14. More information coming. Keep an eye on discounts sites like Goldstar. Last year their were plenty of deals to be found close to the event time.
8/1/20: Kids Triathalon | Lakeside Commons Park, Blaine | $ | Untimed race includes swimming (100 or 165 yards), biking (2.3 miles) and running (1 mile). Fee includes: Race Shirt, Swim Cap, Refreshments, and a Medal.
FALL 2020 EVENTS
10/3/20: Twin Cities Marathon Family Events | State Capitol Grounds, St. Paul | $7+ | Bring your family and friends to the fall-running kickoff event at the Minnesota State Capitol grounds. From the tiniest tots to serious runners, there’s something for everyone at the Twin Cities Marathon Weekend’s Saturday Events. Participants receive a shirt, a participant gift, a finisher’s medal, and admission to the activity tent with music and entertainment! Family event distances include:
- Half Mile
- Family Mile
- Toddler Trot
- Diaper Dash