Family Sports and Fitness are a great way to spend time together. A 2018 study has found that fathers who exercise raise healthier children – even into adulthood. Why not find fun ways to set that good example. We keep a running list (haha punny) of events that have been submitted to us here.
If you have a sporting event you would like to share, please keep in mind our parameters and mission. Events must be something that can be participated in as a family and it must be a stand-alone event with no long-term commitment. Please feel free to email Joy with your submissions
We recommend calling ahead to verify through the remainder of this spring season
April Family Sports & Fitness Opportunities
Washington County Story Strolls
“Recipe Rambles” are located at Big Marine Park Reserve and Cottage Grove Ravine Regional Park. The Story Adventure Trail at Big Marine Park Reserve is currently featuring Swirl by Swirl, by Joyce Sidman. (If you enjoy the book and want to own it, you can support both Family Fun Twin Cities and the independent bookstore of your choice by purchasing through our link.)
April 10th: St. Louis Park Walk the Park
Lamplighter Park, 16th & Pennsylvania Ave | FREE | 9:30-10:30am | Join the community to meet and walk 1-2 miles each month. In Case of Bad Weather: If it is raining, snowing or temps are below 40 degrees, meet at the front entrance of SLP High School to walk inside.
May Family Sports & Fitness Opportunities
May 3-14th: Virtual Walk for Amazing.
Dance, run, hula-hoop, juggle, and get your move on to raise funds for Children’s Minnesota. Join a team or participate as a family or individual. Registration is FREE, but this is a fundraiser.
May 21-23rd: Daisy Dash
In person: May 22nd @ 9am @ Rosland Park, Edina | $15-$35| 5k fundraiser for Pregnancy and Postpartum Support Minnesota. Choose between in-person and virtual participation options. Kids race and activities!
Summer Family Sports & Fitness Opportunities
June 5th: Kids Adventure Mud Run
Oakwood Park, Cottage Grove | $20 | Kids ages 6-12 attempt challenges like army crawls, slack lines, running ramps, net climb, tire run, spider webs, rock wall, hanging noodle dash and swinging ball. Register for half-hour time slot#550911-01 to -04.
June 5th: Trinity Gardens Walk the Park
Trinity Park, Brooklyn Park | FREE | Join a noncompetitive, family-friendly marked route forming a 1 and 2-mile circular walk. This event is open to any who wants to enjoy a relaxing walk or play activities at Trinity Gardens park.
June 12th: Young Mudder
Valley Place Park, Crystal | $25 | Kids ages 6-12 can get down and dirty as they run a muddy obstacle course. West Metro Fire will spray down participants before heading home. Live DJ. Register for Event #S17021A1.
July 10th: Twin Cities Color Run
July 17th: Kids Duathlon: Bike it. Run it. Du it.
August 7th: Tiny Tot Triathlon
August 12th: Zombie Apocalypse Chase
Carver Lake Park, Woodbury | $20 | Kids ages 8-12 find and safely return 30 plutonium rocks hidden around the park area while dodging made scientists. Participants encouraged to dress in their best zombie costumes. Register for #550911-06.
ANYTIME ONLINE OFFERINGS:
- The YMCA offers streaming videos for all ages. Most of this is adult-oriented, but they have a series of youth soccer videos.
- Core Power Yoga has on demand classes.
- Our Kids’ Schools all recommend and use Go Noodle for helping kids stay active in small places.
- Three Rivers Parks recommends the 12Bursts Program for staying active at home: “Our partners at Cycle Health launched a fun new initiative the whole family can do at home! The 12Bursts program encourages physical activity through 12 activity “bursts” of five minutes each. Complete each day’s free Daily Dozen challenge in whatever way best fits your schedule. No special skills or equipment required. Learn more and get started today!”
MORE FAMILY SPORTS & FITNESS IDEAS
- Explore Local Parks. Most of them are open. Just try to choose activities that include social distancing. Hiking and biking are ideal activities. We have over 400 park reviews in our directory!.
- Drills: Since Little League has been cancelled in Minneapolis, we plan to incorporate these baseball drills into our day. Leave us a note if you have drills you like.
- Play Ball! Minnesota Virtual Academy Webinars – Free webinars from Twins staff and Play Ball! Minnesota partners
- At Home Activities: 45+ Fun Physical Activities for Kids of All Ages, Categorized.
- Backyard Activities: 60 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids
- Bike: The Best Minneapolis Bike Trails for Families