Family Sports and Fitness are a great way to spend time together. A 2018 study has found that fathers who exercise raise healthier children – even into adulthood. Why not find fun ways to set that good example. We keep a running list (haha punny) of events that have been submitted to us here.
If you have a sporting event you would like to share, please keep in mind our parameters and mission. Events must be something that can be participated in as a family and it must be a stand-alone event with no long-term commitment. Please feel free to email Joy with your submissions
- The YMCA offers streaming videos for all ages. Most of this is adult-oriented, but they have a series of youth soccer videos.
- Core Power Yoga has on demand classes.
- Our Kids’ Schools all recommend and use Go Noodle for helping kids stay active in small places.
- Three Rivers Parks recommends the 12Bursts Program for staying active at home: “Our partners at Cycle Health launched a fun new initiative the whole family can do at home! The 12Bursts program encourages physical activity through 12 activity “bursts” of five minutes each. Complete each day’s free Daily Dozen challenge in whatever way best fits your schedule. No special skills or equipment required. Learn more and get started today!”
MORE FAMILY SPORTS & FITNESS IDEAS
- Explore Local Parks. Most of them are open. Just try to choose activities that include social distancing. Hiking and biking are ideal activities. We have over 400 park reviews in our directory!.
- Drills: Since Little League has been cancelled in Minneapolis, we plan to incorporate these baseball drills into our day. Leave us a note if you have drills you like.
- Play Ball! Minnesota Virtual Academy Webinars – Free webinars from Twins staff and Play Ball! Minnesota partners
- At Home Activities: 45+ Fun Physical Activities for Kids of All Ages, Categorized.
- Backyard Activities: 60 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids
- Bike: The Best Minneapolis Bike Trails for Families
SUMMER 2020 EVENTS
All Summer: Story Stroll | Phalen Park, El Rio Vista Rec Center | Sunrise – 11pm | FREE | Bring the kids outside and explore a book together while walking through nature. Please maintain 6 feet distance from other families and follow a one-family-per-page policy.
All Summer: Nearby Nature Programs at Minneapolis Parks | 6am-Midnight | FREE | Participate at your own pace in storywalks, yoga, orienteering and more and rotating parks throughout the city.
Now-8/31/20: St. Paul Fitness in the Parks | Free | Various parks
- Sundays • 9-10am • Kickboxing w/ Farrell’s eXtreme Kickboxing • Summit Overlook Park
- Mondays • 5-7pm • Vinyasa Yoga w/ Sandy LeMay M • Summit Overlook Park
- Tueadays • 6-6:45pm • PiYo w/ Gina Carlson • Phalen Beach House
- Thursdays • 5:30-7pm • Dancing Freedom w/ Teresa from Rooted and Rising • Hidden Falls Regional Park
Now-8/13/20: Eden Prairie Fitness in the Parks | Free | Free Classes at Staring Lake Amphitheatre.
- Mondays • 6–7pm • Family Yoga
- Tuesdays • 9–9:30am • Boot Camp Express
- Tuesdays • 6–7pm • Zumba
- Wednesdays • 9–9:30am. • Family Yoga
- Wednesdays • 6–6:45pm • POUND
- Thursdays • 9–10am • Pilates Stretch
- Thursdays • 4:30–5pm • Boot Camp Express
7/11/20-7/26/20: Allina Health Trail Mix Race Reimagined | $50/pp | Lake Rebecca Park Reserve | You can race any time you choose and submit your results during the two-week window. The course will be fully marked for the duration of the event. Choose between 50K, TCRC 25K, and 12.5K races on a 12.5K-looped turf trail course. All Ages.
7/11/20-7/26/20: Big Woods Classic With A Twist | $15-$30/pp | Lake Rebecca, Elm Creek Park, Murphy-Hanrehan | You can race any time you choose and submit your results during the two-week window. The courses will be fully marked for the duration of the event. Race one course or all three! All ages and abilities.
7/13/20-7/19/20: Tour de Vail – At Home | Fundraiser | Make a personal walking challenge to raise money and awareness for mental health recovery. All Ages.
7/18/20: Kids Duathlon: Bike it. Run it. Du it! | Colby Lake Park, Woodbury | $15 | A kids-only race! First bike two miles, then run one mile along the park trails. Helmet, bike, and proper athletic shoes required.
FALL 2020 EVENTS
10/3/20: Twin Cities Marathon Family Events | Virtual | $7+ | The Twin Cities Marathon has gone virtual, but that doesn’t mean your family is out of luck. From the tiniest tots to serious runners, there’s something for everyone at the Twin Cities Marathon. Family event distances include:
- Half Mile
- Family Mile
- Toddler Trot
- Diaper Dash