Family Sports and Fitness are a great way to spend time together. A 2018 study has found that fathers who exercise raise healthier children – even into adulthood. Why not find fun ways to set that good example. We keep a running list (haha punny) of events that have been submitted to us here.
If you have a sporting event you would like to share, please keep in mind our parameters and mission. Events must be something that can be participated in as a family and it must be a stand-alone event with no long-term commitment. Please feel free to email Joy with your submissions
Washington County Story Strolls
“Recipe Rambles” are located at Big Marine Park Reserve and Cottage Grove Ravine Regional Park. The Story Adventure Trail at Big Marine Park Reserve is currently featuring Swirl by Swirl, by Joyce Sidman. (If you enjoy the book and want to own it, you can support both Family Fun Twin Cities and the independent bookstore of your choice by purchasing through our link.)
St. Paul Fitness in the Park
September 18th: Born To Run 5k Fun
Pioneer Park, Little Canada | FREE, but Donations Welcome | 5K Run/Walk Event and Family Fun Day. Registration opens at 8:30 am. Runners begin at 9am. Walkers begin at 10am
September 18th: The DSI Triathalon
Red Wing | $20-$150 | 4K Untimed Run/Walk/Wheel or Triathlon through Red Wing parks. Make a day of it in Red Wing with the Children’s Book Festival.
October 2nd: Twin Cities Marathon Family Day
State Capitol, St. Paul | Register Here | Family Events include a Diaper Dash, Toddler Trot, Half-Mile, or Family Mile. From training to cheering – Find more Twin Cities Marathon Family Fun Here.
ANYTIME ONLINE OFFERINGS:
- The YMCA offers streaming videos for all ages. Most of this is adult-oriented, but they have a series of youth soccer videos.
- Core Power Yoga has on demand classes.
- Go Noodle is recommended by schools for helping kids stay active in small places.
- 12Bursts Program is recommended by Three Rivers Parks, for staying active at home: “Our partners at Cycle Health launched a fun new initiative the whole family can do at home! The 12Bursts program encourages physical activity through 12 activity “bursts” of five minutes each. Complete each day’s free Daily Dozen challenge in whatever way best fits your schedule. No special skills or equipment required. Learn more and get started today!”
- Play Ball! Minnesota Virtual Academy Webinars – Free webinars from Twins staff and Play Ball! Minnesota partners
MORE FAMILY SPORTS & FITNESS IDEAS
- Explore Local Parks. Most of them are open. Just try to choose activities that include social distancing. Hiking and biking are ideal activities. We have over 400 park reviews in our directory!.
- Drills: Little league is back in 2021, but we still plan to incorporate these baseball drills into our day. Leave us a note if you have drills you like.
- At Home Activities: 45+ Fun Physical Activities for Kids of All Ages, Categorized.
- Backyard Activities: 60 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids
- Bike: The Best Minneapolis Bike Trails for Families