Todd Miltenberger (the mastermind behind our beautiful logo on FFTC) has a great suggestion for your summer fun that he and his family like to do together: Disc Golf.
This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you.
Todd and Andrea have two kids, Zeke-14 and Myriam- 11. Their family loves to spend time in the outdoors, but they also love a good movie.
“Friday home-made pizza and movie night is tied with campfire smoritos in the northwoods. I think I like food!” Todd said about two of his favorite activities to do with his family. The smoritos are amazing. Wrap s’mores ingredients inside a tortilla and melt it on the campfire. The Miltenbergers introduced these to our family, and we couldn’t be happier!
Todd is a very active dad. He is passionate about cycling (he practically grew up in the family-owned bike shop) and hiking/climbing. Each winter, he likes to make a quinzee (snow cave) in the backyard and camp out there with his kids. And he makes some of the best Halloween costumes I have ever seen for Zeke.
Disc Golf (the proper name for Frisbee Golf) is a family fun activity for the Miltenbergers. It’s one they can enjoy easily in the Twin Cities with the different courses around the metro. Many of them are free.
Disc Golf: a game in which a concave plastic disc is thrown into each of a series of metal baskets situated on an outdoor course, the object being to complete the course using the fewest possible throws.
In other words think golf with a frisbee-like disc instead of a small ball and clubs. (It’s not Frisbee Golf since Frisbee is a brand name, much like Hooping is not Hula Hooping since Hula is a brand name. If you want to get technical.)
- A couple of discs: a driver and a putter. If you want a third, feel free to grab a midrange disc. Use the driver at the tee and the putter on the approach, just like in traditional golf.
- A disc golf course. You can pick up a map online or at any of these locations, but to help you get started, Todd has some suggestions.
- Acorn Park • 286 County Rd. C, Roseville, MN
- Brockway Disc Golf Course • 13669 Bronze Pkwy, Rosemount, MN
- Bryant Lake Regional Park • 6800 Rowland Rd, Eden Prairie, MN
- Bunker Hills Disc Golf • Andover, MN
- Elm Creek Park • 12400 James Dean Parkway, Maple Grove, MN
- Garlough Park • West St. Paul, MN
- Hansen Park • 1555 5th St. NW, New Brighton, MN
- Highland Disc Golf Course • Montreal Ave., St. Paul, MN
- Kaposia Park • 1028 Wilde Ave., South St. Paul, MN
- Lochness Park • 11121 Lexington Ave NE, Blaine, MN
- North Valley Park • 2800 70th St. E, Inver Grove Heights, MN
- Oakwood Park • 7851 Harkness Ave S., Cottage Grove, MN
- Plymouth Creek Playfield • 3625 Fernbrook Ln N, Plymouth, MN
- Red Oak Park • 12100 River Hills Drive, Burnsville, MN
- Silverwood Park • 2700 county Road I, Mounds View, MN
- Staring Lake Disc Golf • 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN
- Zachary Playfield • 4355 Zachary Lane N, Plymouth, MN