Todd Miltenberger (the mastermind behind our beautiful logo on FFTC) has a great suggestion for your summer fun that he and his family like to do together: Disc Golf (also known as Frisbee Golf or Frolf)
Click here for Quick Guide to Metro Disc Golf Courses
What is Disc Golf?
Disc Golf (the proper name for Frisbee Golf) is a family fun activity for the Miltenbergers. It’s one they can enjoy easily in the Twin Cities with the different courses around the metro. Many of them are free.
Disc Golf: a game in which a concave plastic disc is thrown into each of a series of metal baskets situated on an outdoor course, the object being to complete the course using the fewest possible throws.
In other words think golf with a frisbee-like disc instead of a small ball and clubs. (It’s not Frisbee Golf since Frisbee is a brand name, much like Hooping is not Hula Hooping since Hula is a brand name. If you want to get technical.)
Disc Golfing is a easy sport to jump into. You need two things.
- A couple of discs: a driver and a putter. If you want a third, feel free to grab a midrange disc. Use the driver at the tee and the putter on the approach, just like in traditional golf.
- A disc golf course. You can pick up a map online or at any of these locations, but to help you get started, Todd has some suggestions.
- Three Rivers Park District offers a little more instruction on how to play disc golf here.
Todd’s Top 3 FREE Disc Golf Courses
- Bassett Creek Park | Crystal
A free course with 15 holes and not too many places to lose discs.
- Ham Lake Park
There are not too many trees, and it’s easier for beginners.
- Central Park | Brooklyn Park
This course has only 9 holes and a practice green.
MINNEAPOLIS & ST PAUL
- Highland Disc Golf Course | Montreal Ave., St. Paul, MN
- Highland Park: A good frolfing choice with small kids. You can visit the playground when they need an unstructured break.
- Hillcrest Knoll Park | 1672 Hoyt Ave E, Saint Paul, MN 55106
- Theodore Wirth Regional Park | 1301 Theodore Wirth Pkwy Minneapolis, MN 55422. This course is not free. Find rates and rules here.
- Acorn Park | 286 County Rd. C, Roseville, MN
- Bunker Hills Disc Golf | Andover, MN
- Elm Creek Park | 12400 James Dean Parkway, Maple Grove, MN
- Hansen Park | 1555 5th St. NW, New Brighton, MN
- Lochness Park | 11121 Lexington Ave NE, Blaine, MN
- Orchard Trail Park | 10601 Oxbow Creek Dr N, Brooklyn Park, MN (practice baskets)
- Plymouth Creek Playfield | 3625 Fernbrook Ln N, Plymouth, MN
- Silver View Park | 2700 county Road I, Mounds View, MN 55112
- Zachary Playfield | 4355 Zachary Lane N, Plymouth, MN
- After a game of disc golf at Bunker Hills, add a visit to the tank,
- Arcola Heights Park | 15300 100th St N, Stillwater, MN
- Baylor Regional Park | County Road 33, Norwood Young America, MN
- Brockway Disc Golf Course | 13669 Bronze Pkwy, Rosemount, MN
- Garlough Park | West St. Paul, MN
- Kaposia Park | 1028 Wilde Ave., South St. Paul, MN
- North Valley Park | 2800 70th St. E, Inver Grove Heights, MN
- Northview Park | 980 Northview Park Road, Eagan, MN
- Oakwood Park | 7851 Harkness Ave S., Cottage Grove, MN
- Red Oak Park | 12100 River Hills Drive, Burnsville, MN
- Hyland Hills Ski Area | 8800 Chalet Road, Bloomington, MN 55438
- Off Season Hyland Hills Ski Area becomes a Pay Disc Golf Course
- Bryant Lake Regional Park | 6800 Rowland Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- Staring Lake Disc Golf | 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
- Rosland Park | 4300 W. 66th St., Edina, MN 55435
This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you. As an Amazon affiliate, Family Fun Twin Cities earns on qualified purchases.
More about Todd
Todd and Andrea have two kids, Zeke- and Myriam. Their family loves to spend time in the outdoors, but they also love a good movie.
“Friday home-made pizza and movie night is tied with campfire smoritos in the northwoods. I think I like food!” Todd said about two of his favorite activities to do with his family. The smoritos are amazing. Wrap s’mores ingredients inside a tortilla and melt it on the campfire. The Miltenbergers introduced these to our family, and we couldn’t be happier!
Todd is a very active dad. He is passionate about cycling (he practically grew up in the family-owned bike shop) and hiking/climbing. Each winter, he likes to make a quinzee (snow cave) in the backyard and camp out there with his kids. And he makes some of the best Halloween costumes I have ever seen for Zeke.