While we specialize in knowing about local family fun in the Twin Cities, sometimes we break the mold and branch out beyond Minneapolis and Saint Paul with our kids to find family fun on day & road trips! Here are some of the best day trips and road trip destinations from the Twin Cities, fun and fresh ideas tested by our own FFTC Team!
Kid-Friendly Getaways Near the Twin Cities
Got a vacation, day or road trip destination you recommend or want to hear about? Looking for particular tips on traveling with kids? Have a suggestion for great road trip games? We really want to hear about that! Leave us a comment and let us know what destination you would like to see us cover next. We would love to help you create your next road trip plans.
Fish Boil in Door County:
31 Ideas for Family Fun Within a Day's Drive of the Twin Cities
Some of these tourist attractions are even right in the Twin Cities but attract visitors from all over the world. Others will require an overnight stay, but all will pack in the family fun:
- 8 Twin Cities Waterfalls to Visit With Kids
- Camp on Lake Pepin at Frontenac State Park
- Celebrate Paul Bunyon Day in Bemidji and get photos with Paul and Babe the Blue Ox
- Choose among 150 kinds of root beer at Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store in Jordan!
- Climb Barn Bluff (He Mni Can) in Red Wing, Minnesota
- Do the Mall of America Family Guide, Floor By Floor
- Drive to Wisconsin Dells for a Drive-In Movie
- Drop By Teddy Bear Park During a Day in Stillwater, Minnesota
- Explore the Mississippi River in Downtown Minneapolis
- Feel the Hometown Christmas Atmosphere in these Minnesota Small Towns
- Fossil Hunt at Hill Annex Mine State Park
- Go on a Split Rock Lighthouse Tour on Lake Superior in Two Harbors During the Summer Months
- Have an outdoor adventure at St. Croix Bluffs Regional Park, Hastings
- Hike Big Marine Park Reserve, Marine on St Croix
- Investigate Sculptures and Outdoor Art: 12 Minnesota Sculpture Parks to Visit with Kids – Including the World-Famous Franconia Sculpture Park
- Minnesota State Park Campgrounds
- Pizza Farm Day Trips for Summer Evenings
- “Purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka” or just take advantage of the filtered, chlorinated swim pond at Lake Minnetonka Regional Park
- Rent Kayaks for a Fall Colors in Minnesota Plus 10 More Autumn Tours for Families
- Ride the Pizza Train on the North Shore Scenic Railroad
- Shop for Red Wing Shoes and Red Wing Pottery in Red Wing
- Ski Afton Alps Ski Resort and Trails
- Splurge on a Visit to the Great Lakes Aquarium
- Take a paddle wheeler out on the St Croix at Interstate State Park
- Take an Indoor Waterpark Vacation at Arrowwood Resort in Alexandria, MN
- Travel by Streetcar While Exploring Excelsior, MN
- Tour Glensheen Mansion When It’s Decorated for the Holidays
- Twin Cities to Duluth & 10 Fun Stops for Families
- Visit the Apostle Islands with Wilderness Inquiry
- Lake Minnetonka Regional Park, Minnestrista
- Zip Line at Kerfoot Adventure Park or in the Brainerd Lakes Area.
More Related Travel Articles:
- Family Travel and Fun Around The Country – Going on a vacation to another state? If you are planning on a road trip or any type of family travel this summer in the USA, you may want to check out these Family Fun sites. Like Family Fun Twin Cities, they can help you in your planning for a fun vacation with your family, kids and all. You might even find some nice insider tips from these locally-owned websites.
- Membership: The No-Clutter Gift of Together Time – Many of the destinations on our road trip list have Minnesota Historical Society sites, state parks or reciprocal membership privileges with Twin Cities museums.
- Military Discounts: Minnesota Blue Star Museums 2021- Free Admission for Military Families
Follow our Family Travel Board for More Ideas for Road Trips
We love gathering ideas on Pinterest for day trips, road trips, family travel and family fun in general. If you are a visual learner, come follow us on Pinterest for visual ideas for life with kids in the Twin Cities.
Where should we explore next? The Spam Museum in Austin? The Reptile & Amphibian Discovery Zoo in Medford? The Minnesota Music Hall of Fame? Vote in the comments and let us know your favorite ideas for touring in and around Minnesota.