We love finding kid-friendly shows, music and all the performing arts. We also recognize they take some pre-planning. We’ll keep a running list of current and upcoming performances on this page so you can peruse ahead and pick your favorites. The lovely thing about children’s theatre is that there are almost always books to go along with the performance.
ANYTIME, AT HOME OPTIONS
• Anytime: The Museum of Modern Art in NY offers a collection of family friendly short films. Thank you to the City of Eagan’s “Discover Eagan at Home” for this idea. Check out their page for more ideas to entertain the family while at home.
MAY 2021 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMAN
• Now-May 13, 2021: Twelve Dancing Princesses – Out of the Box Experience | Stages Theatre, Hopkins • Watch the stage production on your own schedule during the week of your choice. The corresponding box includes the book and activities, like crafts, recipes, plus an in-person outdoor experience • Ages 3+ • Tickets $50/box.
• Saturday, May 8, 2021 @ 2pm-2:30pm: VocalEssence On Demand – Celebrate | VocalEssence Website • Move your body and raise your voice to celebrate the beauty of Mexico. Join VocalEssence Singers of This Age and local school partners as they perform new music written by Mexican composer Julio Morales. Dancers from Los Alegres Bailadores will lead Mexican folk dances, and join Associate Conductor G. Phillip Shoultz, III in singing Mexican songs to celebrate the day. Tickets: $15/Household.
• May 19, 2021: Organ Concert – Jessica Park, D.M.A., Assistant Director of Music, Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas, University of St. Thomas | St. Olaf Catholic Church, Downtown Minneapolis • A great way for kids and their family to experience music performed by local professionals in short 30-minute concerts. Wednesday recitals will follow the noon Mass, and begin at approximately 12:30pm. They will also do their best to live stream on Facebook and the St. Olaf website. FREE.
JUNE 2021 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMANCES
JULY 2021 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMANCES
FALL 2021 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMANCES
NOVEMBER 2021 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMANCES
2022 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMANCES
• 6/24/22-8/7/22: Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Jr. | Stages Theatre, Hopkins • Somewhat based on the Hans Christian Andersen story, but mostly a Disney story. Read Gianna’s review of the 2015 production here. • All Ages • Tickets $17.00-$24.00.
2023 KID-FRIENDLY SHOWS & PERFORMANCES
Find Discounts on Performing Arts:
- Check with your local library to see if there are any tickets available with the smARTpass program.
- Children’s Theater Discounts: ACT Pass Scholarship Program, Rush Tickets $15.
- Minnesota Orchestra Discounts include Rush Tickets $25; 50% off if you bike, $20 under 40. – Their kid-friendly shows are usually reasonably priced.
- Open Eye Discounts include pay as you are able at the door.
- Stages Theatre Discounts: Open Door Scholarship Program; Up to 3 Pay What You Can Performances per year.
- SteppingStone Theatre Discounts: Pay As You Are Able Shows
- SPCO – Kids tickets are free with paid adult; Look for Free Family Concerts – these kid-friendly shows are geared toward younger children.
- Youth Performance Company Discounts: Sign up for their newsletters to get announcements for $5 nights.
- Broadway Touring Plays through Hennepin Trust: Check your AAA benefits before ordering tickets, you could save up to 20%.
- For more ideas read Joy’s strategies in Free and Cheap: Family Fun on a Limited Income.
- Lisa from Twin Cities Frugal Mom keeps a running directory of discounts.
- Find the deals below from affiliate partner, Goldstar*. You can choose the “Family” category to find kid-friendly shows.