Tot Times and Open Gym were my savior when my firstborn was a squirrelly toddler who needed a space to run off his pent-up wintertime energy. A few years later, I had four littles under the age of 7 who were climbing the walls and testing the limits of my sanity. Perhaps you find yourself in the same boat? Browse through our listings of Indoor toddler activities to find an open gym, open playtime or open swim near you and treat yourself to a (near) guaranteed nap time.
Disclaimer: While we do our best to keep up with changes, Tot Times, Open Play and Open Gym times are subject to change without notice. We recommend calling or clicking on the accompanying links to double check our information before heading out. Updated and verified 11/11/2020. See page 2 for closed or not-yet-announced indoor play.
PRESCHOOL TOT TIMES, OPEN PLAY & GYM AT COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTERS
Featured Partner: Music Together in the Valley
Music Together: Exciting, award-winning music and movement classes for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, K-2nd graders—and the grownups who love them! Completely online for the Winter 2021 Session.
It’s safe, convenient, engaging, effective, stress relieving, connection building and totally fun. Even though your teacher is on the screen, each class is designed to be an active music-making experience for the whole family. Tuition includes one live 30-minute class each week plus weekly Tuesday evening ‘Musical Play Dates’ and Thursday evening ‘Songs, Stories and Lullabies’ and every other week Saturday night dance parties. FUN!
Free demonstration classes anytime at MusicTogetherClasses.org under ‘Demos.’
If you are looking for ways to get the whole family moving, check out our
Family Sports & Fitness Calendar.
MINNEAPOLIS TODDLER ACTIVITIES – OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
When: Times & parks vary
Ages/Cost: 5 & under with caregiver | FREE | Limited options in 2020.
Details: Finding tot times in the Minneapolis parks can be tricky. Click the above link and type “parent tot” into the activity search box to get a list of parks that offer drop-in Indoor toddler activities and play with scooters, balls, tumbling mats and more. You’ll need to sign up for an active pass, but it is free and you can do that the first time you go in.
We are not aware of any St. Paul open gym, tot times or indoor toddler activities for the fall/winter of 2020. If you know of anything, please leave a comment and we will share with the community.
TWIN CITIES NORTH METRO OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
Program: Parent/Tot Time | Maple Grove Community Center | 2020: Accepting Reservations for court time
When: Reservations for blocks of time will be based on the scheduled activities in the gym. One person can reserve for a group up to six (6) people/players or one family per time slot.
Ages/Cost: $5/Residents; $6/Non-Residents.
Program: Tot Time Open Gym | Hayes Elementary Gym, Fridley | Reopens Jan 23-Feb 20, 2021
When: Enjoy free play with balls, hoops, scooters, jump ropes, music and more. Capacity is limited. (Thank you to our reader, Ally, for this information)
Ages/Cost: Drop in fee: $2 per child / $4 per family
TWIN CITIES SOUTH METRO OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
Program: Family Open Gym | Apple Valley Community Center
When: Monday through Friday, 12:30-2:30pm
Ages/Cost: Ages 17 and under w/ caregiver, FREE
Details: Open to families of all ages with adults actively participating. One household family per basket. Read about social distancing and safety precautions here.
Program: Millz House Open Play
When: Weekdays 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm (Reservations Required, call 952-446-5858)
Ages/Cost: $6/child; parents and babies under 18 months free.
Details: Work out the wiggles with indoor playsets, trampolines and basketball courts. Find social distancing and health/safety guidelines here.
Program: Open Gym | Eagan Community Center
When: Online Signup available for basketball or pickleball courts.
Ages/Cost: All ages. Children must be accompanied by a paid adult; $4/resident; $6/non-resident.
Details: The blast is still closed, so this would just be court time.
Program: Open Walk/Jog | Savage Sports Center (See page 2, tot times are not happening this year).
When: November 9 – April; Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 6:30 – 9:30 a.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, noon – 3 p.m
Details: We know this isn’t the same as Tot Time, but strollers are welcome. When you need an indoor space to get active, know that this is an option.
TWIN CITIES WEST METRO OPEN GYM, TOT TIMES & INDOOR TODDLER ACTIVITIES
We are not aware of any west metro open gym, tot times or indoor toddler activities for the fall/winter of 2020. If you know of anything, please leave a comment and we will share with the community.
TWIN CITIES EAST METRO OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
We are not aware of any east metro open gym, tot times or indoor toddler activities for the fall/winter of 2020. If you know of anything, please leave a comment and we will share with the community.
OPEN TWIN CITIES INDOOR PLAYGROUNDS & PLAY CENTERS
INDOOR PLAYGROUNDS – click the above graphic for all the details!
- Giggle Factory | Hudson WI | Pre-purchases passes online
- Good Times Park | Eagan | Reservations Required
- InnerActive | Minnetonka & Mounds View
- Maple Maze | Maple Grove | Reservations Required
- Millz House | Apple Valley | Reservations Required
- Minnesota Playseum | Minnetonka | Reservations Required
- Pump It Up | Eden Prairie | Pre-Registration Recommended
- Rainbow Play Systems | Bloomington | Reservations Required
- Rockin’ Jump | Eagan | Reservations Required
- SkyZone Indoor Trampoline Park | Edina, Blaine, Maple Grove & Oakdale | Purchase Tickets Online
- Tropical Adventure Indoor Playground | Shoreview |Open with Limited Capacity
- Williston Treehouse | Minnetonka | Open to Members Only
INDOOR PLAY SPACES
MiniSota Play Cafe | Champlin | Open by Reservation/Limited Walk-Ins
When: 2020 Hours are inconsistent, but they are updating Google regularly.
Ages/Cost: Ages 1-9/$12, ages 6-12 mon/$5, adults $3 (or free with beverage purchase)
Details: MiniSota is currently the only location in the Twin Cities that combines an open play center with a cafe. Between themed days, storytimes and music classes there’s always special Indoor toddler activities going on (so check the calendar).
OPEN SWIM AT TWIN CITIES WATER PARKS & POOLS
Swimming can be a wonderful way to squeeze in a workout during the frigid winter months in Minnesota. Use this list of Twin Cities Indoor Waterparks and Pools to find tot times, open swims and special ways to save on splashing your way through the winter. Or, here’s a quick list:
- Chaska Community Center Pool – 2020 online sign up required for pool use
- Eden Prairie Aquatics Center – 2020 online sign up required for pool use
- Great Wolf Lodge | Bloomington – 2020: Limited day passes available
- Grove Cove Aquatic Center | Maple Grove – 2020 online sign up required for pool use
- The Grove Aquatic Center | Inver Grove Heights – first come, first serve up to 60 people
- Tropics Indoor Water Park | Shoreview – 2020 online sign up required for waterpark
- Williston Fitness Center | Minnetonka – 2020 members only
More Ideas for Indoor Destinations During the Fall of 2020
- Como Park Zoo Conservatory, St. Paul. Reservations Required.
- Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley. Reservations Required.
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis. Reservations Required.
- Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis. Reservations Required.
- Minnesota Children’s Museum, Saint Paul. Reservations Required.
- Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul. Reservations Required.
- Mall of America, particularly on Tuesdays, including:
Where are you taking your stir-crazy toddler or preschooler this fall? Leave us a comment and we’ll share your ideas with the community!
Find hundreds more things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul with kids!
*Links to Amazon are affiliate links and Family Fun Twin Cities receives a small commission on any sales.