Tot Times and Open Gym were my savior when my firstborn was a squirrelly toddler who needed a space to run off his pent-up wintertime energy. A few years later, I had four littles under the age of 7 who were climbing the walls and testing the limits of my sanity. Perhaps you find yourself in the same boat? Browse through our listings of indoor toddler activities to find an open gym, open playtime or open swim near you and treat yourself to a (near) guaranteed nap time.
Disclaimer: While we do our best to keep up with changes, Tot Times, Open Play and Open Gym times are subject to change without notice. We recommend calling or clicking on the accompanying links to double check our information before heading out. Updated and verified 3/16/2021. See page 2 for closed or not-yet-announced indoor play.
PRESCHOOL TOT TIMES, OPEN PLAY & GYM AT COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTERS
Featured Partner: Music Together in the Valley
Music Together: Exciting, award-winning music and movement classes for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, K-2nd graders—and the grownups who love them! Completely online for the Winter 2021 Session.
It’s safe, convenient, engaging, effective, stress relieving, connection building and totally fun. Even though your teacher is on the screen, each class is designed to be an active music-making experience for the whole family. Tuition includes one live 30-minute class each week plus weekly Tuesday evening ‘Musical Play Dates’ and Thursday evening ‘Songs, Stories and Lullabies’ and every other week Saturday night dance parties. FUN!
Free demonstration classes anytime at MusicTogetherClasses.org under ‘Demos.’
If you are looking for ways to get the whole family moving, check out our
Family Sports & Fitness Calendar.
MINNEAPOLIS & ST PAUL TODDLER ACTIVITIES
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
When: Times & parks vary, open gyms begin in Fall 2021
Ages/Cost: 5 & under with caregiver | FREE
Details: Finding tot times in the Minneapolis parks can be tricky. Click the above link and type “indoor playground” into the activity search box to get a list of parks that offer drop-in Indoor toddler activities and play with scooters, balls, tumbling mats and more. You’ll need to sign up for an active pass, but it is free and you can do that the first time you go in.
When: Times & parks vary and require pre-registration for specific time slot
Ages/Cost: 6 & under with caregiver | FREE
Details: St. Paul Tot time and open gym hours are open for Fall 2021. Advanced reservations are available. Public health guidelines, including face coverings and physical distancing, will be in place.
TWIN CITIES NORTH METRO
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
ANDOVER COMMUNITY CENTER
Drop in for unstructured play time and special activities. Be sure to check the calendar for the latest schedule. October 2021-April 2022, most Mon & Tues, 9:30-11:30am. Ages 6 & under w/ caregiver, $3-$4/child.
MAPLE GROVE COMMUNITY CENTER
Please contact the Community Center for the Fall 2021 gym schedule. Cost is $3/$3.50 per child, parents free during tot time only.
TWIN CITIES SOUTH METRO
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
APPLE VALLEY COMMUNITY CENTER
Hosted after Sept 7, 2021. Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, 9-11am. $15 membership or $3 drop-in. Make sure to pre-register.
Admission is FREE for families. Sundays, 12-3pm.
MILLZ HOUSE – APPLE VALLEY
Work out the wiggles with indoor playsets, trampolines and basketball courts. Find social distancing and health/safety guidelines here. Cost is $6/child; parents and babies under 18 months free. Weekdays 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm (Reservations required, call 952-446-5858)
CHASKA COMMUNITY CENTER
Currently, Tot Time in the gym is held Thursdays from 11:30am-12:30pm. Tot Time Swim for kids ages 6 & under is Mon-Fri-Sun, 9-10:30am. These activities, plus the indoor playground, are included with membership fee or drop-in fee of $9-$11/pp.
EAGAN COMMUNITY CENTER
Open to children 0-5 years old and their caregiver adult. The Gym and The Blast are both included in admission. Tues & Thurs, 9am-12pm. Cost is $5/child, or a 10 visit punch pass for $45.
GLEASON’S GYMNASTICS SCHOOL – EAGAN
Have the run of the equipment! Kids can jump on the trampolines, launch themselves into the foam pit, walk the balance beam, follow obstacle courses, swing from the trapeze and more. Wed 9:30-11:30am & Fri 9:30-noon; Ages 0-K, $8/child or $10/family. Registration required.
Savage Sports Center
Toddlers can play on inflatables, throw balls, hit with bats, and more, all equipment provided. November-April, Tues & Thurs, 9-11:30am. Ages 5 & under, $3/child.
TWIN CITIES WEST METRO OPEN GYM,
TOT TIMES & INDOOR TODDLER ACTIVITIES
Back for Spring 2022, playtime moves to the indoor turf where there’s more room to run! Kids 5 & under can play with bounce houses, climbing wall, sport balls, crawl tunnels, blocks, trikes and more. Early March thru April 2022, Mon-Fri, 9am-2pm. $5/child.
TWIN CITIES EAST METRO
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
We are not aware of any east metro open gym, tot times or indoor toddler activities for the fall of 2021. If you know of anything, please leave a comment and we will share with the community.
OPEN TWIN CITIES INDOOR PLAYGROUNDS & PLAY CENTERS
This is a short synopsis of indoor playgrounds. Click the above graphic for a more detailed article.
- BLOOMINGTON:RAINBOW PLAY SYSTEMS – Weekdays 10am-5pm. $8-$10/2-hour session.
- EAGAN: BLAST INDOOR PLAYGROUND
- EAGAN: GOOD TIMES PARK – $9/child. 7am-9:30pm daily.
- EAGAN: ROCKIN JUMP JUNIOR JUMPERS – Fri: 9am-Noon or Sun: 9am-11am. $12/parent-child pair
- EDEN PRAIRIE: PUMP IT UP – No tot times, but tots 34″ and taller can jump during open jumps. $7-$8/child.
- EDINA: ADVENTURE PEAK INDOOR PLAYGROUND – Open by online advance registration. $8/child
- HUDSON, WI: GIGGLE FACTORY – Weekdays 9am-2pm; weekends 9am-1pm. $8/child with multiple-child discounts.
- MAPLE GROVE: MAPLE MAZE INDOOR PLAYGROUND – $5.50-$6.50/child.
- MINNETONKA: WILLISTON TREEHOUSE – Community center fees apply.
- MINNETONKA & MOUNDS VIEW: INNER ACTIVE – 7am-7:30pm daily. $11.25/child.
- NEW BRIGHTON: EAGLES NEST INDOOR PLAYGROUND – $6.50/child.
- SHOREVIEW: TROPICAL ADVENTURE INDOOR PLAYGROUND
- WOODBURY: LOOKOUT RIDGE INDOOR PLAYGROUND – $5.50/pp.
SUBURBAN TWIN CITIES – MULTIPLE LOCATIONS
- SkyZone Indoor Trampoline Park | Edina, Blaine, Maple Grove & Oakdale | Purchase Tickets Online – Weekdays at 10am. $10/child
INDOOR PLAY SPACES
MiniSota Play Cafe | Maple Grove
Ages/Cost: Ages 1-9/$12, ages 6-12 mon/$5, adults $3 (or free with beverage purchase)
Details: MiniSota is currently the only location in the Twin Cities that combines an open play center with a café. Between themed days, storytimes and music classes there’s always special Indoor toddler activities going on (so check the calendar).
Minnesota Playseum | Ridgedale Mall, Minnetonka
When: Drop-In Play. Mon-Thurs 11am-6pm; Fri & Sat 11am-8pm; Sun 1pm-6pm
Ages/Cost: Ages 1-99. 12/pp.
Details: A bit like the Children’s Museum, but in the mall. Explore a bakery, art studio, science bar, play shops and restaurants, as well as places to read together. Staff on hand to help with projects at various stations.
OPEN SWIM AT TWIN CITIES
WATER PARKS & POOLS
Swimming can be a wonderful way to squeeze in a workout during the frigid winter months in Minnesota. Use this list of Twin Cities Indoor Waterparks and Pools to find tot times, open swims and special ways to save on splashing your way through the winter. Or, here’s a quick list:
- Chaska Community Center Pool | Tot Times Monday-Saturday 9am-10:30am – Reservations Required. Included with daily admission ($7.38-$10.25/pp)
- Eden Prairie Aquatics Center | See Weekly Schedules for Tot Times. Included with daily admission. ($5.50 – tots up to 4 years; $7.50 adults; $20 family)
- Great Wolf Lodge | Bloomington | Cub Paw Pool is designed for toddlers. Half-Day and Full-Day Passes available (prices vary and subject to availability).
- Grove Cove Aquatic Center | Maple Grove | No specific tot times, but book leisure pool times here.
- The Grove Aquatic Center | Inver Grove Heights | Sensory Friendly swims are open to all and families with toddlers are encouraged to take advantage of these times. Find Swim Schedule Here | $6/ ages 1-11; $9 for 12+.
- Tropics Indoor Water Park | Shoreview | No specific tot times, but book waterpark reservations here. $8.75-$10.25/pp
- Williston Fitness Center | Minnetonka | No specific tot times, but open swim times available at limited capacity until June 1st. Beginning June 1, 2021 capacity limits and reservations will no longer be required. $6/children; $10/adult.
Seasonal Outdoor Pools:
- Crystal Cove Aquatic Center | Little Splasher Pool Times – Select Saturdays 10:30am-12:30pm. ($3/child). 2021: Saturdays, June 26, July 17, July 24, July 31, Aug. 7, Aug.14, Aug.21.
- Minneapolis Wading Pools | Open to everyone, but best enjoyed by smaller kids. FREE. Open Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day (unless adjacent to a school, then they open the Saturday after the last day of school.)
Where are you taking your stir-crazy toddler or preschooler this fall? Leave us a comment and we’ll share your ideas with the community!
Find hundreds more things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul with kids!
OPEN GYMS WE HOPE TO SEE RETURN IN 2022
Program: Kids Open Rec | Creekside Community Center, 9801 Penn Ave. S | Spring 2021: Currently Cancelled.
When: Last Sunday of each month; 10am-Noon
Ages/Cost: 8 & under, $2/child, caregivers free
Details: Children age 8 and under with a parent or guardian can enjoy open rec. For additional details, call 952-563-4944
Program: Preschool Playtime Open Gym | Crystal Community Center Gym | 2020/2021: Not offered
When: Wed, early October-mid April, 10-11:30am
Ages/Cost: 1-5, $3/child
Details: Jump, crawl, build and play the winter away in 3 gyms. 1 adult to every 3 kids required. Punch cards available for discounted visits.
Program: Tot Time Open Gym | Eden Prairie Community Center | 2020/2021: Currently Cancelled
When: Mon, Wed, Fri, 9-11:15 am – Sept–May
Ages/Cost: Best for ages 1-4; $5/pp ages 1-4, $6/pp ages 5+, under 1 and caregivers free.
Details: Participate in indoor toddler activities and free play with balls, hoops, scooters, jump ropes, tumbling mats, parachutes, and more. For $6/pp, admission to the Prairie Play Zone indoor playground is included.
Program: Tot Time | Braemar Field | 2020/2021: Postponed until further notice
When: Ongoing Mon & Wed; October-April; 9-11am
Ages/Cost: At your discretion (w/ adult), $5/child
Details: Room to run, age appropriate toys and some organized games. Keep in mind when dressing – temp is set at 55 degrees. Also, Family Night $5/pp.
Program: Tot Time Open Gym | Hayes Elementary Gym
When: Saturdays, March 6- April 3, 2021. 10am-11am. (Times are listed in the Parks & Rec Brochures)
Ages/Cost: Drop in fee: $2 per child / $4 per family
Details: Enjoy free play with balls, hoops, scooters, jump ropes, music and more. Capacity is limited. (Thank you to our reader, Ally, for this information).
Program: Preschool Gymboree | Maplewood Community Center | 2020/2021: Not currently offered
When: Thur, 10-11:30am (November 2019-March 2020)
Ages/Cost: Unstructured playtime with balls, mats, music, toys & games and Jump Castle is included for ages 5 and under. $5/child. Under age 1/free.
Program: Open Play | Plymouth Field House – Cancelled for 2020/2021 Season. Staff will continue to monitor MDH recommendations for possible 2021 re-opening.
When: Mon, Wed, Fri – winter months, starting early November, 2020, 10:30am-1:30pm
Ages/Cost: Best for ages 3-5; $4-$5/child, caregivers free
Details: During the chilly months, heat in the field house is turned on to 55 degrees for fun with inflatables, slides, nets and lots of space to run the kids ragged. Call 763-509-5280 for more details.
Program: Kids Playtime | Shakopee Community Center | Not offered for 2020/2021 Season
When: Mon & Wed | October through April, 10-11:15am
Ages: 1-5 with caregiver
Details: Kids and their parents are invited to run around the gymnasium. Bring your clean trikes, riding toys, balls or use theirs.
ST LOUIS PARK
Program: Little Tot Playtime | St Louis Park Rec Center | Cancelled in 2020/2021 Season.
When: Tues-Fri | Early November 2019 – early May 2020 | 9:30-11:30am
Ages: 1-5 with caregiver
Cost: $2 per child
Details: Bounce in the inflatables, ride the big wheelers, play dress up or build with blocks on the creative carpet.
Program: Toddler Open Dome | TCO Fieldhouse | Reopened for Sports, but no tot times as of Spring 2021.
When: Stay tuned.
Ages: Toddlers with caregiver
Details: Tot times are limited to 50 people per playing field. Spots are first come, first served.
CLOSED TWIN CITIES INDOOR PLAYGROUNDS & PLAY CENTERS
INDOOR PLAYGROUNDS – click the above graphic for all the details!
- Atrium at Playworks | Prior Lake | Spring 2021: Currently Suspended
- Brookview Backyard | Golden Valley | Spring 2021: Closed Indefinitely
- Chaska Community Center Playroom | Chaska | Spring 2021: Unavailable Until Further Notice
- Monkey House | White Bear Lake | Spring 2021: Closed Indefinitely
- Prairie Play Zone | Eden Prairie | Spring 2021: Currently Closed
- The Lookout Indoor Playground | Shakopee | Spring 2021: Closed Until Further Notice
INDOOR PLAY SPACES
Snapology Discovery Center | Minneapolis | Spring 2021: Discover Center Closed
When: Drop-in Playtime during the school-yr weekdays, 10am-3pm & summer, 9am-5pm. Fri, 10am-8:30pm & Sat-Sun, 9am-5pm
Ages/Cost: All ages pay $8/pp for unlimited play that day or drop off your child at $6/hr ages 5+
Details: Offers great indoor toddler activities, guaranteed to entertain with opportunities to build with LEGO bricks, K’nex and other materials.