Tot Times and Open Gym were my savior when my firstborn was a squirrelly toddler who needed a space to run off his pent-up wintertime energy. A few years later, I had four littles under the age of 7 who were climbing the walls and testing the limits of my sanity. Perhaps you find yourself in the same boat? Browse through our listings of indoor toddler activities to find an open gym, open playtime or open swim near you and treat yourself to a (near) guaranteed nap time.
Disclaimer: While we do our best to keep up with changes, Tot Times, Open Play and Open Gym times are subject to change without notice. We recommend calling or clicking on the accompanying links to double check our information before heading out. Updated and verified 3/16/2021. See page 2 for closed or not-yet-announced indoor play.
PRESCHOOL TOT TIMES, OPEN PLAY & GYM AT COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTERS
Featured Partner: Music Together in the Valley
Music Together: Exciting, award-winning music and movement classes for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, K-2nd graders—and the grownups who love them! Completely online for the Winter 2021 Session.
It’s safe, convenient, engaging, effective, stress relieving, connection building and totally fun. Even though your teacher is on the screen, each class is designed to be an active music-making experience for the whole family. Tuition includes one live 30-minute class each week plus weekly Tuesday evening ‘Musical Play Dates’ and Thursday evening ‘Songs, Stories and Lullabies’ and every other week Saturday night dance parties. FUN!
Free demonstration classes anytime at MusicTogetherClasses.org under ‘Demos.’
If you are looking for ways to get the whole family moving, check out our
Family Sports & Fitness Calendar.
MINNEAPOLIS & ST PAUL TODDLER ACTIVITIES
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
When: Times & parks vary
Ages/Cost: 5 & under with caregiver | FREE | Limited options in Spring 2021.
Details: Finding tot times in the Minneapolis parks can be tricky. Click the above link and type “parent tot” into the activity search box to get a list of parks that offer drop-in Indoor toddler activities and play with scooters, balls, tumbling mats and more. You’ll need to sign up for an active pass, but it is free and you can do that the first time you go in.
When: Times & parks vary and require pre-registration for specific time slot
Ages/Cost: 6 & under with caregiver | FREE | Attendance is capped at 14 people.
Details: St. Paul Tot time and open gym hours opened 2/22/21. Advanced reservations are available. Public health guidelines, including face coverings and physical distancing, will be in place.
TWIN CITIES NORTH METRO
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
Program: Parent/Tot Time | Maple Grove Community Center | 2021: Accepting Reservations for court time
When: Reservations for blocks of time will be based on the scheduled activities in the gym. One person can reserve for a group up to six (6) people/players or one family per time slot.
Ages/Cost: $5/Residents; $6/Non-Residents.
Program: Tot Time Open Gym | Hayes Elementary Gym, Fridley |
When: Saturdays, March 6- April 3, 2021. 10am-11am. (Times are listed in the Parks & Rec Brochures)
Ages/Cost: Drop in fee: $2 per child / $4 per family
Details: Enjoy free play with balls, hoops, scooters, jump ropes, music and more. Capacity is limited. (Thank you to our reader, Ally, for this information).
TWIN CITIES SOUTH METRO
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
Program: Family Open Gym | Apple Valley Community Center
When: Currently on hold.
Ages/Cost: Ages 17 and under w/ caregiver, FREE
Details: Open to families of all ages with adults actively participating. One household family per basket. Read about social distancing and safety precautions here.
Program: Millz House Open Play
When: Weekdays 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm (Reservations Required, call 952-446-5858)
Ages/Cost: $6/child; parents and babies under 18 months free.
Details: Work out the wiggles with indoor playsets, trampolines and basketball courts. Find social distancing and health/safety guidelines here.
Program: Open Gym | Eagan Community Center
When: Online Signup available for basketball or pickleball courts.
Ages/Cost: All ages. Children must be accompanied by a paid adult; $4/resident; $6/non-resident.
Details: The Blast is also available for play by reservation.
Program: Preschool Open Gymnastics | Gleason’s Gymnastic School
When: Wed 9:30-11:30am & Fri 9:30-noon; Registration Required.
Ages/Cost: ages 0-K, $8/child or $10/family
Details: Have the run of the equipment! Kids can jump on the trampolines, launch themselves into the foam pit, walk the balance beam, follow obstacle courses, swing from the trapeze and more.
Program: Open Walk/Jog | Savage Sports Center (See page 2, tot times are not happening this year).
When: November 9 – April; Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 6:30 – 9:30 a.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, noon – 3 p.m
Details: We know this isn’t the same as Tot Time, but strollers are welcome. When you need an indoor space to get active, know that this is an option.
TWIN CITIES WEST METRO OPEN GYM,
TOT TIMES & INDOOR TODDLER ACTIVITIES
We are not aware of any west metro open gym, tot times or indoor toddler activities for the winter/spring of 2021. If you know of anything, please leave a comment and we will share with the community.
TWIN CITIES EAST METRO
OPEN GYM & TOT TIMES
We are not aware of any east metro open gym, tot times or indoor toddler activities for the winter/spring of 2021. If you know of anything, please leave a comment and we will share with the community.
OPEN TWIN CITIES INDOOR PLAYGROUNDS & PLAY CENTERS
This is a short synopsis of indoor playgrounds. Click the above graphic for a more detailed article.
- Adventure Peak | Edinborough Park, Edina | Open by online advance registration. $8/child.
- Blast Indoor Playground | Eagan | Open by reservation. Morning and afternoon sessions, M, T, Th, F and Saturday mornings.
- Eagles Nest Indoor Playground | New Brighton | Spring 2021 – Opening Soon for Individual Play Reservations (Open Gym not available) | $6.50/child.
- Giggle Factory | Hudson WI | Pre-purchases passes online. Weekdays 9am-2pm; weekends 9am-1pm. $8/child with multiple-child discounts.
- Good Times Park | Eagan | Reservations Required. $9/child. 7am-9:30pm daily.
- InnerActive | Minnetonka & Mounds View. Purchases passes online. 7am-7:30pm daily. $11.25/child.
- Lookout Ridge Indoor Playground | Woodbury | Advance reservations required. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday – morning and afternoon time slots. $5.50/pp.
- Maple Maze | Maple Grove | Reservations Required. $6.50/child.
- Millz House | Apple Valley | Reservations Required. Weekday morning or afternoon sessions available. $6/child.
- Pump It Up | Eden Prairie | Pre-Registration Recommended. No tot times, but tots 34″ and taller can jump during open jumps. $7-$8/child.
- Rainbow Play Systems | Bloomington | Reservations Required. Weekdays 10am-5pm. $8-$10/2-hour session.
- Rockin’ Jump – Jr. Jumpers | Eagan | Reservations Required. Fri: 9am-Noon or Sun: 9am-11am. $12/parent-child pair.
- SkyZone Indoor Trampoline Park | Edina, Blaine, Maple Grove & Oakdale | Purchase Tickets Online – Weekdays at 10am. $10/child.
- Tropical Adventure Indoor Playground | Shoreview | Open with Limited Capacity. Reservations required.
- Williston Treehouse | Minnetonka | Reservations required until June 1, 2021. At that point both reservations and capacity limits will cease. Masks will no longer be required beginning July 1, 2021.
INDOOR PLAY SPACES
MiniSota Play Cafe | Maple Grove
When: 2021 Hours are inconsistent, but they are updating Google regularly. Open by Reservation/Limited Walk-Ins.
Ages/Cost: Ages 1-9/$12, ages 6-12 mon/$5, adults $3 (or free with beverage purchase)
Details: MiniSota is currently the only location in the Twin Cities that combines an open play center with a café. Between themed days, storytimes and music classes there’s always special Indoor toddler activities going on (so check the calendar).
Minnesota Playseum | Ridgedale Mall, Minnetonka
When: Drop-In Play. Mon-Thurs 11am-6pm; Fri & Sat 11am-8pm; Sun 1pm-6pm
Ages/Cost: Ages 1-99. 12/pp.
Details: A bit like the Children’s Museum, but in the mall. Explore a bakery, art studio, science bar, play shops and restaurants, as well as places to read together. Staff on hand to help with projects at various stations.
OPEN SWIM AT TWIN CITIES
WATER PARKS & POOLS
Swimming can be a wonderful way to squeeze in a workout during the frigid winter months in Minnesota. Use this list of Twin Cities Indoor Waterparks and Pools to find tot times, open swims and special ways to save on splashing your way through the winter. Or, here’s a quick list:
- Chaska Community Center Pool | Tot Times Monday-Saturday 9am-10:30am – Reservations Required. Included with daily admission ($7.38-$10.25/pp)
- Eden Prairie Aquatics Center | See Weekly Schedules for Tot Times. Included with daily admission. ($5.50 – tots up to 4 years; $7.50 adults; $20 family)
- Great Wolf Lodge | Bloomington | Cub Paw Pool is designed for toddlers. Half-Day and Full-Day Passes available (prices vary and subject to availability).
- Grove Cove Aquatic Center | Maple Grove| No specific tot times, but book leisure pool times here.
- The Grove Aquatic Center | Inver Grove Heights | No specific tot times, but book open swim reservations. $7.50/pp.
- Tropics Indoor Water Park | Shoreview | No specific tot times, but book waterpark reservations here. $8.75-$10.25/pp
- Williston Fitness Center | Minnetonka | No specific tot times, but open swim times available at limited capacity until June 1st. Beginning June 1, 2021 capacity limits and reservations will no longer be required. Masks will no longer be required July 1, 2021. $6/children; $10/adult.
Seasonal Outdoor Pools:
- Crystal Cove Aquatic Center | Little Splasher Pool Times – Select Saturdays 10:30am-12:30pm. ($3/child). 2021: Saturdays, June 26, July 17, July 24, July 31, Aug. 7, Aug.14, Aug.21.
- Minneapolis Wading Pools | Open to everyone, but best enjoyed by smaller kids. FREE. Open Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day (unless adjacent to a school, then they open the Saturday after the last day of school.)
More Ideas for Indoor Destinations During the Spring of 2021
- Como Park Zoo Conservatory, St. Paul. Reservations Required.
- Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley. Reservations Required.
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis. Reservations Required.
- Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis. Reservations Required.
- Minnesota Children’s Museum, Saint Paul. Reservations Required.
- Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul. Reservations Required.
- Kid-Friendly Coffee Shops/Cafes – But call ahead to make sure the play space is open.
- Play and Learn Library Spaces – Some libraries are open for limited use. Call ahead about children’s areas.
- Mall of America, particularly on Tuesdays, including:
Where are you taking your stir-crazy toddler or preschooler this fall? Leave us a comment and we’ll share your ideas with the community!
Find hundreds more things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul with kids!
*Links to Amazon are affiliate links and Family Fun Twin Cities receives a small commission on any sales.