Things to do in Minneapolis-St Paul this weekend!
FEBRUARY 23-24, 2019
All January we longed for the snowfall, didn’t we? And February has more than granted our wish, dumping deep drifts onto the Twin Cities that beg to be purposed into sledding hills, snow forts and the scenic backdrop for wintry activities. We’ve got lots of suggestions for getting out to play with the family this weekend; for more inspiration, check our February Family Guide or our Family Fun Calendar.
Sat, Feb 23: Phalen Freeze Fest | St Paul
Try your hand at ice fishing, then warm up and cook over an open fire, play boot hockey, kicksled and snowshoe. There’ll be some indoor activities as well if you need to warm up. 1-4pm, FREE admission.
SLEDDING & SNOW TUBING – final days
The hills are sporting a sleek new coat after the recent snowfall and the windchill is no longer biting little cheeks – get some sledding in while you still can. Here are just a few ideas of the where you might find the right-sized slope for your crew; for more, visit our Twin Cities Sledding Hills Guide.
- Trapp Farm Park Tubing Hill, Eagan | Note that Sat, Feb 23 is the FINAL day of tubing at Trapp Farm Park. The popular tubing hill will be open from 12-8pm. Rental is $4; bringing your own sled is not permitted. Note there are no tow ropes here.
- Wirth Park, Minneapolis | 2 options for the adventurous here: a free sledding hill open 7am-9pm (bring your own craft) or snow tubing ($15 rental for 2 hours). Note that Sun, Feb 24 is the FINAL day of tubing at Wirth Park.
- Staring Lake Park, Eden Prairie | Visitors will find a 700-foot (!) sledding hill on the north side of the warming house during winter months. The warming facility is supervised and the hill is lit during open hours. No charge; bring your own craft.
If you’ve ever thought it might be nice to take a winter hike on some freshly packed powder, the following local parks rent snowshoes and groom trails. Keep in mind that snowshoes require sturdy boots to fit properly.
- French Regional Park | Feb 23, 10-11:30am (family session w/ cocoa) & 1-4pm (beginner snowshoeing) | $5/pp
- North Mississippi Regional Park | Feb 23 & 24, 1-3pm | FREE
- Maplewood Nature Center | Daily | $5/pair rental ages 4 & up
- Harriet Alexander Nature Center | Weekend rental in child sizes only, $15/pair
- Fort Snelling State Park | Daily, 8am-2pm | $7 vehicle permit plus $6 rental fee,
- Additional parks: Baker Park Reserve, Cleary Lake Regional Park, Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park, Elm Creek Regional Park, Gale Woods Farm, Carver Park Reserve & Hyland Lake Park all have rentals and maintained winter trails. Snowshoes rent for $5/pair plus tax.
Sunday, February 24th is Try Hockey for Free Day in the Twin Cities. On the fence about making the investment to put your kid in hockey? We understand. We’ve been there ourselves. And we highly recommend you give the sport a try for free first. The event gives kids (ages 4-9) a shot at experiencing the basics of hockey without financial commitment. It’s strictly for fun! Plus, coaches will be on hand to offer tips and provide equipment. Hit the link to find participating locations.
CAN YOU HANDLE MORE SNOW?
Sun, Feb 24: Winter Survival | Wood Lake Nature Center, Richfield | 1-3pm | $3/pp