TWIN CITIES GUIDE TO FAMILY ACTIVITIES THIS WEEKEND: MAY 27-29, 2023
Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of May 27-29, 2023 – Memorial Day Weekend!. To find our most recent guide, click here.
For more ideas on spending family time together this weekend, hop over to our MAY FAMILY EVENTS GUIDE, our ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SPRING IN THE TWIN CITIES or our TWIN CITIES FAMILY FUN CALENDAR. We try our best to keep it stocked with options to fit your family’s needs when you’re ready to get out and about in the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area!
THINGS TO DO IN THE TWIN CITIES OVER MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
Memorial Day Weekend is May 27-29, 2023. Sticking around town for the holiday? We’ve got some weekend suggestions that are sure to be memorable.
FUN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN TWIN CITIES PARKS THIS WEEKEND
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the incredible Twin Cities park systems. You can get more ideas on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend in parks across the Minneapolis-St Paul metro.
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND NATURE PROGRAMS
Story Trail at Thompson County Park
360 Butler Ave E, West St Paul, MN 55118
Walk at your own pace around Thompson Lake while reading picture book pages displayed along the trail. Do NOT miss the brand-new inclusive playground! May 26-29, 2023.
Visit a new Twin Cities Nature Center
Nature and outdoor interpretive centers are wonderful places that offer free admission and hands-on exhibits and outdoor play opportunities most days of the week. Find our complete listing of TWIN CITIES NATURE CENTERS.
FEATURED TWIN CITIES PARK EVENTS THIS WEEKEND
FREE FAMILY FUN DAY WITH THREE RIVERS PARKS
Join naturalists for free, drop-in and kid-friendly programming at EAST MAN NATURE CENTER (Maple Grove), MISSISSIPPI GATEWAY REGIONAL PARK (Brooklyn Park) and RICHARDSON NATURE CENTER (Bloomington). Explore the indoor exhibits while you’re at it. No reservations needed. May 28, 2023. 1-3pm. FREE.
Annual Kite Fly
Louisiana Oaks Park, 3520 Louisiana Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Admire as the kites take flight or bring your kite to fly with members of the Minnesota Kite Society. Free kites for kids’ while supplies last. May 27, 2023, 12-4pm. FREE.
Minneapolis Music in the Parks
Another great summer season of outdoor tunes at the LAKE HARRIET BANDSHELL starts Memorial Day! Pick a food truck for dinner or pack a picnic. Kids will enjoy the playground only steps from the bandshell. See the link for the entire summer lineup of movies & music in the parks. May 29, 2023, 5:30pm. FREE.
MORE IDEAS FOR THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN THE TWIN CITIES WITH KIDS
Outdoor Swimming – Beaches, Pools & Water Fun Opening Memorial Day Weekend 2023
Spend the holiday weekend at the beach! Several are open for the business of swimming, splashing and FUN starting Memorial Day Weekend:
- CRYSTAL BEACH – 1101 Crystal Lake Road East, Burnsville, MN 55337
- NICOLLET COMMONS PARK WATER FEATURE – 12550 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville, MN 55337.
DAKOTA COUNTY BEACHES
- SCHULZE LAKE BEACH, EAGAN – 860 Cliff Road, Eagan, MN 55123
- LAKE BYLLESBY BEACH, CANNON FALLS – 8150 295th St. E., Cannon Falls, MN 55009
MINNEAPOLIS BEACHES & POOLS
- JIM LUPIENT WATER PARK – Water slides, zero-depth entry, spray zones and activities. $3-$5/pp. 1520 Johnson St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
- MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC BEACHES – 12 locations within 6 parks for FREE swimming!
- MINNEAPOLIS WADING POOLS – with the exception of pools adjacent to public school sites. See our fantastic list of free Minneapolis wading pools, the perfect spot to take tots for a swim this summer! Open daily, 10am-9pm.
- NORTH COMMONS WATER PARK – $3-$5/pp. 1701 Golden Valley Rd, Minneapolis, MN 55411
- WEBBER NATURAL SWIMMING POOL – a free public swimming pool filtered naturally rather than with chemicals. 4300 Webber Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55412.
RAMSEY COUNTY BEACHES
- LAKE JOSEPHINE BEACH, ROSEVILLE – 3027 Lexington Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113
- LAKE MCCARRONS BEACH, ROSEVILLE – 1795 Rice St, Roseville, MN 55113
- LONG LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, NEW BRIGHTON – 1500 Old Highway 8
New Brighton, MN 55112
- LAKE JOHANNA BEACH, ARDEN HILLS – 3500 Lake Johanna Blvd.
Arden Hills, MN 55112
- WHITE BEAR LAKE BEACH – 5050 Lake Ave, White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Beaches open sunrise to sunset (park hours). Lifeguards on duty 12-8pm starting early June. Find more information on the Ramsey County beaches information page.
Three Rivers Park District Beaches & swimming
- BAKER PARK RESERVE BEACH, MAPLE PLAIN – 2309 Baker Park Rd, Maple Plain, MN 55359
- BRYANT LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, EDEN PRAIRIE – 6800 Rowland Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- CARVER PARK RESERVE BEACH, VICTORIA – 55386, 7400 Grimm Rd, Waconia, MN 55387
- CEDAR LAKE FARM REGIONAL PARK BEACH, NEW PRAGUE – 25875 Juniper Ave, New Prague, MN 56071
- CLEARY LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, PRIOR LAKE – 18106 Texas Ave, Prior Lake, MN 55372
- ELM CREEK SWIM POND – Chlorinated with a sand beach. Close to an elaborate playground & nature center. $5/pp. 12400 James Deane Pkwy, Maple Grove, MN 55369
- FISH LAKE REGIONAL PARK, MAPLE GROVE – 14900 Bass Lake Rd, Maple Grove, MN 55311
- FRENCH LAKE REGIONAL PARK, PLYMOUTH – 12605 Rockford Rd, Plymouth, MN 55441
- LAKE MINNETONKA SWIM POND, MINNETRISTA – Chlorinated with a sand beach. $5/pp. 4610 County Rd 44, Minnetrista, MN 55364
- LAKE REBECCA PARK RESERVE, ROCKFORD – 9831 Rebecca Park Trail, Rockford, MN 55373
WASHINGTON COUNTY BEACHES
- BIG MARINE LAKE BEACH, MARINE ON ST CROIX – 17495 Manning Trail N, Marine on St Croix, MN 55047
- POINT DOUGLAS BEACH, HASTINGS – 14810 Point Douglas Dr S, Hastings, MN 55033
- SQUARE LAKE BEACH, STILLWATER – 15450 Square Lake Trail N, Stillwater, MN 55082
- ST CROIX BLUFFS BEACH, HASTINGS – 10191 St Croix Trail S, Hastings, MN 55033
Washington County Beaches are open 9am-8pm. A $7 vehicle permit is required w/ the exception of Point Douglas Beach. Each first Tuesday of the month is FREE entry day!
Memorial Day weekend living history programs
Gideon Pond House Living History Open House
401 E 104th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
Drop by for free living history activities, a new theme each weekend – Memorial Day weekend, make your own pioneer doll. May 27, 1-4pm. FREE; donations appreciated.
Gibbs Farm Opening Day
2097 Larpenteur Ave W, St Paul, MN 55113
Tours of the Gibbs Farmhouse, one-room schoolhouse, Dakota Bark Lodge and Tipi will be offered. Plus, taste homemade ice cream, see farm animals and listen to live music. May 27, 2023, 10am-4pm. $5-$10/pp.
Decoration Day at Historic Fort Snelling
Historic Fort Snelling, 200 Tower Ave, St Paul, MN 55111
Interact with costumed actors dressed in 1890s military clothing. Watch speeches that reflected on past conflicts, especially the American Civil War, commonly heard during the late 1800s. May 27-29, 2023; 10am-4pm. $8-$12/pp. Learn more about Historic Fort Snelling.
Sibley Historic Site Tours
1357 Sibley Memorial Hwy, Mendota Heights, MN 55120
The historic site re-opens Saturday, May 27. Discover the historic trading post nestled in one of Minnesota’s first settlements. One-hour tours kick off from 1-4pm. $6-$10/pp.
MORE ATTRACTIONS OPEN MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
Centennial Lakes Park Attractions
7499 France Ave S, Edina, MN 55435
Attractions open Memorial Day Weekend include the park’s lawn bowling, paddle boats, ($20/45 min) and the putting course (they call it “golf in miniature”. $10/18 holes). Plus, you might get lucky and spot a member of the Edina Model Yacht club!
WHEEL FUN RENTALS
Explore your city parks by surrey, chopper, canoe, paddleboard and more. Rentals are open at the following locations Memorial Day Weekend (please visit the website for hours):
- Bde Maka Ska
- Lake Como
- Lake Harriet
- Lake Nokomkis
- Minnehaha Falls
- Veterans Memorial Park – Richfield
TWIN CITIES MEMORIAL DAY PROGRAMS
Memorial Day with Lakewood Cemetery
3600 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55408
Enjoy live music and create custom postcards. There will be guided tours of the cemetery offered. May 29, 2023, 10:30am-4pm, FREE.
More ideas for memorial day weekend
- Stroll through a cemetery.
- Give thanks for those who have gone before.
- Pick up some take out and have a special picnic.
- Take a boat ride or a drive along the shore of a lake.
- Go Fishing – see our list of the best fishing holes for families at the link.
- Visit a Twin Cities Park with a Dedicated Memorial
ALWAYS FREE OR LOW COST THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN THE TWIN CITIES
Lakeshore Learning Dinosaur Discovery
1721 Beam Ave A, Maplewood, MN 55109
5699 W 16th St, St Louis Park, MN 55416
Explore color, texture and other sensory activities at this open-house style event. May 20, 2023.
MUSEUMS WITH FREE ADMISSION
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden – adjacent to the Walker Art Center
- (free each first Saturday/month)
- Weisman Art Museum – located on the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota
Some links in this post are affiliate links that pay us a small commission from the sale at no extra cost to you. You can learn more here.
Children’s Theatre Company, Minneapolis
Again, quality kid shows!
Family Exercise Fun: Twin Cities Indoor Waterparks and Pools
Swimming at these Twin Cities indoor waterparks and pools can be a wonderful way to
Minneapolis Institute of Art (“Mia”), Minneapolis
Our families greatly enjoy the Minneapolis Institute of Art (MIA): attending the Children’s Theatre Company,
Minnesota Children’s Museum, Saint Paul
The Minnesota Children’s Museum (“MCM”) in Saint Paul is a large museum geared towards kids.
Mill City Museum (f/k/a “World’s Largest Flour Mill”), Minneapolis
Throughout Mill City Museum, there are interactive exhibits, puzzles, trains and a lock and dam
Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
Polar bears, tigers and other big cats, primate of all kind and a variety of
Minnesota Zoo, Apple Valley
One of the biggest attractions in the Twin Cities — for both Minnesotans and visitors
Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul
Families can learn about dinosaurs, the human body, space and more at the Science Museum
Twin City Model Railroad Museum
The Twin City Model Railroad Museum (“TCMRM”) started in 1934, with a small group of
Historic Fort Snelling, St. Paul
Historic Fort Snelling, located near the airport, sits on a juncture of the Mississippi and
Edinborough Park & Adventure Peak Indoor Playground, Edina
Perfect for kids and families, Edinborough Park is a full acre indoor playpark and landscaped
Mall of America, Bloomington
The Mall of America is Minnesota’s national claim to fame. As the number one tourist
Nickelodeon Universe, Mall of America
Nickelodeon Universe is the 7-acre indoor amusement park located at the Mall of America. It
Target Field, Minneapolis
Target Field is the Twin’s Stadium in downtown Minneapolis. It begins the west end of
Walker Art Center, Minneapolis
Internationally famous, Walker Art Center is the Twin Cities’ art museum visitors from out of
Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis
Housed in a striking stainless steel and brick building designed by architect Frank Gehry, the
Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden & Bird Sanctuary
A beautiful garden full of flowers, plants and hundreds of bird species, the Eloise Butler
Midtown Global Market – International Public Market
Midtown Global Market is an internationally-themed public market with groceries, great food and unique gifts. This
Minnehaha Park and Minnehaha Falls, Minneapolis
Minnehaha Regional Park is one of the most iconic visitor destinations in Minnesota. Besides the
North Commons Park & Water Park, Minneapolis
North Commons Park and Recreation Center is a 25-acre park in North Minneapolis. Its large
10 Free Things To Do With Kids In Downtown Minneapolis in Summer
Grab the stroller, hop the bus, bring a picnic or cash for lunch, and you
Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden was created over 30 years ago and was among the pioneers
Lake Harriet Park, Minneapolis
This family-friendly park on the shores of Lake Harriet in Minneapolis includes swimming, picnicking, playgrounds,
Opening in May – Twin Cities Area Attractions
It’s official – Family Fun Twin Cities has come down with our annual bout of
Bde Maka Ska Park (f/k/a Lake Calhoun) and Beaches, Minneapolis
The natural beauty of Bde Maka Ska Park in Minneapolis includes walking trails, picnic areas,
Kid-Friendly Theater, Music and Performing Arts in the Twin Cities
Plan ahead to take kids to the theatre! We love finding kid-friendly theater, music and
Rock The Twin Cities: FFTC’s Guide to Family Friendly Entertainment
The Twin Cities is lucky to have some really great Minnesota kids bands who call
Sea Life Minnesota Aquarium, Mall of America
Visit jellyfish, sea turtles, sharks and sea life of all kinds at Sea Life Aquarium
Indoor Play – Indoor Activities for Kids
We all know the realities of raising kids in the Minnesota: there’s got to be
Chain of Lakes Regional Park, Minneapolis
The Chain of Lakes Regional Park consists of the shorelines of Brownie Lake, Cedar Lake,
Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park, Minneapolis
Located on both banks of the Mississippi River between Plymouth Avenue North & the 35W bridges, Central
Foshay Tower & Observation Deck, Minneapolis
Climb to the 31st floor of one of Minneapolis’s most famous buildings for spectacular views
Mill Ruins Park & Water Works, Minneapolis
Part of the larger, Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park, Mill Ruins Park may not be
Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis
The Historic Stone Arch Bridge was once used as a railroad bridge from 1883 to
Minnesota Twins Games on the Cheap
In 2023, The Twins home opener is April 6th. We developed this plan for impromptu
The Best Minneapolis Bike Trails for Families
Table of Contents Fill up your tires, strap on a helmet and get ready to
8 Twin Cities Waterfalls to Visit With Kids
Visitors to the Twin Cities love to view the famous, thundering Minnehaha Falls, but there
Kid-Friendly Hikes: 10 Twin Cities Hiking Trails That Are One Mile or Less
Minnesota does not lack places to hike. The bigger problem we have hitting the trails
The Best St Paul Bike Trails for Families
Fill up your bike tires, strap on a helmet and get ready to hit the
University of Minnesota
While the University of Minnesota is obviously geared toward young adult college students, it does