Things to do in Minneapolis-St Paul this weekend!
JANUARY 25-26, 2020
Not the weekend you’re searching for? Jump over to our Weekend Events Guide page.
CARNIVAL ALL WEEKEND
We’ve got the scoop on the coolest carnival in town. The fun officially begins Thursday, Jan 23 with a parade all are welcome to join in downtown and continues through the weekend with tons of outdoor activities.
- Thurs, Jan 23: Ice Sculpture carving begins | Watch the ice carvers work their magic for the annual competition; visit the sculptures throughout the run of the Winter Carnival in Kellogg Mall Park.
- Sat, Jan 25: King Boreas Grand Day Parade | Processes east down West 7th to Rice Park, 2pm.
- Sat, Jan 25: Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition | Come watch works of art whittled out of the snow (yes, we promise there will be snow) and vote for your favorites. Located on the State Fairgrounds.
- Sat, Jan 25 & Sun, Jan 26: Vulcan Snow Park activities open | Our kids love plummeting down the thrilling snow slide ($2 per run) and navigating the mini snow maze. Snow Park is located in the Kidway area of the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
- Sun, Jan 26: Vulcan Fun Day | The Snow Park heats up with Vulcan fire truck rides and a mini medallion hunt for kids in addition to the other daily snowy activities.
MORE CARNIVALS AROUND TOWN
Saturday, January 25
Lake Harriet Winter Kite Festival | Lake Harriet Park, Minneapolis
Kites fly over the frozen lake. Families can ice fish, snowshoe and take a wagon ride. 12-4pm, FREE.
Art Sled Rally | Powderhorn Park, Minneapolis
Bring a sled of your own creation and race it or have fun as a spectator! 2pm, FREE.
Winter Fun Day | Oak Hill Park, St Louis Park
Bonfires, sledding, snowshoeing, music, hayrides, and cocoa & smores. 12-4pm, FREE.
WinterFest | Lake Elmo Park Reserve
Great for families with older kids! XC ski lessons w/ equipment provided, biking demos and food trucks. 9am-3pm. FREE admission with vehicle permit ($7), ski pass required for lessons ages 16+ ($6/day).
Snow Day | Wargo Nature Center, Lino Lakes
Try out a variety of winter outdoor activities. 1-4pm, FREE.
For more frosty festival fun jump over to our Twin Cities Winter Festival Family Calendar.
MORE FAMILY WEEKEND IDEAS
Many families feel more comfortable with a little extra armor during the Minnesota winters. We’ve beefed up our annual Winter Break Survival Guide to help you make the most of the season whether you want to get out and play or stay in and be cozy.
- Wells Fargo WinterSkate | St Paul (skate rental $5 or one free pair w/ card)
- Minneapolis WinterSkate (free skating and rental)
- Skate the Star | Mall of America (free skating & rental but deposit required)
Always free to visit weekends
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden – adjacent to the Walker Art Center (free each first Saturday/month)
- Weisman Art Museum – located on the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota
- Como Park Zoo & Conservatory – note that fall & winter hours are 10am-4pm.
Find hundreds more things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul with kids!
During this cold weather, find tons of fun indoor games for kids you can play right at home.