More to do in July: Make sure to check our TWIN CITIES JULY FAMILY GUIDE, our ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SUMMER IN THE TWIN CITIES and our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for a complete listing of events around town.
Things to do this weekend in Minneapolis-St Paul
Want to find free things to do in the Minneapolis-St Paul area this weekend with your kids? Find our current TWIN CITIES WEEKEND FAMILY GUIDE, packed with suggestions.
Free summer meals in the Twin Cities
In case your family is needing a nutrition boost this season while you’re out and about, FREE SUMMER MEALS FOR KIDS are offered at more public venues than you would imagine – parks, libraries, elementary schools, churches and many more. There is no income level requirement to participate.
Twin Cities JULY outdoor Fun in the parks: Free summer Music, Movies and more entertainment
There is loads of fun to be had out in our local communities this summer. Literally, something to do every day of the week (consult our TWIN CITIES GUIDE TO ACTIVITIES THIS WEEK for hints) and much of our carefully curated community events are FREE: local parks are buzzing with festivals, theater in the park, farmers markets and the puppet wagon. Live music is performed most nights of the week. The beaches and pools are awaiting swimmers. Bike trails beckon. And don’t forget – libraries don’t take a summer break. There is FREE programming going on all summer long.
Free Twin Cities Nature Centers
Nature and outdoor interpretive centers are wonderful places that offer free admission and hands-on exhibits and outdoor play opportunities most days of the week. Find our complete listing of TWIN CITIES NATURE CENTERS.
Minneapolis & St Paul
Minneapolis Music & Movies in the Parks
Live music and movies screened across multiple Minneapolis parks most nights during the summer. And yes, all free! See the 2022 Calendar for bands, movie titles and park locations. Starts Memorial Day Weekend and continues through summer.
Go Outside with Hennepin County
Hennepin County Government Center South Plaza & Target Field Station
Reasons to get outdoors in downtown Minneapolis that are kid-friendly: lawn games at South Plaza (Tues-Thurs, 11:30am-1:30pm). Also, free movies at Target Field Station – July 7 (Paw Patrol) and July 21 (Aquaman). 7pm.
Garden Storytime at Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden
1 Theodore Wirth Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55405
A naturalist hosts a different nature themed story each week within the Garden followed by an activity. Meet just outside the Visitor Shelter. Bring a blanket to sit on. Ongoing Thursdays in July, 2022, 10am, FREE.
Twin Cities River Rats Waterski Shows
West River Road, Minneapolis
Amazing free waterski tricks to amuse you Thursday evenings on the Mississippi River. Ongoing Thursdays in July 2022, 6:30pm.
Family Funday at North Mississippi Regional Park
North Mississippi Regional Park, 4900 Mississippi Ct, Minneapolis, MN, US 55430
Drop in for free, self-guided nature activities. The park also features a splash wading pool, playground and a nature center to make a day of it.
July 7, 2022. 1-3pm.
Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
1225 Estabrook Dr, St Paul, MN 55103
Seasonal events in July include the Summer Flower Show in the Conservatory’s sunken garden. Currently, the Zoo & Conservatory are open by reservation only. Make yours today, they fill fast. Suggested donation of $2/child & $3/adult, but all welcome whether or not you choose to donate. 10am-4pm.
Lil Explorer Thursdays are back! The hall between the Visitor Center & the Conservatory is filled with hands-on activities, manipulatives, art projects and games perfect for the 4 & under set. Explore a different theme each week. Ongoing Thursdays in July 2022.
Free carousel rides in July: CAFESJIAN’S CAROUSEL in Como Park offers free spins on July 26, 2022.
Groovin’ in the Garden
Como’s outdoor music event offers free concerts and lawn activities while the music is on. Food is available for purchase or bring your own picnic. Ongoing Wednesdays in July 2022, 6-8pm.
Saturday Vibe at Central Library
George Latimer Central Library, 90 W 4th St, St Paul, MN 55102
Fresh, free entertainment including live music, puppetry, magicians, storytelling and more. Saturdays, July 2-23, 2022, 11:30am.
Twin Cities Northwest Metro Free Summer Events
Covering the Twin Cities, Minnesota, communities of Andover, Blaine, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Maple Grove, New Brighton, Otsego, Plymouth & St Anthony. Some highlights and family fun ideas from our NORTHWEST METRO SUMMER EVENTS GUIDE:
July Free Family Fun Days with Three Rivers Parks
Mississippi Gateway Regional Park, 10360 W River Rd, Brooklyn Park, MN 55444
Drop in for free nature programs at MISSISSIPPI GATEWAY REGIONAL PARK. New themes each week. Sundays, July 3-31, 2022, 1-3pm.
Events at Historic Eidem Farm
4345 101st Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
Travel back and experience the historic farm through self-guided walking tours, old-time demos and free special events during the summer including:
- CONCERT AT THE FARM: The Teddy Bear Band, July 15, 2022, 6pm.
- STORIES FROM THE PORCH: Tuesdays, July 5-26, 2022, 11am & 6pm.
MAPLE GROVE TOWN GREEN PARK
- SOUNDS OF SUMMER 2022 concerts include free kids shows on Thursdays. Town Green, 7991 Main Street, Maple Grove, MN.
July Activities at Eastman Nature Center
Eastman Nature Center, 13351 Elm Creek Rd, Maple Grove, MN 55369
- Free Family Fun Days with Three Rivers Parks – Drop in for free nature programs at EASTMAN NATURE CENTER. New themes each week. Sundays, July 3-31, 2022, 1-3pm.
- Dragonfly Festival – Meet a few dragonflies and and explore one of their habitats. July 16, 2022. Drop in anytime from 10am-1pm.
New Brighton History Center Museum
700 Park Drive, New Brighton, MN 55112
Visit the restored train depot in LONG LAKE REGIONAL PARK and let your kids climb aboard the caboose. Open June-Sept, the museum exhibits are open weekends from 1-4pm. FREE admission.
Free Activities at Silverwood Park
2500 County Rd E, St Anthony, MN 55421
- Puppet Adventures & Let’s Get StARTed: Take in a puppet show followded by make-and-take nature-inspired art. July 10, 2022, 1-3pm.
- Float-In Movie on Silver Lake: Head for the beach in Silverwood Park, or use the Silver Beach boat launch. The movie will be shown on an inflatable screen in the beach area. July 16, 9pm.
Twin Cities Northeast Metro Free Summer Events
Covering the Twin Cities, Minnesota, communities of Maplewood, Roseville, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights & White Bear Lake. Some highlights and family fun ideas from our NORTHEAST METRO SUMMER EVENTS GUIDE:
BRUENTRUP HERITAGE FARM
2170 County Rd D E, Maplewood, MN 55109
Operated by the Maplewood Historical Society, the farm is open during summer open houses and for special events. The public is permitted to walk the grounds and trails at any time.
- SUMMER EXHIBIT OPEN HOUSES – first Sun/Mon, June-August, 2022.
ROSEVILLE COMMUNITY PARKS – Free summer events
- ROSEVILLE PUPPET WAGON – Make way for the puppets, coming to 9 Roseville parks this summer. Tues-Thurs in July, 2022. 9:30-11:30am.
- DISCOVER YOUR PARKS – Family activities at eight Roseville parks, refreshments and a bounce castle. Ongoing Wednesdays July 6-27, 2022.
- LIVE AT THE ROG! PERFORMANCE SERIES – Free concerts at the amphitheater in Central Park. Ongoing Sundays in July, 2022.
White Bear Lake
Tamarack nature Center
What really shines at Tamarack is its glorious outdoor DISCOVERY HOLLOW & GARDEN, the ultimate nature playground for kids. Bring a change of clothes and prepare to spend hours if you’re able.
Twin Cities Southeast Metro Free Summer Events
Covering the Twin Cities, Minnesota, communities of Apple Valley, Burnsville, Cottage Grove, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Rosemount & Woodbury. Some highlights and family fun ideas from our SOUTHEAST METRO SUMMER EVENTS GUIDE:
Free Tuesday @ Washington County Parks
Explore Washington County Parks free on the first Tuesday of every month (non-holiday). No vehicle permit required. Find a listing of parks here. July 5, 2022.
NICOLLET COMMONS PARK
12550 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville, MN 55337
The public space is part of the area Burnsville calls the “Heart of the City“. Families will love the park’s amphitheater where the city hosts summer concerts, movies and story times. There is also room to picnic and a beautiful water feature to splash in.
- THURSDAY ROCKIN LUNCH HOUR concerts – bring a picnic lunch and swimsuits to enjoy the landscaped splash pad! Thursdays in July, 2022.
- FRIDAY NIGHT FLICKS ON THE BRICKS, 7:30pm seating, show at dusk.
Caponi Art Park
1220 Diffley Rd, Eagan, MN 55123
Wander the self-guided trails through the sculpture park. Open 9am-8pm. FREE admission, donations appreciated.
July special event: Caponi Art Park celebrates its 30th anniversary with special events this summer. Catch an outdoor performance of Jesus Christ, Superstar select dates July 15-24. Please see website for times. FREE admission.
EAGAN MARKET FEST
1507 Central Pkwy, Eagan, MN 55121
The Eagan Central Park grounds buzz with weekly concerts and themed nights including one devoted solely to families. Get some fresh produce and let the kids enjoy the splash pad. Ongoing Wednesdays, 4-8pm July, 2022.
FOREVER WILD FAMILY FRIDAY: Yard Games
Thompson County Park, 1200 Stassen Lane, West St. Paul, MN 55118
WOODBURY COMMUNITY PARKS
- WOODBURY PUPPET WAGON – Traveling around Woodbury parks with fun puppet shows. Ongoing Mon-Thurs July, 2022.
- STORY TIME IN THE PARK – Ojibway Park, July 8 & 22, 2022 at 10am.
- STARLIGHT CINEMA OUTDOOR SERIES: The free movie series is hosted at Ojibway Park. Activities start at 7pm, movie at dusk. July 7 & 21, 2022. 2695 Ojibway Dr, Woodbury, MN 55125.
Twin Cities Southwest Metro Free Summer Events
Covering the Twin Cities, Minnesota, communities of Bloomington, Chaska, Eden Prairie, Edina, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Minnetonka, New Hope, Richfield, Shakopee, St Louis Park & Victoria. Some highlights and family fun ideas from our SOUTHWEST METRO SUMMER EVENTS GUIDE:
Pond Dakota Mission Park open houses
Pond Dakota Mission Park, 401 E 104th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
Hands-on living history programs fun and free of charge. New themes each week. Saturdays, July 2-23, 2022.
July Free Family Fun Days with Three Rivers Parks
Three Rivers Parks locations
Drop in for free nature programs at RICHARDSON NATURE CENTER. New themes each week. Sundays, July 3-31, 2022, 1-3pm.
BLOOMINGTON ARTS IN THE PARKS – Free events
- MONDAY MORNING KIDS SERIES – Alternating between Moir Central Park & Valley View Park, Mondays, July 11-25, 2022. 10:30am. 10320 Morgan Ave South, Bloomington, MN 55431.
- TUESDAY EVENING PERFORMANCE SERIES – Normandale Bandshell, starts July 12 & 26, 2022. 7-8pm.
- MIDWEEK MUSIC & MARKET – Music, food trucks, a farmers market and lawn games at Civic Plaza. Wednesday evenings, July 13-27, 2022. 5-8pm.
- THURSDAY BLOCKBUSTER SERIES – Normandale Bandshell, July 14-28, 2022, 7pm. W 84th St & Chalet Rd, Bloomington, MN 55437.
- FRIDAY NIGHT LIVE – July 8-29, 2022, 6-9pm.
Staring Lake Park – Entertainment in the Park
- KIDSTOCK – Staring Lake Amphitheater, Tuesdays July 12-26, 2022, 10:30am. 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347.
- CHILDREN’S THEATER WORKSHOP – free performances in the park. July 29-31, 2022. Please see website for times.
CENTENNIAL LAKES PARK
Edina’s crown jewel of a public park is a haven for summer entertainment. Free summer events are held daily Sun-Thurs and include family-friendly concerts at the outdoor amphitheater, Movies in the Park ongoing Thursday evenings, and the Farmers Market.
MINNETONKA ART IN THE PARK:
- MUSIC IN THE PARK & FARMERS MARKET – Live music and fresh products. Market runs Tuesdays, in July, 2022. 3-7pm. Minnetonka Civic Center Campus Ice Arena B Parking Lot, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd.
RICHFIELD’S VETERANS PARK
6335 Portland Ave, Richfield, MN 55423
Veterans Park (also called Veterans Memorial Park) is Richfield’s largest park. It is home base to a number of free events each summer including:
- KIDS ENTERTAINMENT IN THE PARK – Tuesdays July 12-26, 2022, 11am.
- RICHFIELD FARMERS MARKET – Don’t miss getting your fresh produce at the weekly farmers market – let the kids have the run of the large playground while you shop. Saturdays, 7am-12pm.
RICHFIELD COMMUNITY PARKS:
- RICHFIELD SUMMER PLAYGROUND: Free supervised activities for kids ages 6-12 at 4 Richfield parks. See PDF for more information. Registration required. Mon-Thurs in July 2022, 9am-3pm.
- FRIDAY FUN AT AUGSBURG ADVENTURE PARK – Read-a-Story Theater followed by time to play at the inclusive park. July 1 & 22, 10am. 7000 Nicollet Avenue, Richfield MN.
SHAKOPEE COMMUNITY PARKS – Free Entertainment
- HUBER PARK PERFORMANCE & EVENT SERIES – Family entertainment on the riverfront. Wednesdays, July 7-28, 2022, 7pm. Fillmore St N, Shakopee, MN 55379.
Nature Center Without Walls at Lowry Nature Center
7025 Victoria Dr, Victoria, MN 55386
Free nature programming – each weekend features different activities and experiences in nature. July 2 & 23, 2022. Drop-in between 1-3pm.
SECOND SATURDAYS AT GRIMM FARMHOUSE
Carver Park Reserve, 7025 Victoria Drive, Victoria, MN 55386
Step back in time with interpreters and old-fashioned lawn games. July 9, 2022, 1:30-4pm.
Multiple Twin Cities Park locations
July uNIVERSE IN THE PARKS
See our out-of-this-world Universe in the Park article to get more details on these stargazing opportunities. $7 vehicle permit required at programs in Minnesota state parks, no fee at nature centers. July 2022 dates: 1, 8-9, 16, 22-23 & 29-30.</spa
Free Twin CIties Independence Day/July Fourth Events & More 2022 July Festivals
APPLE VALLEY: Freedom Days Festival | Johnny Cake Ridge Park East
BLAINE: Blaine Fireworks | National Sports Center
CHANHASSEN: 4th of July Celebration | City Center Park
COON RAPIDS: Coon Rapids 4th of July | Coon Rapids Ice Center
DELANO: Delano 4th of July Celebration | 559 North River Street
EAGAN: Eagan July 4th Funfest | Eagan Community Center festival grounds
EDEN PRAIRIE: Eden Prairie 4th of July Hometown Celebration | Round Lake Park
EDINA: Edina 4th of July Parade | Edina City Hall
EXCELSIOR: Lake Minnetonka 4th of July | Excelsior Commons Park
FOREST LAKE: Forest Lake 4th of July
HAM LAKE: Freedom Festival | Ham Lake Lions Park
HUDSON: Booster Days | Lakefront Park, Hudson WI
LAKE ELMO: Fourth of July Kids Parade | Lake Elmo Ave & 32nd
LAKEVILLE: Pan-O-Prog Fireworks | Lakeville North High School
MAPLEWOOD: Maplewood Light it Up | Hazelwood Park
PLYMOUTH: Happy Birthday America Parade | Hilde Performance Center
SHAKOPEE: Shakopee Happy Birthday America Parade | Lions Park
STILLWATER: Stillwater 4th of July Fireworks | Lowell Park
ST LOUIS PARK: St. Louis Park July 4th Fireworks Celebration | Aquila Park
WHITE BEAR LAKE: White Bear Lake Fireworks – Manitou Days | Memorial Beach
WOODBURY: Woodbury’s Hometown Celebration | HealthEast Sports Center
FREE TWIN CITIES SWIMMING, WADING & SPLASHING IN JULY
You don’t have to look far to find a free spot to take a dip in the Twin Cities. The following beaches, pools & splash pads beckon to little swimmers and charge no vehicle fee or admission. Make sure to double check the websites before packing up the swimsuits and heading out!
FREE TWIN CITIES BEACHES
CARVER COUNTY SWIMMING BEACHES
Carver Lake Park Beach, Woodbury
CHASKA CLAYHOLE SWIM BEACH
CRYSTAL BEACH, BURNSVILLE
DAKOTA COUNTY PARKS SWIMMING BEACHES
Eden Prairie Beaches
– RILEY LAKE PARK
– ROUND LAKE PARK
Ramsey County swimming beaches
SILVER LAKE BEACH, NORTH ST PAUL
Phalen regional park beach, St Paul
Plymouth swimming beaches
Three Rivers Park District swimming beaches
Free Twin Cities Swimming Pools & Wading Pools
MINNEAPOLIS WADING POOLS
Webber Natural Swimming Pool
4330 Webber Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55412
Free Twin Cities Splash Pads
Find our list of the best splash pads in the Twin Cities!
Nicollet Commons Park water feature | Burnsville
FIND OUR COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE BEST TWIN CITIES BEACHES, SWIMMING POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS!
Free Twin Cities family artS events - July 2022
First Free Saturday at Walker ARt Center
725 Vineland Pl, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Free gallery admission for the whole family every first Saturday of the month. Don’t forget to explore the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden! July 2, 2022, 10am-3pm.
FREE ART MUSEUMS TO VISIT
- Minneapolis Institute of Art – Daily free admission plus monthly themed art activities for families.
- Walker Art Center | Minneapolis – FREE Thursday evenings & First Saturdays of each month.
FIRST FREE SUNDAYS AT MINNESOTA CHILDREN’S MUSEUM
Free days are BACK at the museum and we’re super excited about it! Explore the exhibits, including the brand new Shipwreck Adventures admission-free the first Sunday of each month thanks to Securian Financial. Reservations required. July 3, 2022.
2022 July Summer Library Programs
Unlike school, there is no “summer break” at your local library! This year many summer reading programs have been tweaked to provide activities and challenges you can complete at home. Remember, most locations are open for online checkout and curbside pickup! Find your local branches and full summer schedules below:
- Anoka County Library | Summer Adventures
- Carver County Library | Tails & Tales Summer Reading Program
- Dakota County Library | Summer Discovery
- Hennepin County Library | Summer Learning
- Ramsey County Library | Summer Learning Program
- Scott County Library | Summer Spotlight
- St Paul Public Library | Summer Spark
- Washington County Library | Summer Adventures
Twin Cities July events we hope to see return
Open Eye Figure Theater Ice Cream Social
Free ice cream cones, carnival games and puppet shows! Sweet way to end July. 1-3pm.
4 thoughts on “50 Free Things To Do In July: Twin Cities Family Events”
Thank you for your hard work in putting together this amazing website! Being new to Twin cities area, this website is where my weekend planning begins…
Thank YOU, Bharat! We love hearing that!
This website is amazing. Thank you for compiling all this information into one area!!! It’s my daily go-to for entertaining my 3 y/o!
Thank you, Erin. We live in an amazing metro area!