In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page because you are looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature. Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas of things to do with kids in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory, including family outings, services, classes, camps, birthday parties and more.
Family Fun Directory of Things To Do with Kids:
Nicollet Commons Park is basically the courtyard of the Ames Center. It is part of the area Burnsville calls the "Heart of the City" (126th Street and Nicollet Avenue). Families will enjoy the park's amphitheater where the city hosts summer concerts, movies and story times. There is also room to picnic and a beautiful water feature.
This park hosts annual events including the International Festival of Burnsville in July, Halloween Fest in October, and a Holiday Lighting Celebration in November. Learn more about these events in the articles linked at the bottom of this page.
Burnsville Nicollet Commons Park Splash Pad
This is the home of the infamous Burnsville splash pad. Love it or hate it, the splash pad at this park is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. In fact, I hesitated to let my kids play in it until I saw that all the other kids were there in their swim suits. It looks like a decorative fountain. If you come for a movie or music, definitely bring your kids' swim suits and towels!
Summer Entertainment and Burnsville Free Summer movies
- Thursday Rockin’ Readers | Join local school principals for a story time each Thursday in the summer.
- Thursday Rockin’ Lunch Hour | The concert series is geared toward preschool children and includes all our favorite kid bands. (Read why Anne recommends Thursdays at Nicollet Commons: Family Fun: Best Twin Cities Splash Pad & Thursday Rockin’ Lunch Hour)
- Friday Night "Flicks on the Bricks" | Seating at 7:30 p.m, movies begin at dusk.
- Heart of the City Music in the Park – Sunday Night Concerts | 7 p.m.
Articles Related to Nicollet Commons Park
- Splash Happy: Twin Cities Guide to Beaches, Pools, Water Parks & Splash Pads
- FFTC’s Guide to Free and Cheap Summer Movies
- Light It Up: Twin Cities & Greater Minnesota Christmas & Holiday Light Displays
- FFTC’s Guide to Twin Cities Halloween Fun (Halloween Fest)
- Twin Cities July Family Festival Calendar (International Festival of Burnsville)
What is the Family Fun Twin Directory?
This is the most extensive collection of companies, organizations, activities and places to find things to do with kids in the Twin Cities. Find things to do this weekend, things to do today, things to do with toddlers, things to do with teens. We have it all. Sort by indoor things to do with kids or outdoor things to do with kids. Find theater, music, water parks, aquariums, zoos, museums, seasonal fun.
Find the Answers to Your Questions. How much does it cost? What are the hours? Where can I find discount tickets? Where did my favorite store go?
We share Family Friendly Businesses. We work hard to keep it the most current and accurate parenting resource in the Twin Cities. Not just a blog for moms, we are a informational resource for families. This parent to parent list is perfect for dads, moms and grandparents to find fun things to do with kids year round.
This directory was made for families who live in the Twin Cities metro to connect with local businesses. However, visitors to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will find our directory useful to learn more about venues with insider tips and details. Use this directory to find the best things to do with families in Minnesota's largest metropolitan area.
Connect With Us: