Located across West Arbor Lake from the community center and nestled between the library and government center, Town Green Park serves as Maple Grove's bandshell park. It was finished in 2009, and most summers the city offers a variety of community entertainment, including concerts, movies, and other entertainment in the bandshell. This includes family concerts on Thursday mornings. You may want to bring your own folding chairs, but there is seating on the tiered terrace walls and room for blankets in the grassy spaces.
For cancellations of scheduled performances due to weather, call the weather line at 763-494-5959. Please see the Town Green website for the most up-to-date information on the Sounds of Summer schedule and other entertainment.
10 Ideas for Family Fun at Town Green Park
- Make Music Together in the music park. We had a lot of fun with this.
- Watch Ducks and Geese from the Adirondack chairs.
- Explore Fish and other pond life up close. There are several great places on the terrace to safely watch fish, dragonflies, waterfowl and assorted pond creatures. On our visit, the fish were so thick you couldn't see through them. According to the park's website, fishing is not allowed. However, I saw several people shore fishing on the community center side.
- Skip Stones in the pond. So technically, it will be more throwing rocks. Unless you bring your own skipping stones, there isn't a great variety of good skippers along the edge of the rocks, but my kids didn't notice.
- Pack a picnic. This is a lovely park for an outdoor meal. There are also several restaurants and coffee shops close by, if you want to just grab something on the way.
- Visit the Library. Maple Grove Library shares the same courtyard. Visit the book dragon while you are there and look for the drawings by Tomie de Paola. He drew them while visiting the library in 1990.
- Go for a walk along the paved paths. This could be a good place to bring scooters, but care should be taken for pedestrians. Paths lead up to the community center.
- Play follow the leader on the terrace walls. This is good balance practice - especially for younger kids. Don't do this during concerts though.
- Take in a concert or other community entertainment. Visit on a Thursday morning in the summer for family concerts.
- Explore the pretty gardens. They weren't that pretty when we visited in early June, but you could tell the prairie areas would be lovely in a few weeks.
Birthday Parties at Town Green Meeting Room
The Meeting Room has a capacity of 30 and can be rented for private events like birthday parties. Find more information here.For more birthday party ideas, check out our article, Twin Cities Birthday Parties for Kids.
Watch City Fireworks
This is a good spot to watch the Maple Grove Fireworks, although it may be a little too close for more sensitive children. Usually held at the Maple Grove Community Center across the pond, the fireworks can be viewed from Town Green Park.
Video of Town Green Park
CCX Media interviewed Maple Grove Special Events Coordinator Debbie Coss about Town Green Park in the video below.