Just off of France Avenue and surrounded by urban development, Centennial Lakes Park is 24 acres of family fun. It features nearly 1.5 miles of paved pathways that circle lakes and ponds, picnic space and swinging benches. Centennial Lakes Park offers plenty of free parking located near Hughes Pavilion. There is a Whole Foods nearby for impromptu picnics. Nearby restaurants include Q Cumbers, Chuck E Cheese and Jason's Deli. A Starbucks also shares the same parking lot.
The park is also home to the annual Fall Into the Arts Festival, held in early September.
Winter at Centennial Lakes Park:
Centennial Lakes Park lake Closes for the season on March 9th at 5:00pm. Call the skating hotline, 952-833-9586, for updates on opening day.
In the winter, the park grooms the 10-acre lake daily for ice skating. The warming house doubles as a concession stand where skaters can buy hot chocolate and other treats. Skates and ice sleds are available to rent. Warming house, restrooms, concessions and skate rental hours are from 4:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on weekdays, 10:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Noon to 9:30 p.m. on Sundays and school release days. On weekdays, skaters who bring their own skates can hit the ice as early as noon. Find more Twin Cities Ice Rinks here. In the winter, the 10-acres lake is groomed daily for ice skating. The rink is typically open from mid-December through mid-February. There is no admission charge for skating.
Summer at Centennial Lakes Park
Theses summer games open in May and close in September.
- Golf: In the summer, golfers 8+ (age limit is a recommendation, not enforced) can play 18 holes of golf on a small-scale course. The 18 manicured bent grass greens range in length from 57 to 125 feet and are surrounded by sand traps, ponds, boulders and planter beds. Players use only a putter. $10/per person or $6 for 9 holes on weekdays.
- Lawn Games: Croquet and lawn bowling courts are available to rent for $20 hour.
- Paddleboats: Paddleboats can be rented on a first come, first save basis at $10 per half hour. The hold four people.
- Farmers Market: A farmers market runs from mid-June to late September on Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Music and Entertainment: The park has entertainment Monday through Thursday during the summer months.
The Edina Model Yacht Club at Centennial Lakes Park
Edina's Model Yacht Club uses Centennial Lakes pond to run their boats. As a way to thank the City of Edina and the community for use of the pond, they host an annual Parade of Boats. This event is a free and open to the public. Look for it in early June. You can, however, often spot model boats operating on the pond weekends.
Birthday Parties at Centennial Lakes Park
The park offers building rentals for private events in the Fireside or Parlor rooms. Rentals are available in 4-hour increments. Note, though, you cannot bring in food without a caterer's license.
Another option is to host a party at the adjacent Chuck E Cheese and then add park activities for anyone who wishes to continue the fun outdoors.
Replacement of Pedestrian Bridges at Centennial Lakes Park
In Fall of 2018, the City of Edina re-constructed the pedestrian bridges which were originally installed when the park opened in 1991. The rusty bridges with narrow and nearly vertical stairs, were replaced with bridges that are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers. The new bridges, made of steel and concrete, include slip-resistant decks, widened walkways and LED lighting and are taller so the Zamboni can go underneath.
Related to Centennial Lakes Park