The Twin Cities practically sings in the summer. Every corner of the metro is full of FREE summer concerts! What could be better for an impromptu family night out? Not much! Enjoy strains of strings, rhythms of rockers and energy of ethnic music, pack a picnic dinner and sometimes catch a movie afterwards.
Where possible, we provided a basic schedule, but we recommend checking the websites – especially if the date falls near a holiday. Times and schedules are subject to change and most events are weather dependent.
ONGOING FREE SUMMER CONCERTS - SAINT PAUL & MINNEAPOLIS
FREE (unless listed as otherwise) concerts, family movies, theater productions and more. Find more details at the link.
- Como Lakeside Pavilion: At the Dock & Paddle. Some of these concerts are ticketed an not free, so be sure to check the details on their calendar of events.
- Highwood Hills Recreation Center – Fridays in June.
- Mears Park: Tuesday & Wednesday, Noon
- Rice Park: Mondays, Noon
While some concerts will still be virtual this year, catch live Jazz at Mears Park on Wednesday evenings at 4:30pm-6pm through September 1st. Bring your own seating and picnics are encouraged. Find the concert schedule here.
FREE concerts and activities in front of the conservatory, Wednesday evenings in July. Some food and beverages will be available to purchase. Concerts will take place in visitor center if it rains. 6pm-8pm.
Bonus Fun: Como Zoo is open until 6pm. Make a reservation and have a day at the zoo before the concert. Or just pack a picnic and enjoy some fun playground time.
The museum will not be open during concerts this year, but music will be offered ongoing Tuesdays in July, 5:45-8pm.
Family-Friendly Favorite: Roe Family Singers on July 6th.
Enjoy Wednesday lunch hour concerts on Landmark Center’s Market Street Porch. Bring a Lunch and a lawn chair. Wednesdays at 12pm, July 14-August 4.
More Family Fun: The Landmark Center is fully re-opened, so pop inside to visit the free museums – The American Association of Woodturners Gallery of Wood Art and the Schubert Club Music Museum (which has had a recent makeover).
On the plaza at West 7th place
A free outdoor concert series with lunchtime and happy hour concerts on the plaza.
- Thursday, July 22nd @ 12pm: Full Circle Theater Company
- Thursday, August 5th @ 4:30pm: Ready Freddie: A Queen Experience
- Thursday, August 12th @ 12pm: Legacy Arts Group
- Thursday, August 12th @ 4:30pm: The Champagne Drops
- Wednesday, August 18th @ 4:30pm: Grimm & Cruz
- Thursday, August 19th @ 4:30pm: MsArnise
- Wednesday, August 25th @ 4:30pm: Victor Zupanc
- Thursday, August 26th @ 12pm: TaikoArts Midwest
- Thursday, September 9th @ 4:30pm: Annie and the Bang Bang
- Friday, September 10th @ 12pm: Ben Cook-Feltz
- Thursday, September 23rd @ 4:30pm: The Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society
Find More Information on our Festival Calendars (links below), but here is a list of some of our favorite summer festivals with FREE concerts:
- June 4th-5th: Flint Hills Family Festival | Downtown St Paul
- June 12th, July 10th, August 14th: Lowertown Blues Fest | Dual Citizen Brewing, St Paul
- June 12th-13th: Deutsche Tage | Germanic-American Institute, St Paul
- June 19th-20th: Stone Arch Bridge Festival | Minneapolis
- August 13-15, 2021: Irish Fair of Minnesota | Harriet Island Park, St Paul
FREE SUMMER CONCERTS TWIN CITIES NORTH METRO
Splash & Play Tuesdays | Prairie Park
Cool off in the park’s splash pad and enjoy kids entertainment on Tuesdays as well as select evening events. Find the line up on pg. 15 at the link. June 8-July 27, 2021: Ongoing Tuesdays, 10am
Entertainment in the Park | Hilde Performance Center
A full line up of concerts, community theater & movies throughout the summer.
Family Friendly Favorites: June 20 – Dollipops Concert; August 5 – Kidsfest with the Bazillions.
Live at The Rog! Performance Series | Frank Rog Amphitheater, Central Park. June 13- Aug 15, 2022: Select Sun, Tues & Thurs. 6 or 7pm
Family Friendly Favorites: June 22 – Tricia and the Toonies; Jun3 27 – Teddy Bear Band.
Free Wednesday Concerts at Shoreview Community Center. 7pm All Ages. 10am Kids. Concerts in the Commons – June 16 – Aug 18, 2021: 7pm
Family Friendly Favorites: Kidz Concerts – July 7 – Aug 11, 2021: 10am
Bonus Fun: Have an indoor playdate at Tropical Adventures Indoor Playground.Twin Cities Indoor Playgrounds and Play Areas Guide
Salo Park Concert Series
This series (usually every Thursday in the summer) has been cancelled for 2021. However, we did happen to catch a band this year during a bike ride. Check out the park’s recently-resurfaced trail and maybe you’ll get lucky, too.
FREE SUMMER CONCERTS TWIN CITIES SOUTH METRO
FREE SUMMER CONCERTS TWIN CITIES WEST METRO
Music on the Hill | Hyland Hills
Bring family, friends and your dancing shoes. Seating is outdoors; bring a blanket. Food and beverages available for purchase. Doors open at 6 p.m.; show starts at 7 p.m.
- June 23 | The Belfast Cowboys
- Aug. 11 | The Good, the Bad and the Funky
Old National Bank Summer Concert Series | Center Park Plaza
Thursday evening concerts & concessions at 7pm June 10-August 5, 2021 (no concert July 1).
Family Friendly Favorite: The Teddy Bear Band plays July 29th at 11am.
Variety of Community Entertainment at Staring Lake Amphitheater throughout the summer. See the City Calendar for dates and details.
Family Friendly Favorites: Kidstock Concerts on Tuesdays at 10:30am.
Staring Lake Amphitheater —->
Centennial Lakes Park is a haven for FREE summer entertainment! Events are held daily Sun-Thurs and include family-friendly concerts at the outdoor amphitheater.
Family Friendly Favorites: Tuesday Kids Concerts at Maezold Amphitheater. Tuesdays, 12pm.
Bonus Fun: There is so much to explore at Centennial Lakes Park.
Performance on the Plaza (P.O.P.) – Free concerts every Friday night from 4pm-7pm at the plaza at 50th & France. June 4th-August 7th.
Entertainment in Augsburg Park
Evening Series: June 8 – Aug 3, 2021′ 6:30pm
Family Friendly Favorites: Kids Shows: June 8 – July 27, 11am
St. Louis Park
FREE SUMMER CONCERTS TWIN CITIES EAST METRO
Free music in Hidden Spring Park on Centerville Lake (1601 LaMotte Drive). Music at 6:30 p.m. Food truck & dessert table on site for fee.
- July 13, 2021 – Cindy Jo & Dirt Road Dixie
- July 20, 2021 – Steve Poynter
- July 27, 2021 – Doo Da Day
- August 10, 2021 – Tim Cheesebrow
- August 17, 2021 – Soundfall
Check Facebook page for weather related events prior to attending.
WHITE BEAR LAKE
What We Are Watching:
COON RAPIDS: Summer Concert Series | Coon Rapids Regional Park performance pavilion. Ongoing Thursdays June 4 – August 6, 2020: 7pm, FREE (no vehicle permit)
NORTH ST. PAUL: Music in the Parks Summer Concert Series | Casey Lake Park
CHASKA: Free concerts and entertainment at Firemen’s Park & City Square Park
WOODBURY: Performance in the Park | Central Park Amphitheater
- July 1- & Aug 7, 2020: 7pm