Twin Cities Southwest Metro: Things To Do This Summer – Covering the Twin Cities, Minnesota, communities of Bloomington, Chaska, Eden Prairie, Edina, Golden Valley, Hopkins, Minnetonka, New Hope, Richfield, Shakopee, St Louis Park & Victoria.
School’s out and your family is just itching to explore beyond the backyard. We have the scoop on your community entertainment – live music in the parks, family festivals, swimming and splash pads, the puppet wagon and lots more to keep you busy this summer.
Get started planning your best summer!
Everything under the sun you need to know about family fun this summer in the Twin Cities. Beat boredom and fill your long school break days exploring the best the Twin Cities has to offer in the way of parks, swim spots, community entertainment and local festivals with our 2023 TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE SUMMER EVENTS GUIDE.
TWIN CITIES SOUTHWEST METRO SUMMER EVENTS 2023
Not the Twin Cities community you’re searching for? We’re also covering the following:
Twin Cities Northeast Metro: Things To Do This Summer
Twin Cities Northwest Metro: Things To Do This Summer
Twin Cities Southeast Metro: Things To Do This Summer
Bloomington parks – summer events
Want to get out and play in Bloomington parks this summer? Try starting with our list of the best: Bloomington Family Fun – 10 Parks To Explore This Summer.
Hyland Lake Park Reserve
10145 E Bush Lake Rd, Bloomington, MN 55438
Hyland Lake is part of the larger Hyland-Bush-Anderson Lakes Park Reserve and contains such delights as a nature center, gigantic playground, disc golf course and two swimming beaches. To entertain on a budget this summer try:
- RICHARDSON NATURE CENTER is stuffed with bright, interactive exhibits and is home to live raptors. Outdoors, kids can play and build freely in the Nature Exploration Area.
- FREE FAMILY FUN DAYS are held ongoing Sundays at the nature center during the summer. Drop in from 1-3pm.
Bloomington Arts in the Parks
- MONDAY MORNING KIDS SERIES – Moir Central Park, June 5 – Aug 7, 2023. 10:30am. 10320 Morgan Ave South, Bloomington, MN 55431.
- TUESDAY EVENING PERFORMANCE SERIES – Normandale Lake Bandshell, starts June 6, 2023, 7pm.
- MIDWEEK MUSIC & MARKET – Music, food trucks, a farmers market and lawn games at Civic Plaza. Wednesday evenings, July 12-Aug 23, 2023. 5-8pm.
- THURSDAY BLOCKBUSTER SERIES – Normandale Bandshell, June 8-August 10, 2023, 7pm. W 84th St & Chalet Rd, Bloomington, MN 55437.
- SUNDAY FUNDAY – Family-friendly entertainment and food. June 18-August 23, 2023, 4-6:30pm. See link for locations around Bloomington.
Bloomington summer festivals
Bloomington Summer Fete
W 84th St & Chalet Rd, Bloomington, MN 55437
The annual summer event includes a carnival, live music and fireworks at dusk. Learn more about Bloomington’s at Normandale Lake Park. July 3, 2023.
Bloomington swimming & beaches
Bush Lake Beach
9140 East Bush Lake Road, Bloomington, MN 55438
The popular, sandy beach is located on the east side of Bush Lake in Bloomington. It is guarded during open hours (11am to 7pm daily during the season) and amenities include a volleyball court and concessions stand. Families can canoe, picnic and explore the trails. An annual tradition, each June a sandcastle building contest is hosted at Bush Lake Beach. Admission and parking are free. June 1-Labor Day, 2023.
Bloomington Family Aquatic Center
201 E 90th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
Fun features include a zero-depth entry pool, aqua climbing wall, water slides, diving boards, and a concession stand. Tot Time is held 10am to 12pm on weekdays for children ages 6 & under. Find more community Tot Time Open Swims. Open June 10 – August 20, 2023. $8-$10/pp. Save with twilight rates of $7-$8/pp after 4pm.
Find more of the best Twin Cities beaches and playgrounds.
Explore more things to do this summer in Bloomington – with kids!
Chaska parks – summer events
3210 Chaska Blvd, Chaska, MN 55318
Chaska’s Firemen’s Park is a popular summer destination for families. The park’s amenities include playgrounds, a simple splash pad, a beach and boardwalk, plenty of picnic space plus a concession area, flower gardens, archery range and horseshoe pits.
- MONDAY FRIENDS AT FIREMENS – Meet up w/ local families at the park for swimming and outdoor play. Ages 6+. Mondays, June 12-August 21, 2023. 1:30-3pm. FREE.
- WEDNESDAY NIGHT CONCERTS – Family-friendly live music in Firemen’s Park. Tuesdays, June 14-August 9, 2023. 6pm.
Chaska community parks
- TUESDAY KIDS ENTERTAINMENT – Bands just for young ones. Held select Tuesdays, summer 2023. See link for Chaska community park locations and times.
Chaska summer festivals
Fire & Ice Festival Bonspiel
A community festival with food, live music, activities for kids in the park and fireworks. Held in Firemen’s Park. July 14-15, 2023.
Chaska swimming & beaches
Clayhole Swim Beach
3210 Chaska Blvd, Chaska, MN 55318
Firemen’s Park surrounds Clayhole Lake and Swim Beach. We rate this one of the best beaches for families in the Twin Cities.
Eden Prairie parks – summer events
Staring Lake Park
14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
There’s so much to explore at Staring Lake. In summer, hit up the playground, archery range, disc golf course, hiking trails and sports fields and courts. There is also free family entertainment at the Staring Lake Amphitheater throughout the summer months.
- EDEN PRAIRIE OUTDOOR CENTER: Free family-friendly activities at the Nature Rocks! Open House such as hiking, hands-on interaction with live animals, craft projects and more. Saturdays, 2023. 10am-1pm.
- KIDSTOCK – Staring Lake Amphitheater, Tuesdays, 10:30am. 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347.
- EDEN PRAIRIE PARK PLAYERS present: The Addams Family Summer Musical – free performances. June 16-18 & 22-25, 2023, 7pm.
Eden Prairie summer festivals
Arts in the Park
Purgatory Creek Park, 13001 Technology Drive, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55344
Shop local artisans and take in live entertainment, lawn games, art activities and food trucks. August 19, 2023. 10am-5pm.
Eden Prairie 4th of July Hometown Celebration
Round Lake Park, 16691 Valley View Road, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55346
Inflatables, chalk art, kids beach party, carnival, music and fireworks. July 4, 2023.
Staring Lake Park, 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
The annual festival is a large-scale arts event that bring residents together in celebration of the many cultures that make the community great. July 26-August 5, 2023.
Eden Prairie swimming & beaches
Round Lake Park Beach
16691 Valley View Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55346
Kids will go crazy for the marine-themed splash pad and treehouse play equipment at the Round Lake Play Area. Older kids might find it fun to rent youth kayaks ($5/hr) or stand-up paddleboards ($8/hr) or bike ride the one-mile path around Round Lake. Nearby is plenty of shaded picnic space and the new Round Lake Skate Plaza.
Bryant Lake Regional Park
6800 Rowland Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
A wide range of recreational activities await families in the park: swimming in the sand-bottomed Bryant Lake, disc golf on the 18-hole course, hiking and nature watching. There is no fee to swim at the beach.
Edina parks – summer events
Centennial Lakes Park
Edina’s crown jewel of a public park is a haven for summer entertainment. Events are held daily Sun-Thurs and include family-friendly concerts at the outdoor amphitheater, Movies in the Park ongoing Thursday evenings, and the Farmers Market. Open starting Memorial Day are the park’s paddle boats, putting course & lawn games.
Edina summer festivals
Edina Art Fair
50th & France bustles with vendors, live music and a Kids Zone. June 2-4, 2023.
Edina 4th of July Parade
Parade route: Edina City Hall heading east on 50th Street, ending at Halifax. Fireworks to be set off in Rosland Park after dusk. July 4, 2023, 10am.
Edina swimming & beaches
Edina Aquatic Center
4300 W 66th St, Edina, MN 55435
Located in ROSLAND PARK the outdoor pool has a pirate-theme and unique water features, a zero depth area, and water slides. For the younger kids, there is a zero-depth water playground named Lil’ Lagoon, designed specifically for them. June 8-July 31, 2023. $10-$13/pp, admission $7 extra for Lost Wave Simulator.
Golden Valley parks – summer events
- CONCERTS IN THE PARK – Mondays, June 5-August 7, 2023. 7pm.
- GOLDEN VALLEY ICE CREAM SOCIAL – Free ice cream during the concert in the park. July 10, 2023, 7pm.
- PENNY CARNIVAL – For kids 12 & under, super cheap carnival games, hayrides, inflatables, puppet shows, snacks and more. July 28, 2023, 12:30-2pm.
- FAMILY STORYTIME – Storytelling by Princess Party Pals for kids ages 12 & under. August 23, 2023. 10:30am.
City Hall – Playground Adventure Van
Kids between the age of 6 to 12 can drop by Golden Valley City Hall between 9:30am and 11:30am on Mondays & Wednesdays to play games, make crafts, and participate in activities all led by park staff. June 12-July 24, 2023. FREE.
Golden Valley Puppet Wagon
Golden Valley’s Puppet Wagon hits a variety of local parks on Monday and Tuesdays, except during the week of July 4th. June 13-July 27, 2023, 9:45-11:15am. See link for park schedule.
Hopkins parks – summer events
- HOPKINS SUNSET SERIES OUTDOOR CONCERTS – performed in DOWNTOWN PARK. Thursdays, June 15-August 13, 2022, 7pm. 40 9th Ave S, Hopkins, MN 55343.
Hopkins summer festivals
Hopkins Raspberry Festival
The festival includes Family Day in Central Park with art activities, fireworks and other entertainment and a Grande Day Parade. July 12-16, 2023.
Explore more things to do in Hopkins this summer – with kids!
Minnetonka parks – summer events
Minnetonka Art in the Park:
- MUSIC IN THE PARK & FARMERS MARKET – Live music begins June 6, 2023. Market runs Tuesdays, June 6 – September 23, 2023. 7pm. Minnetonka Civic Center Campus, Ice Arena B Parking Lot, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd.
MINNETONKA MOVIES IN THE PARK – Bring your blankets and chairs. Movies start at sunset: Lyle, Lyle Crocodie. August 31, 2023. Civic Center Amphitheater, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka, MN 55345.
Minnetonka summer festivals
Minnetonka Summer Fest
Minnetonka Civic Center, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd
Inflatables, petting zoo, family music, and fireworks. All activities are free except food! June 24, 2023.
Minnetonka swimming & beaches
Shady Oak Beach
5200 Shady Oak Rd, Minnetonka, MN 55343
This 85-acre park in Minnetonka has a large, sandy beach and a play area with misters and a fossil dig. Admission is $6/pp.
New Hope parks – summer events
- NEW HOPE MUSIC IN THE PARK – New Hope Performance Center. 4401 Xylon Ave N, New Hope MN. Wednesdays, May 31-June 14, July 5 & August 2, 16 & 23, 2023.
- NEW HOPE MOVIES IN THE PARK – New Hope Performance Center. June 15, July 13 & Aug 24, 2023.
New Hope summer festivals
Wet & Wild Water Fun Day
Valley Place Park, 6822 32nd Ave N, Crystal
Three giant water slides, a kiddie slide and sprinkler fun provided by West Metro Fire’s aerial truck. August 4, 2023, 12:30-3pm. $3-$5/pp.
New Hope HeyDey Festival
New Hope’s new festival (f/k/a Duk Duk Daze) is TBD for 2023.
New Hope swimming
New Hope Aquatic Center
4411 Xylon Ave N, New Hope MN
The new swimming spot includes a recreational pool with zero-depth entry, a current channel, vortex pool and body slides. Open June 3-4 & June 8-August 20, 2023. $10-$11/pp.
Richfield parks – summer events
Richfield’s Veterans Park
6335 Portland Ave, Richfield, MN 55423
Veterans Park (also called Veterans Memorial Park) is Richfield’s largest park. It is home to Legion Lake and several walking and biking paths, an outdoor pool, an ice arena, and a mini-golf course.
- KIDS ENTERTAINMENT IN THE PARK – Tuesdays, June 13-August 15, 2023, 11am.
- EVENING SERIES IN THE PARK – Tuesdays starting June 13, 2023, 6:30pm.
- RICHFIELD FARMERS MARKET – Don’t miss getting your fresh produce at the weekly farmers market – let the kids have the run of the large playground while you shop. Saturdays starting May 6, 2023. 7am-12pm.
Richfield community parks:
- RICHFIELD SUMMER PLAYGROUND: FREE supervised activities for kids ages 6-12 at 4 Richfield parks. See PDF for more information. Registration required. Mon-Thurs starting June 12, 2023, 9am-3pm.
- FRIDAY FUN AT AUGSBURG ADVENTURE PARK – Read-a-Story Theater followed by time to play at the inclusive park plus special entertainment such as dance parties and puppet shows. Select Fridays & Saturdays starting May 12 through August 25, 2023. 7000 Nicollet Avenue, Richfield MN.
Richfield Nature Play
Wood Lake Nature Center
6710 Lake Shore Dr S, Richfield, MN 55423
Explore the indoor exhibits, outdoor trails and the nature play area. Check out a free nature exploration backpack at the front desk.
Richfield summer festivals
Richfield Red, White & Blue Days
Celebrate with Family Night Kids Parade, 4th of July Parade and fireworks to follow. TBA for 2023.
Richfield Outdoor Pool
630 E 66th St, Richfield, MN 55423
Open starting June 9, 2023. Admission $10-$11/pp.
- TOT TIME – Ages 7 & under. Mon-Sat, 10-11am.
Shakopee parks – summer events
Shakopee community parks
- HUBER PARK PERFORMANCE & EVENT SERIES – Family entertainment on the riverfront. Wednesdays, May 31-Aug 25, 2023, 7pm. Fillmore St N, Shakopee, MN 55379.
- POP-UP SPLASH PADS – Free and presented by Shakopee Fire Department. Plus, free hot dogs, chips and water. Fridays, July 14 & August 11, 2023. Please see PDF link for park locations.
- SHAKOPEE SUMMER CARNIVAL: Games, prizes and treats for kids ages 3-10. Lions Park. August 4, 2023. 10am, $5/admission per child.
Shakopee summer festivals
Happy Birthday America Parade
1103 Adams Street, Shakopee MN.
Starts at SHAKOPEE LIONS PARK shelter. June 30, 2023, 10:30am.
Shakopee swimming & beaches
SandVenture Aquatic Park
1101 Adams St S, Shakopee, MN 55379
A hybrid between a pool and a beach, SandVenture Aquatic Park is chlorinated but surrounded by sand for a beach-going experience. The park is home to two 12-drop slides and a 300-foot waterslide. Opens June 9, 2023. Admission is $3-$7/pp.
- PARENTS DAY – Parents admitted free with paid child. June 18, 2023.
- FRIDAY FAMILY BEACH BASH – June 23, 2023, 11am-2pm.
- PIRATE TREASURE HUNT – Activities like a treasure dig and magic shows. July 22, 2023.
Shakopee Splash Pad
1103 Adams St S, Shakopee, MN 55379
The splash pad is located at SHAKOPEE LIONS PARK next to the inclusive, FUN-FOR-ALL PLAYGROUND.
ST LOUIS PARK
St Louis Park parks – summer events
St Louis Park community parks
- KIDS SUMMER CONCERT SERIES – Wednesdays starting June 21, 2023, 10-11am. FREE. Veteran’s Memorial Amphitheater, 3700 Monterey Drive, St Louis Park MN.
Carpenter Park Skate Park
4900 MN-7, St Louis Park, MN 55416
Skaters can take advantage of a plaza-style skate park includes stairs, rails and a mini half-pipe.
St Louis Park Nature Play
Westwood Hills Nature Center
8300 W Franklin Ave, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Westwood Hills Nature Center is a 160-acre natural area featuring marsh, woods and restored prairie. Learn more about exploring indoors and out.
St Louis Park summer festivals
St. Louis Park Parktacular
Wolfe Park, 3700 Monterey Drive St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Grand Day Parade and Kidtacular family & kids activities are free or low cost. June 16-20, 2023.
July 4th Fireworks Celebration
Aquila Park, 3110 Xylon Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Concessions, vendors, live music and fireworks. July 4, 2023, 7-11pm.
St Louis Park swimming
St Louis Park Aquatic Center
3700 Monterey Dr, St Louis Park, MN 55416
The pool features sand and water play area, tot whale slide, spray arches, geysers, an aqua obstacle course, drop slides, diving boards and sun decks. Opens June 1, 2023. Admission is $6-$15/pp.
St Louis Park splash pad
Oak Hill Park splash pad
3201 Rhode Island Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
The 2,350-square-foot splash pad lets kids activate bubbling hoses, water nozzles and sprinkler arches. Admission is free for SLP residents and a buck for non.
Victoria parks – summer events
Carver Park Reserve
55386, 7400 Grimm Rd, Waconia, MN 55387
Sprawling on the western edge of the Twin Cities, Carver Park Reserve is home to a nature center, historic site, archery range, campgrounds, King Waterbird Sanctuary and many more recreational opportunities.
- SECOND SATURDAYS AT GRIMM FARMHOUSE – Step back in time with interpreters and old-fashioned lawn games. June 10 & July 8, 2023.
- LOWRY NATURE CENTER– free family programs are often offered and it’s always free to explore the nature-themed playground. 7025 Victoria Dr, Victoria, MN 55386.
- VICTORIA CONCERTS IN THE PARK – Wednesdays, June 7-August 9, 2023. 6-8pm. Charlson Thun Community Bandstand, 1730 Stieger Lake Lane, Victoria, MN 55386.
- LUNCH TIME TUNES – kids will enjoy these during the daytime plus a storytime offered by Victoria Library. June 21 & July 19, 2023. Noon.
Victoria nature playground
Lowry Nature Center
7025 Victoria Dr, Victoria, MN 55386
Nature Exploration Area: There are two playgrounds to explore here. The first is entirely man-made, following a “habitat” theme and prompting kids to learn about the park environment. You can climb to an osprey’s nest, peek into a “beaver dam”, tunnel like a mole and more. The second playground is a rough collection of stumps, fallen trunks, and club-sized sticks.
Victoria community entertainment
Victoria Recreation Center
- POP UP SPLASH PAD – July 26, 2023. 1-2pm. Victoria Recreation Ctr, 8475 Kochia Lane, Victoria, MN 55386.
- TRUCK RODEO – Get up close to big rigs and a helicopter. July 20, 2023, 6-8pm.
Victoria summer library events
The VICTORIA LIBRARY is a branch of the Carver County Library system, located on the first floor of Victoria City Hall. The City of Victoria’s summer catalog (PDF) lists all of the special summer events hosted by the Victoria Library, including storytimes, StoryWalks and live entertainment.
Summer reading program: All Together Now – June 1-August 12.