School’s out and your family is just itching to explore beyond the backyard. We have the scoop on your community entertainment – live music in the parks, family festivals, swimming and splash pads, the puppet wagon and lots more to keep you busy this summer.
Get started planning your best summer!
Everything under the sun you need to know about family fun this summer in the Twin Cities. Beat boredom and fill your long school break days exploring the best the Twin Cities has to offer in the way of parks, swim spots, community entertainment and local festivals with our 2022 TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE SUMMER EVENTS GUIDE.
TWIN CITIES SOUTHWEST METRO SUMMER EVENTS 2022
Not the Twin Cities community you’re searching for? We’re also covering the following:
Bloomington parks – summer events
Want to get out and play in Bloomington parks this summer? Try starting with our list of the best: Bloomington Family Fun – 10 Parks To Explore This Summer.
10145 E Bush Lake Rd, Bloomington, MN 55438
Hyland Lake is part of the larger Hyland-Bush-Anderson Lakes Park Reserve and contains such delights as a nature center, gigantic playground, disc golf course and two swimming beaches. To entertain on a budget this summer try:
- RICHARDSON NATURE CENTER is stuffed with bright, interactive exhibits and is home to live raptors. Outdoors, kids can play and build freely in the Nature Exploration Area.
- FREE FAMILY FUN DAYS are held ongoing Sundays at the nature center during the summer. Drop in from 1-3pm.
Bloomington Arts in the Parks
- MONDAY MORNING KIDS SERIES – Moir Central Park, June 6 – Aug 9, 2022. 10:30am. 10320 Morgan Ave South, Bloomington, MN 55431.
- TUESDAY EVENING PERFORMANCE SERIES – Normandale Bandshell, starts June 7, 2022, 7pm.
- MIDWEEK MUSIC & MARKET – Music, food trucks, a farmers market and lawn games at Civic Plaza. Wednesday evenings, July 13-Aug 24, 2022. 5-8pm.
- THURSDAY BLOCKBUSTER SERIES – Normandale Bandshell, June 9-August 11, 2022, 7pm. W 84th St & Chalet Rd, Bloomington, MN 55437.
- FRIDAY NIGHT LIVE – June 17-August 12, 2022, 6-9pm.
Bloomington summer festivals
W 84th St & Chalet Rd, Bloomington, MN 55437
The annual summer event includes a carnival, live music and fireworks at dusk. Learn more about Bloomington’s at Normandale Lake Park. July 3, 2023.
Bloomington swimming & beaches
9140 East Bush Lake Road, Bloomington, MN 55438
The popular, sandy beach is located on the east side of Bush Lake in Bloomington. It is guarded during open hours (11am to 7pm daily during the season) and amenities include a volleyball court and concessions stand. Families can canoe, picnic and explore the trails. An annual tradition, each June a sandcastle building contest is hosted at Bush Lake Beach. Admission and parking are free. June 1-August 31, 2022.
201 E 90th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
Fun features include a zero-depth entry pool, aqua climbing wall, water slides, diving boards, and a concession stand. Tot Time is held 10am to 12pm on weekdays for children ages 6 & under. Find more community Tot Time Open Swims. Open June 11 – August 21, 2022. $8-$10/pp.
Find more of the best Twin Cities beaches and playgrounds.
Chaska parks – summer events
3210 Chaska Blvd, Chaska, MN 55318
Chaska’s Firemen’s Park is a summer destination for families. The park’s amenities include playgrounds, a splash pad, a beach and boardwalk, plenty of picnic space plus a concession area, flower gardens, archery range and horseshoe pits.
- KIDS SUMMER ENTERTAINMENT SERIES – Held in Firemen’s Park. Tuesdays, June 14-Aug 23, 2022. Alternating, 10:30am & 6pm.
Chaska summer festivals
A community festival with food, live music, activities for kids in the park and fireworks. Held in Firemen’s Park. July 15-16, 2022.
Chaska swimming & beaches
3210 Chaska Blvd, Chaska, MN 55318
Firemen’s Park surrounds Clayhole Lake and Swim Beach. We rate this one of the best beaches for families in the Twin Cities.
Eden Prairie parks – summer events
14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
There’s so much to explore at Staring Lake. In summer, hit up the playground, archery range, disc golf course, hiking trails and sports fields and courts. There is also free family entertainment at the Staring Lake Amphitheater throughout the summer months.
- EDEN PRAIRIE OUTDOOR CENTER: Free family-friendly activities at the Nature Rocks! Open House such as hiking, hands-on interaction with live animals, craft projects and more. Saturdays, June 4 & 11, 2022. 10am-1pm.
- KIDSTOCK – Staring Lake Amphitheater, Tuesdays starting June 14, 2022, 10:30am. 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347.
- EDEN PRAIRIE PARK PLAYERS present: Cinderella – free performances. June 17-19 & 23-26, 2022, 7pm.
Eden Prairie summer festivals
Purgatory Creek Park, 13001 Technology Drive, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55344
Shop local artisans and take in live entertainment, lawn games, art activities and food trucks. Aug 20, 2022. 10am-5pm.
Round Lake Park, 16691 Valley View Road, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55346
Inflatables, chalk art, kids beach party, carnival, music and fireworks. July 4, 2022.
Staring Lake Park, 14800 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
The annual festival is a large-scale arts event that bring residents together in celebration of the many cultures that make the community great. July 26-Aug 9, 2022.
Eden Prairie swimming & beaches
16691 Valley View Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55346
Kids will go crazy for the marine-themed splash pad and treehouse play equipment at the Round Lake Play Area. Older kids might find it fun to rent youth kayaks ($5/hr) or stand-up paddleboards ($8/hr) or bike ride the one-mile path around Round Lake. Nearby is plenty of shaded picnic space and the new Round Lake Skate Plaza.
6800 Rowland Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
A wide range of recreational activities await families in the park: swimming in the sand-bottomed Bryant Lake, disc golf on the 18-hole course, hiking and nature watching. There is no fee to swim at the beach.
Edina parks – summer events
Edina’s crown jewel of a public park is a haven for summer entertainment. Events are held daily Sun-Thurs and include family-friendly concerts at the outdoor amphitheater, Movies in the Park ongoing Thursday evenings, and the Farmers Market. Open starting Memorial Day are the park’s paddle boats, putting course & lawn games.
Edina summer festivals
50th & France bustles with vendors, live music and a Kids Zone. June 3-5, 2022.
Parade route: Edina City Hall heading east on 50th Street, ending at Halifax. Note that fireworks will be set off July 3 in Rosland Park. July 4, 2022.
Edina swimming & beaches
4300 W 66th St, Edina, MN 55435
Located in ROSLAND PARK the outdoor pool has a pirate-theme and unique water features, a zero depth area, and water slides. For the younger kids, there is a zero-depth water playground named Lil’ Lagoon, designed specifically for them. June 10-July 31, 2022. $10-$13/pp, admission $7 extra for Lost Wave Simulator.
Golden Valley parks – summer events
CONCERTS IN THE PARK – Mondays, June 6-Aug 8, 2022. 7pm.
City Hall – Playground Adventure Van
Kids between the age of 6 to 12 can drop by Golden Valley City Hall between 9:30am and 11:30am on Wednesdays to play games, make crafts, and participate in activities all led by park staff.
- June 15 – Jump into Summer
- June 22 – Sports Of All Sorts
- June 29 – Red, White, & Boom
- July 13 – Into The Wild
- July 20 – Splash Bash
- July 27 – Super Duper Week
Golden Valley’s Puppet Wagon hits parks on Monday and Tuesdays, except during the week of July 4th, 2022.
9:45 am | Glenview Terrace Park
10:30 am | Scheid Park
11:15 am | Lions Park
9:45 am | Lions
10:30 am | Hampshire
11:15 am | N Wesley
Hopkins parks – summer events
- HOPKINS SUNSET SERIES OUTDOOR CONCERTS – performed in DOWNTOWN PARK. Thursdays, June 16-Aug 18, 2022, 7pm. 40 9th Ave S, Hopkins, MN 55343.
Hopkins summer festivals
The festival includes Family Day in Central Park with art activities, fireworks and other entertainment and a Grande Day Parade. July 13-17, 2022.
Minnetonka parks – summer events
Minnetonka Art in the Park:
- MUSIC IN THE PARK & FARMERS MARKET – Live music begins June 7, 2022. Market runs Tuesdays, June 7 – Sept 27, 2022. 7pm. Minnetonka Civic Center Campus
Ice Arena B Parking Lot, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd.
- THEATER IN THE PARK: MATILDA JR – Civic Center Park Amphitheater, Weekends, June 16-17, 2022. 10am & 6:30pm. FREE.
- MINNETONKA MOVIE IN TEH PARK – Aug 26, sunset.
Minnetonka summer festivals
Minnetonka Civic Center, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd
Inflatables, petting zoo, family music, and fireworks. All activities are free except food! June 25, 2022.
Minnetonka swimming & beaches
5200 Shady Oak Rd, Minnetonka, MN 55343
This 85-acre park in Minnetonka has a large, sandy beach and a play area with misters and a fossil dig. Admission is $6/pp.
New Hope parks – summer events
- NEW HOPE MUSIC IN THE PARK – New Hope Performance Center. 4401 Xylon Ave N, New Hope MN. Wednesdays, June 8-22. July 6 & 27. Aug 10, 2022.
- NEW HOPE MOVIES IN THE PARK – New Hope Performance Center. June 16, July 14 & Aug 25, 2022.
New Hope summer festivals
Valley Place Park, 6822 32nd Ave N, Crystal
Three giant water slides, a kiddie slide and sprinkler fun provided by West Metro Fire’s aerial truck. Aug 5, 2022, $3-$5/pp.
New Hope’s new festival (f/k/a Duk Duk Daze) is TBD for 2022.
New Hope swimming
4411 Xylon Ave N, New Hope MN
The new swimming spot includes a recreational pool with zero-depth entry, a current channel, vortex pool and body slides. Open June 4-5 & June 9-Aug 21, 2022. $9-$10/pp.
Richfield parks – summer events
6335 Portland Ave, Richfield, MN 55423
Veterans Park (also called Veterans Memorial Park) is Richfield’s largest park. It is home to Legion Lake and several walking and biking paths, an outdoor pool, an ice arena, and a mini-golf course.
- KIDS ENTERTAINMENT IN THE PARK – Tuesdays, June 14-Aug 2, 2022, 11am.
- EVENING SERIES IN THE PARK – Tuesdays starting June 14, 2022, 6:30pm.
- RICHFIELD FARMERS MARKET – Don’t miss getting your fresh produce at the weekly farmers market – let the kids have the run of the large playground while you shop. Saturdays starting May 14, 2022. 7am-12pm.
Richfield community parks:
- RICHFIELD SUMMER PLAYGROUND: Free supervised activities for kids ages 6-12 at 4 Richfield parks. See PDF for more information. Registration required. Mon-Thurs starting June 13, 2022, 9am-3pm.
- FRIDAY FUN AT AUGSBURG ADVENTURE PARK – Read-a-Story Theater followed by time to play at the inclusive park. Fridays, May 13-Aug 26, 2022, 10am. FREE. 7000 Nicollet Avenue, Richfield MN.
Richfield Nature Play
6710 Lake Shore Dr S, Richfield, MN 55423
Explore the indoor exhibits, outdoor trails and the nature play area. Check out a free nature exploration backpack at the front desk.
Richfield summer festivals
Celebrate with Family Night Kids Parade, 4th of July Parade and fireworks to follow. July 2-4, 2022.
630 E 66th St, Richfield, MN 55423
Open June 10-Aug 21, 2022. Admission $8-$10/pp.
- TOT TIME – Ages 7 & under. Mon-Sat, 10-11am.
Shakopee parks – summer events
Shakopee community parks
- HUBER PARK PERFORMANCE & EVENT SERIES – Family entertainment on the riverfront. Wednesdays, May 27-Aug 25, 2022, 7pm. Fillmore St N, Shakopee, MN 55379.
- POP-UP SPLASH PADS – Free and presented by Shakopee Fire Department. Plus, free hot dogs, chips and water. Fridays, July 8 & 29, Aug 19, 5-7pm. Please see PDF link for park locations.
- SHAKOPEE SUMMER CARNIVAL: Games, prizes and treats for kids ages 3-10. Lions Park. Aug 5, 2022. 10am, $5/admission.
Shakopee summer festivals
1103 Adams Street, Shakopee MN.
Starts at SHAKOPEE LIONS PARK shelter. July 1, 2022, 10:30am.
Shakopee swimming & beaches
1101 Adams St S, Shakopee, MN 55379
A hybrid between a pool and a beach, SandVenture Aquatic Park is chlorinated but surrounded by sand for a beach-going experience. The park is home to two 12-drop slides and a 300-foot waterslide. Opens June 10, 2022. Admission is $3-$7/pp.
- PARENTS DAY – Parents admitted free with paid child. June 19 2022.
- FRIDAY FAMILY BEACH BASH – June 24, 2022, 4-8pm.
- PIRATE TREASURE HUNT – Activities like a treasure dig and magic shows. July 23, 2022.
Shakopee Splash Pad
st louis park
St Louis Park parks – summer events
St Louis Park community parks
- KIDS SUMMER CONCERT SERIES – Wednesdays starting June 15, 2022, 10-11am. FREE. Veteran’s Memorial Amphitheater, 3700 Monterey Drive, St Louis Park MN.
4900 MN-7, St Louis Park, MN 55416
Skaters can take advantage of a plaza-style skate park includes stairs, rails and a mini half-pipe.
St Louis Park Nature Play
8300 W Franklin Ave, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Westwood Hills Nature Center is a 160-acre natural area featuring marsh, woods and restored prairie. Learn more about exploring indoors and out.
St Louis Park summer festivals
Wolfe Park, 3700 Monterey Drive St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Grand Day Parade and Kidtacular family & kids activities are free or low cost. June 16-19, 2022.
Aquila Park, 3110 Xylon Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Concessions, vendors, live music and fireworks. July 4, 2022, 7-11pm.
St Louis Park swimming
3700 Monterey Dr, St Louis Park, MN 55416
The pool features sand and water play area, tot whale slide, spray arches, geysers, an aqua obstacle course, drop slides, diving boards and sun decks. Opens June 1, 2022. Admission is $6-$15/pp.
St Louis Park splash pad
3201 Rhode Island Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
The 2,350-square-foot splash pad lets kids activate bubbling hoses, water nozzles and sprinkler arches. Admission is free for SLP residents and a buck for non.
Victoria parks – summer events
55386, 7400 Grimm Rd, Waconia, MN 55387
Sprawling on the western edge of the Twin Cities, Carver Park Reserve is home to a nature center, historic site, archery range, campgrounds, King Waterbird Sanctuary and many more recreational opportunities.
- SECOND SATURDAYS AT GRIMM FARMHOUSE – Step back in time with interpreters and old-fashioned lawn games. June 11, July 9 & Aug 13, 2022.
- LOWRY NATURE CENTER– free family programs are often offered and it’s always free to explore the nature-themed playground. 7025 Victoria Dr, Victoria, MN 55386.
- VICTORIA CONCERTS IN THE PARK – Wednesdays, June 8-Aug 10, 2022. 6-8pm. Charlson Thun Community Bandstand, 1730 Stieger Lake Lane, Victoria, MN 55386.
- LUNCH TIME TUNES – kids will enjoy these during the daytime. June 22 & July 20, 2022. Noon.
Victoria nature playground
7025 Victoria Dr, Victoria, MN 55386
Nature Exploration Area: There are two playgrounds to explore here. The first is entirely man-made, following a “habitat” theme and prompting kids to learn about the park environment. You can climb to an osprey’s nest, peek into a “beaver dam”, tunnel like a mole and more. The second playground is a rough collection of stumps, fallen trunks, and club-sized sticks.
Victoria community entertainment
- POP UP SPLASH PAD – July 27, 2022. 1-2pm. Victoria Recreation Ctr, 8475 Kochia Lane, Victoria, MN 55386.
- TRUCK RODEO – Get up close to big rigs and a helicopter. July 21, 2022, 6-8pm.
Victoria summer library events
The VICTORIA LIBRARY is a branch of the Carver County Library system, located on the first floor of Victoria City Hall. The City of Victoria’s summer catalog (PDF) lists all of the special summer events hosted by the Victoria Library, including storytimes, StoryWalks and live entertainment.
Summer reading program: Oceans of Possibility 2022.