Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of Aug 20-21, 2022. Find our most recent guide here.
Need more inspiration? You can always consult our AUGUST FAMILY GUIDE, our 2022 ULTIMATE TWIN CITIES SUMMER FUN GUIDE or our fully-stocked FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for more last-chance summer fun ideas on what to do this weekend in the Twin Cities with your kids!
Looking for ideas on what to do with your kids in the Twin Cities during the long summer days? Definitely jump over to our TWIN CITIES GUIDE TO FAMILY ACTIVITIES THIS WEEK for lots of inspiration.
TWIN CITIES FESTIVALS THIS WEEKEND FOR THE FAMILY
LINO Lakes: Blue Heron Days
Includes a free movie on Friday, the Blue Heron Days Parade on Saturday and the WALDOCH FARM corn feed on Sunday (more below). August 18-21, 2022.
Mounds View: Festival in the Park
Parade, family fun fair, car show, music, and fireworks in SILVER VIEW PARK. 11am-Dusk. Aug 19-20, 2022.
North Hudson: Pepper Fest
Rides, games, Grand Parade. $4-$5/button for events. Aug 19-21, 2022.
Shakopee: Mdewakanton Sioux Community Wacipi
The public is invited to attend a free family-friendly Pow Wow that features hundreds of Native American dancers and drum groups, Native American crafts and foods, as well as fireworks. Aug 19-21, 2022.
Kids activities, carnival, parade & fireworks in OJIBWAY PARK. Buttons required for many events. Aug 19-21, 2022.
fun outdoor activities in the parks this weekend
How to narrow down all this summertime family fun?
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the Twin Cities. You can get the full schedule on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend.
- FIND COMMUNITY FAMILY EVENTS IN THE TWIN CITIES NORTHWEST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE NORTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHWEST METRO
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
This beautiful park sprawls across almost 5,000 acres, passes through three northwest Twin Cities communities and is the largest in the Three Rivers Park District system. There is so much to do at ELM CREEK PARK RESERVE that you’d be hard-pressed to fit it into one day! If you’re interested in the highlights, here’s what we recommend trying:
- Your kids will go crazy for the giant, rainbow-hued ELM CREEK PLAY AREA (pictured). Great for all abilities!
- Spend a summer afternoon swimming at the chlorinated, sandy ELM CREEK SWIM POND ($5/pp).
- Explore the EASTMAN NATURE CENTER – filled with indoor exhibits and live animals, then head outdoors to find a boardwalk, trails and a sweet little nature playground. Check out free nature exploration materials at the front desk.
Want to explore more nature centers? Check out the links on our big list of Twin Cities nature & interpretive centers for all the details.
- Feeling sporty? Elm Creek has an archery range (BYO equipment) & a disc golf course. $6/day pass.
- Ride the bike trails. They’re very smooth and fairly level with some rolling areas. The park is huge and a little tricky to navigate; study the map well before you ride.
ELM CREEK PARK RESERVE is just one on our list of THE 10 BEST PARKS IN MAPLE GROVE, MINNESOTA!
Featured Twin Cities Park Events this weekend
The festival and lantern release take place in COMO PARK ZOO & CONSERVATORY’S JAPANESE GARDEN. Tickets are sold in advance only. $5/pp. August 21, 2022.
GALE WOODS FARM invites you and your kids to visit the animals and explore the barn, gardens, greenhouses and pastures. Reservations required. Aug 20, 9:30am-12pm, $5/pp.
401 E 104th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
Hands-on living history programs fun and free of charge located in POND DAKOTA MISSION PARK in Bloomington. New themes each Saturday. Drop in Aug 20 from 1-4pm.
Weekend Movies in the Parks (Fri, Aug 19 & Sat, Aug 20)
- ANDREWS PARK, CHAMPLIN: Sing 2, August 19, 2022, dusk.
- BASS CREEK PARK, BROOKLYN PARK: Soul, August 19, 2022, dusk.
- COMO EAST PICNIC PAVILION: Harry Potter & the Sorcerers Stone. Fun, Potter-themed activities begin at 6pm. August 19, 2022.
- ROSEMOUNT MOVIE IN THE PARK: The Sandlot, August 20, 2022, at dusk.
- STARING LAKE AMPHITHEATER, EDEN PRAIRIE: Back to the Future, August 19, 2022, 9pm.
Cool off this weekend in the twin cities (some last chances!)
We don’t want to be the ones to make the call that swimming season is over in Minnesota so we’ll let these beaches & pools do that instead. It’s LAST CHANCE WEEKEND for the following:
- BATTLE CREEK WATERWORKS, MAPLEWOOD
- CRYSTAL COVE AQUATIC CENTER
- EDINA AQUATIC CENTER
- RICHFIELD OUTDOOR POOL
- SANDVENTURE AQUATIC PARK (SHAKOPEE)
- SHADY OAK BEACH (MINNETONKA)
- ST LOUIS PARK AQUATIC CENTER
However, there are still plenty of splash spots open for a few more weeks (especially beaches – typically through Labor Day) so go ahead and browse the finds in our complete TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE BEST BEACHES, POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS or continue for more ideas:
- We include our family favorites in our list of 20+ BEACHES, PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS TO TRY THIS SUMMER. Each week we’re excited to share a new beach one of our FFTC families has discovered – this weekend we’re highlighting SHADY OAK BEACH because we’ve reached its final operating weekend. Unique reasons to visit include a floating dock with high-dive out in the lake and a fun sand-and-water play area on the shore.
- Swimming pools are always a hit for their slides and fun features. This week we’re featuring GROVE COVE, the pool at MAPLE GROVE COMMUNITY CENTER. Here you have the choice of swimming both indoors & out! Combine your trip to the pool with a visit to the jungle-themed MAPLE MAZE INDOOR PLAYGROUND, also within the community center.
- Don’t forget that splash pads are a perfect place to cool off without the full commitment and cost of a day at the pool. This week we highlight the splash pad at ANDREWS PARK in Champlin. This one’s a big winner because it pairs the splash pad with a big playground and a pirate ship!
more ideas for things to do this weekend in the twin cities with kids
Try a family-friendly museum!
193 Pennsylvania Ave E, St Paul, MN 55130
Our kids have loved climbing aboard the rail cars and tinkering with exhibits. And weekends include a ride on the caboose. Located near downtown St Paul. Family passes are available for $30. August 20, 2022. 10am-4pm.
Landmark Center, 75 5th St E, St Paul, MN 55102
Experiment with dozens of instruments from around the world. Get your hands on keyboards, drums and other interactive exhibits. We visited the newly remodeled space last summer and really enjoyed it. Free activities, snacks and prizes in the gallery every Saturday. August 20, 2022, 10am-2pm. Admission is always FREE!
Always free to visit weekends: