Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of Aug 21-22, 2021. To find our most recent guide, click here.
Need more inspiration? You can always consult our AUGUST FAMILY GUIDE or our fully-stocked FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for more last-chance summer fun ideas on what to do this weekend in the Twin Cities with your kids!
Family Festivals this weekend in the twin cities
Lino Lakes: Community Fest
Includes the Blue Heron Days Parade on Aug 21.
Mounds View: Festival in the Park
Parade, family fun fair, car show, music, and fireworks in SILVER VIEW PARK. 11am-Dusk. Aug 20-21.
North Hudson: Pepper Fest
Rides, games, Grand Parade. $4-$5/button for events. Aug 21-22.
Shakopee: Mdewakanton Sioux Community Wacipi
The public is invited to attend a free family-friendly Pow Wow that features hundreds of Native American dancers and drum groups, Native American crafts and foods, as well as fireworks. Aug 20-22.
St Paul: Food Truck Festival
Music, games & giveaways in MEARS PARK. Noon-10pm, FREE admission, food available to purchase. Aug 21.
Woodbury: Woodbury Days
Kids activities, carnival, parade & fireworks in OJIBWAY PARK. Buttons required for many events. Aug 20-22.
fun outdoor activities in the parks this weekend
How to sort out all this summertime family fun?
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the incredible Twin Cities park systems. You can get more ideas on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend in the parks.
- FIND COMMUNITY FAMILY EVENTS IN THE TWIN CITIES NORTHWEST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE NORTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHWEST METRO
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
This beautiful park sprawls across almost 5,000 acres, passes through three northwest Twin Cities communities and is the largest in the Three Rivers Park District system. There is so much to do at ELM CREEK PARK RESERVE that you’d be hard-pressed to fit it into one day! If you’re interested in the highlights, here’s what we recommend trying:
- Your kids will go crazy for the giant, rainbow-hued ELM CREEK PLAY AREA (pictured). Great for all abilities!
- Spend a summer afternoon swimming at the chlorinated, sandy ELM CREEK SWIM POND ($5/pp).
- Explore the EASTMAN NATURE CENTER – filled with indoor exhibits and live animals, then head outdoors to find a boardwalk, trails and a sweet little nature playground. Check out free nature exploration materials at the front desk. Each Sunday the free Nature Centers Without Walls program offers activities like animal interactions, outdoor displays, and nature challenges. Aug 22, 1-3pm.
Want to explore more nature centers? Check out the links on our big list of Twin Cities nature & interpretive centers for all the details.
- Feeling sporty? Elm Creek has an archery range (BYO equipment) & a disc golf course. $6/day pass.
- Ride the bike trails. They’re very smooth and fairly level with some rolling areas. The park is huge and a little tricky to navigate; study the map well before you ride.
ELM CREEK PARK RESERVE is just one on our list of THE 10 BEST PARKS IN MAPLE GROVE, MINNESOTA!
Featured Twin Cities Park Events this weekend
GALE WOODS FARM invites you and your kids to visit the animals and explore the barn, gardens, greenhouses and pastures. Reservations required. Aug 21, 9am-12pm, $5/pp.
The band is performing at 4pm in Stillwater’s sweet TEDDY BEAR PARK as part of the city’s Books to Bridges program (free books and giant teddies!) Event begins at 3pm. Aug 22.
While in Stillwater, make sure to stop by LOWELL PARK downtown, take a stroll across the Lift Bridge and boat watch. It’s always exciting to watch it lift!
Explore seasonal themes through self-directed scavenger hunts, nature walks, and interactive skills development such as bird watching or animal tracking. Pre-registr
Pond Dakota Mission Park: Mystery House Tours
Hands-on living history programs fun and free of charge located in POND DAKOTA MISSION PARK in Bloomington. New themes each Saturday. Drop in Aug 21 from 1-4pm.
Learn about life on an 1870s farm. Meet live animals and try hands-on, free family-friendly activities. Located at CARVER PARK RESERVE in Victoria. Aug 21, 1:30-4pm.
Weekend Movies & Music in the Parks
- CHANHASSEN CITY CENTER PARK: Stevie Ray’s Improv in the Park, Aug 22, 7pm.
- EAGAN CENTRAL PARK: The Croods, Aug 21, 7:30pm.
- RICHFIELD VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK: Kidsdance DJ, Aug 22, 10am.
Cool off this weekend in the twin cities (some last chances!)
We don’t want to be the ones to make the call that swimming season is over in Minnesota so we’ll let these beaches & pools do that instead. It’s LAST CHANCE WEEKEND for the following:
- BATTLE CREEK WATERWORKS (MAPLEWOOD)
- CRYSTAL COVE AQUATIC CENTER
- EDINA AQUATIC CENTER
- RICHFIELD OUTDOOR POOL
- SANDVENTURE AQUATIC PARK (SHAKOPEE)
- SHADY OAK BEACH (MINNETONKA)
- ST LOUIS PARK AQUATIC CENTER
However, there are still plenty of splash spots open for a few more weeks (especially beaches – typically through Labor Day) so go ahead and browse the finds in our complete TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE BEST BEACHES, POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS or continue for more ideas:
- We include our family favorites in our list of 20+ BEACHES, PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS TO TRY THIS SUMMER. Each week we’re excited to share a new beach one of our FFTC families has discovered – this weekend we’re highlighting SHADY OAK BEACH because we’ve reached its final operating weekend. Unique reasons to visit include a floating dock with high-dive out in the lake and a fun sand-and-water play area on the shore.
- Swimming pools are always a hit for their slides and fun features. This week we’re featuring GROVE COVE, the pool at MAPLE GROVE COMMUNITY CENTER. Here you have the choice of swimming both indoors & out! Combine your trip to the pool with a visit to the jungle-themed MAPLE MAZE INDOOR PLAYGROUND, also within the community center.
- Don’t forget that splash pads are a perfect place to cool off without the full commitment and cost of a day at the pool. This week we highlight the splash pad at ANDREWS PARK in Champlin. This one’s a big winner because it pairs the splash pad with a big playground and a pirate ship!
more ideas for things to do this weekend in the twin cities with kids
Try a family-friendly museum!
Along with all the fun of visiting the interactive train museum, come see classic firetrucks, police cars and other response vehicles. Our kids have loved climbing aboard the rail cars and tinkering with exhibits. Located near downtown St Paul. Family passes are available for $30. Aug 21 only, 12-4pm.
You don’t need to take a formal tour to enjoy the outdoor GAMMELGARDEN MUSEUM in Scandia (but they’re available if you’d like, free for kids). Instead, roam the grounds and see how many colorful Dala horses your kids can find. Enjoy the music and free lemonade! Aug 22, 2-4pm.
Always free to visit weekends: