June explodes with FREE family events that bring on summer: outdoor concerts and movies, the opening of beaches, outdoor pools and splash pads, entertainment in the park and much more. And, in order to better serve our readers, we’ve organized our usual roundup of activities by regions of the Twin Cities Metro. As always, if you don’t see a favorite event listed in YOUR hometown, please drop us a line and we’ll add it. Happy June savings from FFTC.
In case your family is needing a boost this season while you’re out and about, Free Summer Meals for Kids are offered at more public venues than you would imagine – parks, libraries, elementary schools, churches and many more. There is no income level requirement to participate.
Como Park Zoo & Conservatory | St Paul | Daily, spring/summer hours 10am-4pm | Suggested donation of $2/child & $3/adult, but all are welcome whether or not you choose to donate.
Minneapolis Institute of Arts | Minneapolis | Daily, 11am-5pm
Starts 5/16/19: St Paul Music in the Parks | Daily, parks vary
Saturday Live! | George Latimer Central Library, St Paul | Ongoing Saturdays, 11:15am | Fresh entertainment each week including live music, puppetry, magicians and more.
Wee Wednesdays | Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis | Ongoing Wednesdays, 10:30am – 1pm | In the past, MGM has offered dance troupes, cooking lessons, and live animals to entertain kids. Park in the adjacent Midtown Exchange Ramp up to 1.5 hrs. free with validation.
Lil Explorer Thursdays | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, St. Paul | Ongoing Thursdays, 10am-noon | The hall between the Visitor Center and the Conservatory is filled with hands-on activities, manipulatives, art projects and games perfect for the 4 & under set. Explore a different theme each week.
Starts Memorial Day Weekend: Minneapolis Music in the Parks | Nightly; park vary
Starts 6/1/19: Go Outside with Hennepin County | Hennpin County Government Center South Plaza, Minneapolis & Target Field Station | A farmers market, outdoor movies, trivia and food trucks encourage families to get outdoors and explore the city.
6/1/19: First Free Saturday: Fab Fams | Walker Art Center, Minneapolis | 10am-3pm | Activities are geared towards kids ages 6-12, but don’t let that stop you from bringing your littler ones! Free gallery admission for the whole family.
6/1/19: Home Depot Kids Workshop | TC Home Depot locations | 9am-noon | The first Saturday of each month kids get a kit to build, apron and pin while supplies last; adults must accompany children.
6/2/19: Open Streets Minneapolis | Lyndale Avenue in Uptown | 11am-5pm | Open Streets Minneapolis is a free event bringing together community groups and local businesses to temporarily close major thoroughfares to car traffic, opening them up for people walking, biking, rolling, and playing. Snapology will be at 26th and Lyndale!
Starts 6/4/19: Minneapolis Movies in the Park | Mon-Sat, movies begin 15 min. past sunset
Starts: 6/5/19: Groovin’ in the Garden | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, St Paul | Ongoing Wed in June, 6-8pm | FREE concerts, a climbing wall, bounce house, and lawn games for kids, and food available for purchase.
Starts 6/6/19: Twin Cities River Rats Ski Shows | 1758 N West River Rd, Minneapolis | Ongoing Thurs, 6:30pm.
6/8/19: Charlotte Sullivan Wild, THE AMAZING IDEA OF YOU | Red Balloon Bookshop | 10:30AM
Come to Red Balloon for a special storytime with author Charlotte Sullivan Wild to celebrate her newest book: The Amazing Idea of You! Hidden inside every living thing is an idea. That idea can sprout, sing, wriggle, take wing . . . into something amazing! Join us for a reading, Q&A, and to get your book signed!
Starts 6/13/19: St Paul Movies in the Park | Parks and times vary, check link for schedule
6/13/19: Cafesjian’s Carousel Free Day | Como Park, STP | 11am-4pm
6/16/19: Target Free 3rd Sunday | Minnesota Children’s Museum, St Paul | 9am-5pm | Explore the newly renovated and expanded museum free! Keep in mind that this program is very popular (and might be especially so on Father’s Day!) and you may wait in line to be admitted.
6/24/19: Free Ink Day | Highpoint Center for Printmaking | Noon-4pm | Drop in for summer Free Ink Day with special guest Open Eye Figure Theater. Visitors of all ages are invited to carve blocks and create prints. Learn More: Family Fun: Free Ink Day at Highpoint Center for Printmaking.
06/27/19: Greenway Glow Arts Festival | Midtown Greenway – 2834 10th Avenue South, 55407 | 6pm – Midnight | Featuring illuminated art, live performances, local food, family activities, craft beer and more! 6:00 p.m. – Midnight along the Midtown Greenway. The arts festival is FREE, but we invite you to join us for a VIP Bike Ride to raise funds for the Greenway!
Performance in the Park | Town Square & Aquatore Park | Select dates starting 6/12/19
June Free Family Fun Days | Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park | Starts 6/2/19, 1-3pm
Summer Concert Series | Coon Rapids Reg Park pavilion | Starts 6/6/19, ongoing Thursdays, 7pm
Eidem Homestead Open House | Farm tours, hayrides & old-time demos | 6/14/19 & 6/15/19, Fri 12-7pm, Sat 10-2.
Stories From the Porch | Eidem Homestead | Bring your chairs or blanket for storytime on the farm (stories read at 10:15 & 11am) followed by free play. | 6/18/19, 10am-12pm. Also held 6/25/19 from 7-8pm featuring bedtime stories.
Summer Concert Series | Coon Rapids Reg Park pavilion | Ongoing Thurs starting 6/6/19, 7pm
Springbrook Summer Concert Series | Springbrook Nature Center | 6/25/19, 7pm
Sounds of Summer | Town Green | Starts 6/10/19 and includes Kids Have Character, ongoing Thursdays and Movies at Sunset to come in July & August 2019.
Night at the Movies | Townsend Park | 6/21/19, at dusk
Splash & Play Tuesdays | Prairie Park | Starts 6/11/19, 10 am
Entertainment in the Park | Hilde Performance Center | Music and other live entertainment stars 6/13/19 with more to follow in July & August.
Silverwood OnStage | Silverwood Park | Ongoing Wednesdays starting 6/5/19, 6:30pm
NORTH ST PAUL
Music in the Parks Summer Concert Series | Casey Lake Park | 6/21/19
Live @ The Rog! Performance Series | Central Park | Ongoing Sundays starting 6/9/19
Roseville Puppet Wagon | Roseville parks | Ongoing Tues-Thurs starting 6/18/19, 9:30-11:30am
Discover Your Parks | Roseville parks | Ongoing Wednesdays starting 6/19/19, 6:30-8pm
Concerts in the Commons | Shoreview Community Center | Ongoing Wednesdays starting 6/12/19
Shoreview Puppet Wagon | Commons Park | 6/25/19, 6:30pm
Slip ‘n Slide | Commons Park | 6/21/19, 12:30-2:30pm
WHITE BEAR LAKE
Marketfest | Downtown White Bear Lake | Ongoig Thurs starting 6/13/19, 6-9pm
Music in Kelley Park | Music 6-9pm, food available for purchase, prizes and a splash pad for the kids to cool off in. Ongoing Fridays starting 6/14/19
Apple Valley Puppet Wagon | Apple Valley parks, ongoing Mon-Fri starting 6/17/19
Thursday Rockin’ Lunch Hour Concerts & Thursday Rockin’ Readers | Nicollet Commons Park | Ongoing Thursdays starting 6/6/19, stay to enjoy the landscaped splash pad!
Friday Night Flicks on the Bricks | Nicollet Commons Park | Ongoing Fridays starting 6/14/19, 7:30 seating, show at dusk
Paragon Theaters Free Summer Movies | Burnsville Odyssey | Tues-Thurs starting 6/11/19
Splash Pad Special Events | Highlands Park | Ongoing Fridays starting 6/14/19, 11am-noon
Pop-Up Splash Pad | Hamlet Park | Water games w/ the fire dept & treats | 6/20/19, 6pm
Summer Concert Series| City Hall Amphitheater | 6/20/19, 6:30pm
Forever Wild Family Friday: Pollinators | Lebanon Hills Regional Park | 6/1/19, 7-8:30pm
Eagan Puppet Wagon | Eagan parks | Ongoing Mon-Fri starting 6/17/19 | Bring a blanket for the shows, then stay after for art projects and interactive activities.
Friends & Family Fun Day | Dakota City Heritage Village
Turn-of-the-century fun with guided tours, vintage games and other interactive activities. Tours on the half hour begin at 10am through noon. 6/14/19.
INVER GROVE HEIGHTS
Terrific Tuesdays | South Valley Park | Select Tuesdays starting 6/18/19
Movies in the Park | Central Park | 6/15/19, dusk
Music in the Parks Series | Central Park | Ongoing Thursdays starting 6/13/19, 10am
Puppets in the Park | Rosemount Parks | Ongoing Fridays starting 6/21/19
Huber Park Performance & Event Series | Ongoing Thursdays starting 6/6/19, 7pm
UNIVERSE IN THE PARKS
June Universe in the Park | 8:30-10pm | See our out-of-this-world Universe in the Park article to get more details on these stargazing opportunities. $7 vehicle permit required in state parks, no fee at nature centers.
WASHINGTON COUNTY PARKS
Woodbury Puppet Wagon | Woodbury parks | Ongoing Mon-Thurs starting 6/10/19, plus, Puppet Wagon Preview Party at Kinderberry Hill, 6/5/19, with shows, crafts and popsicles.
Starlight Cinema Outdoor Movie Series | Lake Middle School | 6/13/19 & 6/27/19, Pre-show activities begin at 7pm, movie starts at dusk.
MOA Summer Toddler Tuesdays | Mall of America Rotunda | Ongoing Tuesdays, 10am – noon | Live entertainment and activities guaranteed to excite the stroller set.
June Free Family Fun Days | Richardson Nature Center | Ongoing Sundays starting 6/2/19, 3-4pm
Moonlight Movies | Red Haddox Field | Ongoing Fridays starting 6/7/19, 9pm
Arts in the Parks: Monday Morning Kids Series | Moir Park | Starts 6/10/19, 10:30am
Nature Rocks! Open House | Eden Prairie Outdoor Center | 9am-noon | Ongoing Saturdays of each month enjoy free family-friendly activities such as hiking, hands-on interaction with live animals, craft projects and more.
Eden Prairie Park Players Presents: State Fair | Staring Lake Amphitheater | 6/14/19-6/16/19 & 6/20/18-6/23/19
Kidstock | Staring Lake Amphitheater | Ongoing Tuesdays starting 6/18/19, 10:30am
Entertainment at Centennial Lakes Park | Events Sun-Thurs including movies in the park (Thursdays, dusk), live music, kids entertainment (Tuesdays, noon) and farmers markets.
Concerts in the Park | Brookview Park | Ongoing Mondays starting 6/3/19, 7pm
Music in the Park & Farmers Market | Civic Center Amphitheater | Ongoing Tuesdays starting 6/18/19, 7-8:30pm
Theater in the Park: Beauty & the Beast, Jr | Civic Center Amphitheater | 6/13/19-6/14/19
Movies in the Park | Northwood Park | 6/21/19
Kids Entertainment in the Park | Veterans Park | Ongoing Tuesdays starting 6/11/19, noon. Evening Series, ongoing Thursdays starting 6/6/19, 7pm.
Huber Park Performance & Event Series | Ongoing Wednesdays starting 5/30/19
ST LOUIS PARK
Kids Summer Concert Series | Veterans Memorial Park | 6/26/29, 10am
Grimm Farmhouse Open House | Carver Park Reserve | Step back in time with interpreters and old-fashioned lawn games | Ongoing Sat starting 6/1/19, 1-4pm
- 5/31/19-6/1/19: Flint Hills Family Festival | Downtown St Paul
- 5/31/19-6/2/19: Edina Art Fair | 50th & France, Edina
- 6/1/19: Art in the Hollow | Swede Hollow Park, St Paul
- 6/1/19: Waterfest | Phalen Regional Park, St Paul
- 6/1/19: Saint Anthony Park Arts Festival | Como and Carter Avenues, St Paul
- 6/1/19-6/8/19: I Love Burnsville Week
- 6/1/19: Grand Old Day | Grand Ave, St Paul
- 6/2/19: Rhubarb Fest | New Brighton History Center Museum, New Brighton
- 6/2/19: Open Streets Lyndale | Minneapolis, 11 AM – 5 PM
- 6/5/19-6/9/19: Albertville Friendly City Days | Albertville
- 6/6/19-6/9/19: Spring Lake Park Tower Days | Spring Lake Park
- 6/6/19-6/9/19: Hugo Good Neighbor Days | Hugo
- 6/8/19: Johnstock | Johnson St NE, Minneapolis
- 6/8/19-6/9/19: Art on the Lake | Excelsior
- 6/8/19-6/9/19: Deutsche Tage | Germanic-American Institute, St Paul
- 6/8/19-6/9/19: Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes | Maple Grove
- 6/9/19-6/16/19: Buffalo Days | Buffalo
- TBA: Minnesota Festival of Jazz on the Prairie | Staring Lake Park, Eden Prairie (6/10/18)
- 6/11/19-6/15/19: Farmington Dew Days | Farmington
- 6/12/19-6/15/19: Faribault Heritage Celebration | Faribault
- 6/12/19-6/16/19: St. Louis Park Parktacular | St Louis Park
- 6/13/19-6/14/19: Fridley ’49er Days | Commons Park, Fridley
- 6/13/19-6/15/19: Tater Daze Festival | Brooklyn Park
- 6/13/19-6/14/19: Cottage Grove Strawberry Fest | Kingston Park, Cottage Grove
- 6/13/19-7/4/19: Manitou Days | White Bear Lake
- 6/14/19-6/15/19: Northern Spark | Minneapolis
- 6/14/19-6/16/19: Stone Arch Bridge Festival | Minneapolis
- 6/15/19: Midsommar Celebration | American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis
- 6/20/19-6/22/19: Earle Brown Days Festival | Brooklyn Center
- 6/27/19-6/30/19: Columbia Heights Lions Jamboree | Huset Park, Columbia Heights
- 6/20/19-6/22/19: Twin Cities Jazz Festival | St. Paul
- 6/20/19-6/23/19: Oakdale Summerfest | Walton Park, Oakdale
- 6/22/19: Minnetonka Summer Festival | Civic Center Campus
- 6/22/19-6/23/19: Afton Strawberry Festival | Afton
- 6/23/19: Scandinavian Summer Fest | Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis
- 6/29/19-6/30/19: Eagan Art Festival | Eagan
- 6/24/19-7/4/19: Rosefest | Roseville
- 6/27/19-7/4/19: Apple Valley Freedom Days | Apple Valley
- 6/28/19-6/30/19: Kaposia Days | South St Paul
- 6/28/19-6/30/19: Blaine Festival | Aquatore Park, Blaine
- 6/29/18-7/3/18: Hudson Booster Days | Lakefront Park, Hudson WI
You don’t have to look far to find a free spot to take a dip in the Twin Cities. Starting early June, the following beaches beckon to little swimmers and charge no vehicle fee or admission:
- Dakota County beaches – 2 locations, no vehicle permit required
- Three Rivers Park District Beaches – 7 unguarded locations
- Minneapolis swimming beaches – 8 locations, 2 with lifeguards
- Ramsey County swimming beach – lifeguards on duty at 5 locations
- Webber Natural Swimming Pool – Minneapolis | Water treated with plants instead of chemicals.
Minneapolis Wading Pools are perfect for the splash set and those just learning to swim. Pools attached to a city public school building will open June 8, all others open Memorial Day Weekend.
2019 SUMMER LIBRARY READING PROGRAMS & SUMMER LIBRARY EVENTS
Unlike school, there is no “summer break” at your local library! Dozens of branches across the seven-county library system are rolling out even more activities, entertainment and reading incentives during the summer months. Nearly every day of the week you can find programming for kids, tweens and teens: outdoor StoryWalks, STEM workshops, storytimes, crafting, magic shows, mini-camps and more. Find your local branches and full summer schedules below:
- Anoka County Library | Summer Adventures – kickoff parties begin June 4, 2019
- Carver County Library | Libraries Rock Summer Reading – starts June 1, 2019
- Dakota County Library | Summer Discovery – begins June 5, 2019
- Hennepin County Library | Summer Learning here
- Ramsey County Library | Summer Learning Program – begins June 1, 2019
- Scott County Library | Summer Spotlight – events begin June 8, 2019
- St Paul Public Library | Summer Spark – events begin June 1, 2019
- Washington County Library | Kids Summer Reading