Silverwood Park is a favorite of the FFTC Staff. The coffee shop is a great place to have adult conversations with kids in tow. There are games and coloring materials available for the kids and art on display everywhere. The atmosphere is relaxing. Silverwood strives to be a zero-waste park, so you can be confident that your coffee cups and utensils are all compostable. The park hosts a number of family-friendly events throughout the year, including monthly naturalist visits and puppet shows and the annual Silverwood Egg Hunt.
Silverwood Park Indoors
Besides the coffee shop and galleries, Silverwood offers year round kids and family activities and art classes. Some have a fee, some are free. Some are combined with the outdoor hikes. Catch a naturalist puppet show in the coffee shop once a month.
Silverwood Park Outdoors
Outside, Silverwood offers a combination of natural space and art for independent exploration.
Use your cell phone for these self-guided tours:
Stop at each station, scan a QR Code on each sign to read or hear about the stop, or view ahead of your visit on the links below:
- Natural History Tour includes 8 stations, each highlighting a difference aspect of the park, such as topography, geology, plant and animal species and the historical use of the site.
- Art on Foot Poetry Trail Tour
- Sculpture Tour
- The Art of Shinrin-Yoku Forest Bathing Trail includes a series of original artist-designed illustrations and text developed specially for the site, informing visitors of the health benefits of nature and guiding them through this wellness practice.
If you prefer guided exploration, there are regular free artist and naturalist led hikes. They also host special events, such as the popular spring egg hunt.
Silverwood Park On Stage
Silverwood On Stage is a lineup of local and emerging artists with entertainment for the whole family all summer. Some of our favorites have been Shakespeare in the Park and local musicians from around the Twin Cities. You can find this year's full line up here.
Artist-Led Birthday Parties at Silverwood Park
Silverwood offers "Art-tastic" birthday parties with a choice of art-inspired themes. Each party is two ours and geared toward ages 4+. A professional art educator leads the first hour, but the second half is open-ended.
Parties include up 15 participants, use of a room, tables and a sink. You bring your own refreshments and supplies*. Additional children cost extra, and there is a maximum of 20 children per party. Parties can be scheduled on Sundays 1:00-3:00 PM or Tuesdays 5:00-7:00 PM.
DIY Birthday Parties at Silverwood Park
Silverwood offers two affordable rental options for DIY birthday parties.
- The Classroom rental fee is $150 for 4 hours and than an additional $30 per additional hour. It offers a view of Silver Lake, seating for up to 32, Wi-Fi, a white board (for games?), and restrooms. The classroom is available year round, but check the website for availability.
- The Island Shelter is available May through October from 10:00 a.m. to sunset. An all-day rental is $175.00. The shelter includes six picnic tables for seating up to 50, a portable grill, use of the fire pit, and one firewood. Additional firewood can be purchased from Silverwood.
*One thing families should keep in mind when booking Silverwood (for either type of party) is that their zero-waste policy extends to guests. You may not bring in disposable dishes and utensils unless they are compostable. So you will need to plan accordingly.