Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This July Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of July 9-10 2022. To find our most recent guide, click here.
As always, you can check our JULY FAMILY GUIDE, our 2022 ULTIMATE TWIN CITIES SUMMER FUN GUIDE or our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for more fun ideas on what to do this weekend in the Twin Cities with your kids!
Twin CIties festivals this weekend for the family
ANDOVER: FAMILY FUN FEST
At this Twin Cities summer festival, look for family entertainment including magic & juggling shows, a street dance & fireworks. July 8-9, 2022.
Sidewalk chalk and rock painting for kids along with a huge craft marketplace and food vendors. July 9, 2022.
Lakeville: PAN-O-PROG SUMMER FESTIVAL
Family Fun Fair & Carnival all weekend, plus two parades on Saturday, including one for kids to participate in. July 9-10, 2022.
LINDSTROM: KARL OSKAR DAYS
Celebrate Swedish heritage with a Kids Zone in Beach Park, live music, a parade, craft fair and fireworks. All weekend, July 8-10, 2022.
MINNEAPOLIS: OPEN STREETS – FRANKLIN
Portland Ave S to 26th Ave S
The streets are closed to cars so pedestrians can explore businesses along the festival route. Many will have family-friendly activities to draw visitors in. July 10, 2022.
ROBBINSDALE: WHIZ BANG DAYS
Live music, a parade & fireworks this weekend. July 9-10, 2022.
Get planning for more Twin Cities community festival fun through July!
fun outdoor activities this weekend in twin cities parks
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the incredible Twin Cities park systems. You can get more ideas on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend in parks across the Minneapolis-St Paul metro.
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
Summers in Minnesota just beg for a picnic – meals outdoors on blankets with the early evening sun still streaming down and juicy summer fruits packed in the cooler. All of the picnic sites featured on our list of 10 PLACES FOR THE PERFECT PICNIC IN MINNEAPOLIS are located within lovely Minneapolis parks. Get inspired for picnic sites and picnic foods at the link.
FEATURED TWIN CITIES PARK EVENTS THIS WEEKEND
Saturday Mornings on Gale Woods Farm
7210 County Rd 110 W, Minnetrista, MN 55364
GALE WOODS FARM invites you and your kids to visit the animals and explore the barn, gardens, greenhouses and pastures. Drop in between 9:30am-noon. July 9, 2022, $5/pp.
Village Sampler Guided Tour
THE LANDING, a re-created historical village in Shakopee, is offering guideded tour inside several of the park’s historic homes to explore what life was like in a Minnesota River town of the late 1800s. July 9, 2022, $5/pp. Times between 10-11am & 3-4pm.
While you’re down in Shakopee, arm yourselves to explore more family fun with our list of the 10 BEST PARKS IN SHAKOPEE, MINNESOTA!
Second Saturdays at Grimm Farm
7720 Grimm Road, Victoria MN 55386
Step back in time with interpreters and old-fashioned lawn games. Plus, lots more outdoor exploration to do at CARVER PARK RESERVE, including the LOWRY NATURE CENTER. July 9, 2022, 1:30-4pm.
More fun at Lowry Nature Center this weekend: Universe in the Park
The program starts with a 20-30 minute presentation at 8:30 p.m. and then, weather permitting, an opportunity to view the sky through telescopes until 10 or 11 p.m. Participants can learn how to use a star map and go home with a free one.
Puppet Adventures & Let’s Get StARTed
Silverwood Park, 2500 County Rd E, St Anthony, MN 55421
Take in a puppet show followed by make-and-take nature-inspired art. July 10, 2022, 1-3pm.
Try visiting a new park or nature center!
Check out the links on our big list of Twin Cities nature & interpretive centers. Did you know that several of these nature centers have natural playgrounds nestled within them? You can build with natural materials, climb, balance, even wade and garden at some of the more elaborate spaces. This weekend’s featured photo comes from the nature play area at PATRICK EAGAN PARK. It has natural elements for unstructured play and some surprises – like an exciting zip line! We include this park in our list of the BEST PARKS IN EAGAN, MINNESOTA TO TRY THIS SUMMER.
Find our list of the best Twin Cities Nature Playgrounds.
Cool off this weekend in the twin cities
Find a new favorite splash spot by jumping over to our complete TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE BEST BEACHES, POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS or continue for a few ideas:
- Minneapolis wading pools are fun, free and some are splashy and elaborate. Find our complete list at the link.
- We include our family favorites in our list of 20+ BEACHES, PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS TO TRY THIS SUMMER. We discovered the terrific WIRTH LAKE BEACH in Minneapolis last summer!
- Swimming pools are always a hit for their slides and fun features. Have you tried COMO REGIONAL PARK POOL in St Paul yet? There’s a great splashy area for toddlers, a lazy river, climbing plunge and an exciting zip line!
- Don’t forget that splash pads are a perfect place to cool off without the full investment of a day at the pool. This week we highlight the splash pad at HUSET PARK WEST in Columbia Heights. Scoot through the spraying hoops and watch out for the dump buckets (or don’t!) A playground and picnic shelter are located conveniently nearby. Get our huge list of the best 35 Splash Pads & Wading Pools in the Twin Cities!
Many outdoor pools in the Twin Cities offer special tot swim hours so littler ones can get some splash time in before the big kids arrive. You can find these tot swims at the following pools this weekend:
SATURDAY TOT SWIMS
- CASCADE BAY: Little Mates Tot Swim – select areas of the waterpark open from 9:30-10:30am. $6/child, one adult free. 1360 Civic Center Drive, Eagan, MN 55122.
- CRYSTAL COVE: Little Splashers Pool Time is for kids ages 7 & under to enjoy the zero-depth entry pool. 10-11:30am, $3/child, adults free. 4848 Douglas Dr N, Crystal, MN 55429.
- HIGHLAND PARK AQUATIC CENTER: Tot time for kids 6 & under. 9:30-11am. $4/pp children and adults. 1840 Edgcumbe Rd, St Paul, MN 55116.
- RICHFIELD OUTDOOR POOL: Kids ages 7 & under get the zero-depth-entr
y wading pool and water play equipment to themselves. 10-11am, $9/kids, $11/adults. 630 East 66th Street, Richfield, MN 55423.
SUNDAY TOT SWIMS
- CASCADE BAY – Little Mates Tot Swim (see above)
- COMO REGIONAL PARK POOL: Tot Time swim is for kids ages 6 & under. 9:30-11am. $4/children and adults. 1151 Wynne Ave Saint Paul, MN 55108.
Find Our Complete List of Tot Swims, including many that offer cheaper rates for this limited swim time.
MORE IDEAS FOR THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN THE TWIN CITIES
Story Theatre with Children’s Theatre Company
Peavey Plaza, 1101 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Bring your little ones on a trip downtown to explore storybooks through imaginative play and music with the Children’s Theatre Company every Saturday this summer. July 9, 2022. Session
Explore More Kid-Friendly Fun in Downtown Minneapolis.
More fun ideas for this weekend
PLAY A ROUND OF MINI GOLF ACROSS THE TWIN CITIES
Choose from 14 fun outdoor courses in our guide to the best MINI GOLF IN THE TWIN CITIES. Featured for you this weekend is the amazing and whimsical BIG STONE MINI GOLF & SCULPTURE PARK in Minnetrista. Each hole is a work of art!
Always free to visit weekends: