Here we are in November. November Family Holidays include National Novel Writing Month, National Life Writing Month, Picture Book Month and National Family Literacy Month. The third week is both National Young Readers Week and National Book Award Week. So we’re going to see a LOT of book holidays this month. I can’t think of a better way to spend a crisp November afternoon than curled up with a book. By the end of the month, we’ll be busy with Thanksgiving and then pre-Christmas fun. Let’s go do fun stuff with our families!
Sunday, November 1, 2020
National Authors Day
National Family Literacy Day
At Home Family Fun:
- Do you have a favorite Minnesota Author? If not, peruse our Bookhounds Author Directory and pick one.
- Gianna’s family started up a pen pal relationship with their favorite author. You may not get to be pen pals, but it couldn’t hurt to write them a letter.
- Become an author today. Staple some paper together (or get fancy and buy a blank book) to write and illustrate your own story.
- All 8 Metro Library Systems have re-opened for grab and go services. If you are ready to start getting back into the library habit, the libraries are ready for you, Note, though, that Hennepin County Library and Ramsey County Library are the only systems with bruances that offer Sunday hours.
- OR Storybooks by the Bonfire at Eastman Nature Center.
- What Do Authors and Illustrators Do? by Eileen Christelow
- You could also just pick a book combo from Bookflix. All the combos offer author information and literacy games after you read the books.
Today is also National Eat Healthy Day and the first day of Eat Smart Month. Since it is Sunday, let’s try out this kid-friendly, heart healthy Slow Cooker Greek Chicken with Lemon Potatoes from the Heart Association. Hold onto the leftovers and make some broth with the bones, we’re going to use both tomorrow (and if your family is small enough, Tuesday)!
Dinner Conversation Starter: What kind of book would you like to write someday?
Bonus November 1 Holiday
Celebrate Daylight Savings – Fall Back and change your smoke alarm batteries.
Find A Holiday for Each Day of the 30 Days of November on the corresponding pages.
(and leave us a comment to tell us what you think of this format. We’re trying to make navigation easier):