October is Fire Prevention Month. More specifically, October 6th through 12th is Fire Prevention week in 2019. This year’s theme is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!”.
What a great month to indulge your future firefighter’s love of big red engines, and the Twin Cities has some opportunities for you to do that. There are actually two fire-related museums in Minnesota and several stations offers open houses during the month. Libraries are even getting into the act with story times starting in September.
This article contains some Amazon affiliate links. Family Fun Twin Cities receives a small commission on sales through our site.
Museums Visit for Fire Prevention Month
- Firefighters Hall and Museum • Located in Northeast Minneapolis near Edison High School, this small interactive museum offers kids a chance to climb on fire engines and try on firefighter gear.
- Hinckley Fire Museum, Minnesota • Located a little over an hour north of the Twin Cities, this museum memorializes the 1894 Hinckley Fire.
Fire Station Open Houses in October
- 10/5/19 • 1pm-4pm • St. Anthony Village Fire Department Open House • 6250 Tracy Ave
- 10/7/19 • 5pm-8pm • Shakopee Fire Department Open House • Fire Station 1, 2700 Vierling Drive E.
- 10/12/19 • 11am-2pm • Eden Prairie City-Wide Open House • Fire Station #1, 8080 Mitchell Road. Have your kids fill out this Safety Commitment form to earn a superhero cape.
- 10/12/19 • 10am-2pm • Buffalo Fire Department Open House, 212 Central Ave
- 10/12/19 • 10am-2pm • Hopkins Fire Department Open House • 101 17th Avenue S.
- 10/12/19 • 10am-2pm • Saint Paul Fire Station #22, 225 Front Ave
- 10/12/19 • 9am-11am • Woodbury Fire Station Fire Prevention Week Open House | Fox Run Fire Station, 1275 Woodbury Drive.
- TBA • 5pm-8pm • Minnetonka City and Fire Department Open House • Civic Center Campus, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd.
Also check out our Touch-A-Truck Calendar.
- Amazon link
Fire Station Tours Anytime
Many Fire Stations offer tours by appointment. If you don’t see your local station on this list, you can all their non-emergency number to inquire about tours.
- Saint Paul • To schedule a free tour, choose a fire station from this list, call the Fire Captain of the station to arrange a tour time.
- Minnetonka • Tours can be scheduled through the public education specialists by calling 952.939.8331.
- Inver Grove Heights • Call the Fire Operations Supervisor at 651-450-4303 to book a 30-45 minute tour.
- St. Louis Park • Offers tours by appointment by calling 952-924-2595.
Story Time With Firefighters
Ramsey County Library is hosting Fire Department Storytimes featuring local fire departments on the following dates:
- Monday, September 23, 2019, 6:30pm • Roseville Library
- Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 10:30am • Roseville Library
- Friday, September 27, 2019, 10:30am • White Bear Lake Library
- Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:30 a.m. • Shoreview Library
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 6:00pm. • Shoreview Library
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:30 a.m. • North St. Paul
Dakota County patrons also have an option:
- Thursday, October 10, 2019, 10:30 a.m. • Farmington Library • Story Time with a Firefighter
Fire Prevention Month Activities at Home
- Check Off A Safety List: This is a good month to review the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Winter Safety Checklist: For Your Home as a family. Let your kids check things off as you finish the checklist.
- Screen Time Fire Safety Fun: The kids page of the National Fire Prevention Association is Sparky.org. It offers a variety of printable activities and lesson plans as well as videos games and other fun things to explore.
- Read About It: Pick up some books about firefighters and fire safety at the library.
- Activities from Pinterest: Check out these fun ideas we’ve gathered on Pinterest.