Chaska Firemen's Park surrounds Clayhole Lake. (You would think they could have given it a better name, but its named for the former clay quarry that it replaced.) The park's amenities include playgrounds, a splash pad, a beach and boardwalk, plenty of picnic space plus a concession area and flower gardens. Restrooms are available onsite and there is off-street parking for over 100 vehicles.
11 Ideas for Family Fun at Chaska Firemen's Park
- Play on the Large Playground. The playground equipment is standard but on the larger side with sun shades covering it. The floor is wood chip. Parents can watch from park benches, however these do not offer much shade.
- Swim at the Beach
- Get Wet at the Splash Pad
- Learn About Chaska History. You can learn about both Chaska's brick-making history and their firefighters by touring the monuments around the park.
- Grab A Bite to Eat. Stop in for a bite at the Crooked Pint Ale House (where they have kid-friendly options and daily specials in their pub-style menu), grab a snack from the concession stand, or pack a picnic and take advantage of the picnic areas in the park.
- Take A Self-Guided Chaska Walking Tour, which starts at Firemen's Park. Find the tour on Chaska's Park Inventory.
- Try Curling at the Chaska Curling Center. Take a curling class or find drop-in ice times here.
- Go Fishing - The DNR lists this as a Fishing in the Neighborhood Pond because it is an ideal lake for beginners and kids. It is stocked with Bluegill, Black Crappie and Largemouth Bass.
- Try Pond Dipping - The sturdy fishing dock makes this a good place to dip for pond water to examine the pond life within. Some areas will be too high, but near the shore you can probably safely reach the water with a container. Learn more about pond dipping here.
- Rent a Paddleboat. Take a turn around the lake.
- Ice Skate in the Winter. This park has a warming house.
Clayhole Swimming Beach
Clayhole Swimming Beach is part of this relatively new lake and park. The beach's restrooms and changing rooms are open from Memorial Day through October. There is also a concession stand with the same seasonal times. Concessions also rents out paddleboats and paddleboards in 30-minute increments to take on the lake.
The beach has a diving platform. It is guarded during the hours of 1 p.m. to 7 p.m during the season (weather permitting). There are strategically placed shade structures around the lake and playground.
Note that the beach is not fenced off from the playground. Even with lifeguards, parental supervision is required at all times.
Birthday Parties at Firemen's Park
Picnic shelters at Firemen's Park can be rented inexpensively. Rentals are offered in time blocks of 9 am-3 pm or 4 pm-10 pm. Reservations can be made online.