Alimagnet Park is a large park (almost 180 acres) in Burnsville with family-friendly amenities that include a playground, a hard trail, and picnic areas. There are also sports fields and courts, canoe rentals, cross-country ski trails and a dog park.
10 Ideas for Family Fun at Alimagnet Park
- Enjoy the large playground. The playground is a good size for running and jumping without too much worry of overcrowding.
- Go Canoeing. If you plan to do this often, you can rent a canoe rack so you don't need to transport your canoe back and forth.
- Take a Family Walk. Enjoy the pond and natural prairie areas while strolling the trails. The hard surface trails make bringing a stroller easy or enjoy the natural trails if everyone is walking.
- Bring your horseshoes for a friendly family contest.
- Dine al fresco with a picnic at one of the benches or in the shelter if it is available.
- Kick around your soccer ball on the soccer/football field.
- Run the bases or play a game of kickball on the baseball diamond. Bring your own gear.
- Practice with your volleyball on the park's courts.
- Invite your family dog. He can enjoy the off-leash park or explore with you on-leash.
- Visit in the winter to snowshoe, ski, hike or take your dog skijoring
Winter at Alimagnet Park
In the winter, families can enjoy snowshoeing, hiking, skijoring and cross country skiing. Alimagnet is one of two parks in Burnsville that keeps groomed trails. These trails are relatively flat and are considered easier trails. This may be the better of the two parks to start with younger kids. Also, unlike Terrace Oaks Park, these trails are multi-use and welcome walkers, snowshoers, skijorers and dogs on leashes. Trails are open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. during the ski season.
Birthday Parties at Alimagnet Park
This park has a shelter available for rent for birthday parties and other private events. Book a time by calling 952-894-4500. The shelter accommodates up to 30 people and can be reserved for weekends or weekdays at resident and non-resident rates.
Bring Your Family Dog to Alimagnet Park
This park has a 7-acre year-round dog park. The dog park is open when the park is open. The dog park is completely fenced in and includes an open grass area, a wooded area, a water area, and a half-mile rock trail. Families who use the park regularly are encouraged to purchase a membership, but membership is not required. Other rules are posted at the park entrance. When outside the dog park, pets need to be leashed and controlled.