A list of cheap movie theaters in the Twin Cities.
As a family of six we have attended one — count it, one — movie together in an actual movie theater. After factoring in even matinee ticket prices, a jumbo tub of popcorn and a box of Milk Duds, it’s just too tough to justify the splurge when we can cozy up at home with Netflix and a couple bags of microwaved ‘corn.
I am not immune, however, to the somewhat throwback charm of the big screens. I spent half of high school selling tickets and popping corn at a second-run cineplex and loved (almost) every minute of it. So between the nostalgia and the obvious need for a bargain, when our family members head out to the movies, we look no further than the Riverview Theater in Minneapolis. You can’t beat the ticket prices ($2.50 for matinees, kids 11 & under and all ages Tuesdays and only a buck more for adult evening tickets – cash only) or the fresh popcorn with real butter! The prices for treat deals will make a large family cry tears of joy, as well. Plus, the ambiance — 50’s era living room decor and an enormous screening room with comfy stadium seating — is half the fun.
Note: Following their re-opening in 2021, the Riverview was not able to continue with their second-run-movie model because of changes in distribution and streaming. Prices are currently $5 for matinees, kids and seniors and $7 for adult evening tickets. The theater hopes to return to second run films and lower prices as things return to normal.
Other Twin Cities Movie Theaters with Cheap Flicks
Here are some other cheap movie theaters around town where you might catch a bargain or otherwise more kid-friendly flick with your young ones:
- Alamo Drafthouse | Woodbury, $5 Tuesdays – Opening Friday July 23, 2021.
- Hopkins Cinema 6 | Matinees, child admission & Terrific Tuesday all just $2.50; $3 evenings
- Emagine Theaters | Delano, East Bethel, Lakeville, Monticello, Rogers, Waconia, White Bear & Willow Creek (Plymouth) – many theater locations offer $5.85 matinees or showings all day, all ages
- Mall of America CMX | $5 ticket deal on Tuesday (excludes 3-D)
- Marcus Theaters | Elk River, Hastings, Oakdale, Rosemount, Shakopee and Southbridge Crossing (Shakopee) Cinemas – Super Saver Value Day programs: $5 tickets for all on Tuesdays, plus free complimentary-size popcorn for Magical Movie Rewards Members; $6 tickets for students of all ages and school faculty on Thursdays, plus free complimentary-size popcorn. Join Magical Movie Rewards for free popcorn on Tuesdays and other concession specials.
- Mann Theatres | St Paul’s Grandview & Highland locations just $5 all day
- New Hope Cinema Grill | Tickets always $3-$4/pp and only $2 on Tuesday
- Plaza Theater | Maplewood – all shows $3, Tuesday only $2.
- Showplace Icon West End | St Louis Park – $6 ticket Tuesdays and matinees
- St Anthony Main Theatre | Minneapolis – Tuesdays: $5 tickets and $3 soda or popcorn
- St Michael Cinema – Matinees $5 all ages daily, kids always $5
- Woodbury 10 Theatre | Matinees just $5 daily, children & seniors always $5 tickets – refillable popcorn bucket – free refills all year $25.
Have any to add to the list of discount theaters? Do any dollar theaters still exist? Drop us a line and let us know!
Don’t forget to check our guide to cheap summer movies – with special theater deals and a list of movies in the park programs.
Prices last verified 08/16/2019