MLK Monday – So, what’s closed today? Or, perhaps more importantly, what’s open and where can I get the kids out of the house? We’ve got ideas both indoor and out plus a couple of fun family events to observe the day:
- 32nd Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration – “Life’s most persistent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'”
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Celebrations in Minneapolis Parks
3-4 pm: Central Gym
6:30-7:30 pm: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center
- Winter Play Day | Silverwood Park, St Anthony | 1-4:30pm | Kite making, snowman building contest and an indoor concert courtesy Roe Family Singers. (Activity #1SIL0050)
- Find your nearest Twin Cities-area sledding hill.
- Find your local Twin Cities-area outdoor ice skating rink.
- Como Park Ski Center | St Paul, 10am-6pm | Special MLK hours for cross-country skiing, downhill skiing and snowboarding.
- Go snow tubing at some of our favorite hills | Minneapolis
- Free Third Monday | Minnesota Landscape Arboretum | Take advantage of both indoor and outdoor activities.
- Tail Time | Wild Rumpus Books, Minneapolis, 10:30am | Arrive early if you want to get a decent spot. Stick around to see how many critters (yes, animal critters) you can spot slinking around the store!
- PolarPalooza | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, St Paul | 10am-4pm | Educational games and activities.
- Behind the Scenes: Research Labs | Science Museum of MN | 12-4pm | Included with museum admission, $12.95-$18.95.
- Mill City Museum | Minneapolis | 10am-5pm | Special holiday hours – see our tips at 10 Things For Kids: Mill City Museum.
- Bakken Museum | Minneapolis | 10am-4pm (special holiday hours) | $5-$10/pp
- Find preschool open gym and open play times, but call ahead to check their holiday hours.
- Catch a cheap Movie – My Little Pony or Ninjago | Riverview Theater, Minneapolis | 1 & 5pm | $2/pp plus awesome popcorn!
- Half-price Open Swim | Great River Water Park, St Paul | 10:30am-8:30pm (activity pool and waterslides open 10:30-noon).
- Find activities for kids of all ages form our Winter Break Survival Guide.
- Inter-generational Play Time | Glenn of Hopkins | 9:30am-10:30am | A great way to build community and hang out with the wonderful clients of the Glen of Hopkins elderly daycare
- Health Kit Packing Party | Medina Entertainment Center | 5pm-7pm | Join your community to pack Health Kits for refugees around the world.