Get ready for a big serving of old-fashioned fun, cultural traditions and special events for the Holidays at Twin Cities museums and historic sites.
Searching for more Twin Cities holiday and Christmas events? Look no further than our 2022 Family Fun Twin Cities Christmas & Holiday Guide – packed with Santa sightings, holiday light displays, festivals, Christmas shopping events and more.
2022 HISTORIC HOLIDAY EVENTS IN THE TWIN CITIES
DAKOTA CITY HERITAGE VILLAGE
4008 220th St W, Farmington, MN 55024
CHRISTMAS IN THE VILLAGE: Dickens’ A Christmas Carol comes to life in the quaint and charming historic village. Guests will enjoy the illuminated buildings, sleigh rides, treats in the drugstore and can drop a letter to Santa at the post office – include a self-addressed envelope so he can reply. December 3-11, 2022. Saturdays & Sundays. Cost has typically been $5/pp or less.
Learn more about DAKOTA CITY HERITAGE VILLAGE.
AN EIDEM FARM CHRISTMAS: Old-fashioned festivities include a walking tour, winter wonderland activities and Christmas crafts. Dec 3, 2022, 11am-2pm. FREE admission.
- Daily Life on the Farm – an ongoing public event for families during the summer
- Free summer storytimes and movies
- Seasonal family festivals
272 W Government St, Taylors Falls, MN 55084
CHRISTMAS AT THE FOLSOM HOUSE: Presented as part of the annual Taylors Falls Lighting Festival. Nov 25, 2022, 4-8pm & Nov 26, 2022, 10am-7pm. FREE. Donations welcome.
Learn more about the FOLSOM HOUSE, operated by the Minnesota Historical Society.
4665 Manor Dr, Eagan, MN 55123
OLD FASHIONED HOLIDAY: This annual event is back with old-time fun on the farm, including a visit with Santa. This event is fully outdoors. Dec 4, 2022, 12pm-3pm. FREE.
Learn more about historic HOLZ FARM including festivals in the spring and fall.
JAMES J HILL HOUSE
240 Summit Ave, St Paul, MN 55102
HOLIDAYS ON THE HILL: It’s Christmas in 1910 during this tour at the most famous mansion on Summit Avenue in Saint Paul. Tickets include a 60-minute guided tour and holiday-themed exhibits. 2022 Holiday tours run Black Friday (Nov 25) through New Years Eve (Dec 31). Tours are offered from 10am-3:30pm, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Admission $8-$12/pp.
Learn more about the JAMES J HILL HOUSE.
OLIVER KELLEY FARM
15788 Kelley Farm Rd, Elk River, MN 55330
CHRISTMAS ON THE FARM TOUR: How did 19th century farm families celebrate the holidays? Find out on this special tour of the working historic farm complete with warm beverages and treats. Tours are approximately 45 minutes long. December 3 & 10, 2022. $15/pp.
Learn more about OLIVER KELLEY FARM.
POND HOUSE IN POND-DAKOTA MISSION PARK
401 E 104th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
FRONTIER CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION: Visitors can sing Christmas carols around the pump organ, listen to a reading of the Christmas story, enjoy some holiday treats and make paper star ornaments to take home. Dec 17, 2022, drop in from 1-4pm. FREE, donations appreciated.
Learn more about POND-DAKOTA MISSION PARK:
- Weekly historic-themed open houses (ongoing Saturdays, donations suggested)
- Annual special events such as the River Rendezvous in September
STANS HOUSE (Scott County Historical Society)
235 Fuller St S, Shakopee, MN 55379
KIDS CRAFTS: Crafts are available both in person and to go in 2022. Sign up for the December program here, registration in advance is required. FREE.
Learn more about the STANS HOUSE operated by the Scott County Historical Society including:
- Monthly free Kids Crafts
- historic house tours
- Seasonal public events
The Landing – Minnesota River Heritage Park
2187 County Rd 101, Shakopee, MN 55379
FOLKWAYS OF THE HOLIDAYS: Take a guided tour around 19th century homes decorated for the season, try holiday games of old, sing Christmas carols and learn about modern immigrant communities of the area. Weekends, December 3-18, 2022. $12/pp.
Learn more about THE LANDING and other living history events throughout the year.
WASHINGTON COUNTY HISTORIC COURTHOUSE
101 Pine St W, Stillwater, MN 55082
CHRISTMAS AT THE COURTHOUSE: Shop the annual holiday bazaar inside a courthouse beautifully decorated for Christmas. While shopping, take a fun scavenger hunt and see the historic exhibits, including the old county jail. November 19-20, 2022.
TWIN CITIES HOLIDAY CULTURAL CELEBRATIONS
AMERICAN SWEDISH INSTITUTE
- Julglädje: Family Holiday Concert: Listen to traditional holiday music from Sweden. Nov 26, 2022, 11am-12pm & 1pm-2pm. $15/adult; $5/child 6-17.
- Lucia Celebration & Concert: December 11, 2022, 2-3pm. $15/pp.
- Kids at the Castle: Tiny Tomtes and Extraordinary Elves: Explore the historic Turnblad Mansion for these little creatures. Dec 16-17, 2022, 9am-10am. $10/family includes museum admission.
- Top 4 Family Favorites at ASI – including the Family Gallery, a special Viking exhibit just for kids
- Kids at the Castle – a monthly themed event for families with children
- Family-friendly dining at FIKA restaurant
BRUENTRUP HERITAGE FARM
2170 County Rd D E, Maplewood, MN 55109
ST. NIKOLAUSTAG ON THE FARM: Visit with St. Nikolaus while your family learns about the history of German holiday traditions with hayrides, games, music, tours as well a Christmas Market, food trucks, sweets and a Christmas Tree forest. Dec 10, 2022. 12pm-4pm. FREE.
Learn more about BRUENTRUP HERITAGE FARM including:
- Top Family Favorites at Gammelgarden Museum – guided or self-guided tours, picnic space, playground and a Swedish Dala hunt!
CHRISTMAS IN GERMANY: GAI hosts its annual Holiday Open House with a new name. Participate in Christmas traditions of Germany, including Lebkuchen cookies, St. Nikolaus and German carols. Events will be both indoors and outside. Dec 3-4, 2022. FREE admission (food and beverages for sale).
Kids can meet Sankt Nikolaus from noon to 2pm, visit an alpaca petting zoo, make holiday crafts, and view model train displays.
GINGERBREAD WONDERLAND: Norway House’s annual signature Holiday tradition Gingerbread Wonderland returns for its 7th Anniversary. It’s a city made of gingerbread – November 22, 2022 through January 8, 2023 . $10/pp ages 13+; 12 and under FREE.
Our Holiday Festival Guide is full of hometown festivals at their seasonal best. Whether it’s Holidazzle at Loring Park, a tree lighting, a skating event or a full-on festival with fireworks and movies, we think this is quite simply the perfect way to celebrate the season.
Looking for more Santa and reindeer sightings? Track him with our Twin Cities Santa Finder: Santa Claus is Coming to Town.
What is your favorite event to celebrate the Holidays at Twin Cities museums or historic places? Leave us a comment and we’ll add it to our list.
- Union Depot: European Christmas Markets, Tree Lighting, Holiday movie and more.
- Mall of America Family Guide, Floor By Floor
- 9 Ways to Celebrate a Cozy Thanksgiving at Home
- Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
- Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul
- Night Trains at Twin City Model Railroad Museum
- Shopping Local for Unique Gifts
- 10 Things for Kids: Mill City Museum in Minneapolis
- Minnesota History Center: Top Things for Kids
- University of Minnesota family offerings
- Walker Art Center & Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
- Weisman Art Museum
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- How to Explore the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum with Kids
- Family Fun Calendar