Phelps Field Park offers family-friendly amenities that include a playground and tot lot with a Little Free Library, a soon-to-be built splash pad (where the wading pool used to sit), space to picnic with a grill, and sports courts and fields. This park has restroom facilities. The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board ("MPRB") is in the process of an improvement project at this park that will replace the old pool, update the playground, add more lighting and picnic areas and update the sports fields.
Phelps Park Improvement Project
Phase one construction began in July of 2020. Improvements will include the following updates:
- OPEN: The new play area (with separate areas for ages 2-5 and ages 5-12), was finalized and reopened in September 2020.
- Construction to began Fall 2021: Splash pad with a water play feature. The old pool was removed during the summer of 2020. It will be replaced with a splash pad.
- Picnic shelter (this does not currently have a start date listed)
- Paths and path lighting around the park - July 2020.
- There will also be new plantings and path and parking lot improvements beginning in July 2020.
- Redesign and reconstruction of the sports field on the south end of the park - planned to begin spring 2021.
Phelps Splash Pad
A new a splash pad that replaces the old pool will be built during the fall of 2021 and open in the summer of 2022. The splash pad will be a large open area with a central mist sprayer and several water jet sprayers that kids can run through.
Winter at Phelps Field Park
MPRB maintains an ice skating rink at this site during the colder months. Ice skating season is weather dependent, but usually runs from mid-December through mid-February.
Phelps Recreation Center
The recreation center at this park is currently run by the Boys and Girls Club of America, who offers programs for youth. Find more information for this location at the Southside Village Boys & Girls Club Facebook Page.