MELSA smARTpass Program is an arts access program for Twin Cities metro public library users. The MELSA Libraries (Anoka County, Carver County, Dakota County, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Saint Paul, Scott County, Washington County), offer patrons this option for free or reduced-price tickets to arts activities and museums. Like the Museum Adventure Pass that went before it, this program is not guaranteed to be around forever. We recommend taking advantage of it but also thanking the venues for their support. It would be sad to lose this resource.
smARTpass Participating Programs
The generous program partners do change from time to time, so be sure to check HERE for a current list. As you can see from the many directory links on the list below, quite a few of our favorite family venues are participating. Some partners have included:
- American Swedish Museum
- Firefighters Hall & Museum
- Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies
- Hennepin History Museum
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Minnesota Children’s Museum
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Park Square Theatre
- Stages Theatre Company
- SteppingStone Theatre
- The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
- The Schubert Club
- TU Dance
How To Participate in the smARTpass Program:
- Find An Event you are interested in;
- Click on Reserve;
- You will receive an email reservation with a link to a pass;
- Follow the instructions on your pass.
I reserved a pass to an MIA exhibit. This pass required that it be printed and recommended calling ahead for a reservation. It’s important to read over the pass and follow its instructions as each of the venues have their own procedures.
How smARTpass differs from Museum Adventure Pass
I was a little sad when the Museum Adventure Pass program ended a several years ago. This program is similar with a few differences.
- You have to find and check out your passes online.
- Passes are for specific times, which means this program can include performances.
- Once a reservation is made, there is no way to cancel or change/transfer it, and no way to restore that offer if a user is unable to attend for any reason.
- Additional free offers may be posted by partners at any time.
- Partners also have the option of offering discount offers.