As a family of six we have attended one — count it, one — movie together in an actual movie theater. After factoring in even matinee ticket prices, a jumbo tub of popcorn and a box of Milk Duds, it’s just too tough to justify the splurge when we can cozy up at home with Netflix and a couple bags of microwaved ‘corn.
I am not immune, however, to the somewhat throwback charm of the big screens. I spent half of high school selling tickets and popping corn at a second-run cineplex and loved (almost) every minute of it. So between the nostalgia and the obvious need for a bargain, when our family members head out to the movies, we look no further than the Riverview Theater in Minneapolis. You can’t beat the ticket prices ($2 for matinees, kids 11 & under and all ages Tuesdays and only a buck more for adult evening tickets – cash only) or the fresh popcorn with real butter! The prices for treat deals will make a large family cry tears of joy, as well. Plus, the ambiance — 50’s era living room decor and an enormous screening room with comfy stadium seating — is half the fun.
Other Twin Cities Movie Houses with Cheap Flicks
Here are some other movie houses around town where you might catch a bargain or otherwise more kid-friendly flick with your young ones:
- Hopkins Cinema 6 | Matinees, child admission & Terrific Tuesday all just $2.50; $3 evenings
- Emagine Theaters | Delano, East Bethel, Lakeville, Monticello, Rogers, Waconia, White Bear & Willow Creek (Plymouth) – many theater locations offer $5.85 matinees or showings all day, all ages
- Mall of America CMX | $5 ticket deal on Tuesday (excludes 3-D)
- Marcus Theaters | Elk River, Hastings, Oakdale, Rosemount & Shakopee – Super Saver Day programs: $5 tickets for all on Tuesday, $6 for students on Thurs. Join their rewards program for concession specials.
- Mann Theatres | St Paul’s Grandview & Highland locations just $5 all day
- New Hope Cinema Grill | Tickets always $3-$4/pp and only $2 on Tuesday
- Plaza Theater | Maplewood – all shows $3, Tuesday only two bucks
- Showplace Icon West End | St Louis Park – $5.36 ticket Tuesdays and matinees (price at door)
- St Anthony Main Theatre | Minneapolis – Tuesdays: $5 tickets and $3 soda or popcorn
- St Michael Cinema – Matinees $5 all ages daily, kids always $5
- Woodbury 10 Theatre | Matinees just $5 daily, children & seniors always $5 tickets – refillable popcorn bucket – free refills all year $25.
Have any to add to the list? Drop us a line and let us know!
Prices last verified 2/22/2019