Harriet Island Regional Park is a beautiful urban park that spreads out along St Paul's riverfront across from Downtown. "Island" is somewhat of a misnomer these days as the back channel of the island was filled in years ago.
Visitors to the park can enjoy walking paths that run close to the Mississippi River, a playground and tot lot (with a riverboat theme), and the Clarence W. Wigington Pavilion, which occasionally hosts entertainment for the public. Families coming to picnic will find grills available for use. Bring your own charcoal.
There are also several large-scale public events that take place annually on Harriet Island including the Irish Fair. Flooding in the last few years has reduced the number of public events. It used to be the City's July 4th fireworks location, but they have been moved or cancelled in recent years. You may want to check the St. Paul website for closures before heading out to the park after heavy rains. Note that parking can be hard to find around the park - especially during events. Look for special Free Ride offers from MetroTransit for larger events.
Padelford Riverboat Cruises
Padelford Riverboats launch from Harriet Island Regional Park. They offers 90-minute sightseeing cruises, dinner and other specialty cruises and occasional kids cruises. See their calendar for public cruises.
5 Family-Friendly Events at Harriet Island
- ALS Superhero 5K - Learn more about this May event in our Family Sports & Fitness event page.
- Irish Fair - Celebrated each August, this is one of our favorite summer festivals.
- Freedom 5K Run/Walk - Held in September, this 5K supports the Minnesota Teen Challenge organization.
- Chocoholic Frolic - This 5k/10k and KidsK features a chocolate reward at the finish line and at stops along the route. It also has a Kidzone with games and activities for children.
- Turkey Trot. Another November race. Get out and enjoy the outdoors before your Thanksgiving feast.
Birthday Parties at Harriet Island
This may not be the most practical birthday party location as it is popular for weddings and public events. Rentable locations may book out far in advance - especially on weekends and summer months. However weekday prices are quite reasonable. Find more information on renting space here. Find other venues for birthday parties in our Guide to Birthday Parties for Kids.
- Veterans Day: Dedicated Memorial Parks to Honor Veterans
- Raspberry Island Regional Park
- Fall Colors in Minnesota: 10 Tours for Families
- Great River Passage: St. Paul Riverfront
- The Best St Paul Bike Trails for Families