Maple Grove's Gleason Fields is a 45-acre community sports park. Family-friendly amenities include a playground, space to picnic and sports courts and fields. In the winter, the city maintains two skating rinks with an attended warming shelter. The park has a large off-street parking lot and year-round restrooms. It has had some natural landscaping added along trails and edges of the park.
6 Ideas for Family Fun at Gleason Fields
- Let the kids run at the playground. The playground at this park is large with equipment for tots and for bigger kids. It is located near the main parking lot, so its easy to get in and out if that is all you want to do.
- Pack a picnic. There are picnic tables in a small shaded pavilion conveniently placed so parents can see the playground. There are also uncovered tables and plenty of space to spread a blanket on the ground.
- Practice your favorite sports. Bring your gear for a family practice session. With a lacrosse field, soccer fields, two baseball/softball fields, a basketball court and two tennis/pickleball courts, there is room to practice almost any sport.
- Play lawn games. Use the ample green space to play some outdoor games that require more space.
- Bike. The bike/pedestrian trails in this park connect bikers to the neighborhood.
- Go Roller Skating. Maple Grove's park system has nice smooth paths that are perfect for skating, walking with strollers or bringing small kids to practice on scooters or bikes.
Winter at Gleason Fields
Gleason Fields has two lighted hockey rinks plus a pleasure skating area with a warming house and attendants. Skating season is dependent on weather and the suitability of ice and usually runs from mid-December to mid-February. Rink Hours are from 4pm to 8:30pm on weekdays, noon to 6pm on Saturdays and 1pm to 6pm on Sundays. Holiday hours vary.
Updates to Gleason Fields
Maple Grove is in the early stages of planning for updates to the park. Coming updates to this park will likely include improvements to ballfields, moving the playground to expand the parking lot and adding a second play area near the Vagabond parking lot. Follow the progress of these plans here.