Nestled between Fridley High School and Fridley Junior High, Commons Park ha family-friendly amenities that include a playground, space to picnic and sports courts and fields. Public restrooms are available and there is off-street parking. Dogs are not allowed at this park. The location and large size (23 acres) of the park, make it a go-to for community events throughout the year. Fridley has plans for updates to this park in the near future.
5 Ideas for Family Fun at Commons Park
- Play together on the playground. The playground is large and open enough for adults to play, too. It offers two climbing structures - one for tots, one for bigger kids -- a swing set, a pull-up spinner and a climbing web. On the downside, the floor is woodchip and their is little to no shade on the playground.
- Play kickball, when the baseball/softball fields aren't in official use. Don't forget to bring a playground ball.
- Have a field game day on the park's football/soccer fields.
- Pack a picnic. The park has a picnic area with tables and a shelter.
- Bring your tennis gear and play a game together.
Winter Family Fun Ideas
In the winter the park has a popular sledding hill and the city maintains an outdoor hockey rink and leisure skate oval. There is a warming house available. As part of the coming updates to this park, Fridley hopes to add a winter recreation area.
Find More Twin Cities Sledding Hills: Twin Cities Guide to the Best Sledding Hills.
Coming Improvements to Commons Park?:
Fridley has plans to update this park in the near future (but does not have a timeline). Among the list of exciting updates being considered are:
- Inclusive playground (all ages play, adventure/obstacle course theme)
- Sensory gardens
- Loop trail with fitness circuit
- New and updated fields
- Splash pad
- New park pavilion with rental space
- New shelters
- Winter recreation activity area
Birthday Parties in the Park
The park has an enclosed picnic shelter available to rent for Birthday Parties and other private events. Building amenities include an indoor restroom, a grill, electricity, heat and running water and it holds approximately 30 people. Rates are available for both residents and non-residents. Find more information on Fridley facility rentals here.
Pollution Levels at Commons Park
In July of 2020, the EPA proposed de-listing Commons Park Superfund site from the National Priorities List because the contaminant levels have stayed below cleanup goals since 2005 and because the source of the contamination has never been identified. The groundwater will continue to be monitored. Learn more on the EPA website.