Aquila Park is located on the west side of St. Louis Park across 31st Street from Aquila Elementary. Family friendly amenities include a playground, biking and walking trails, and picnic areas. There are also sports fields and courts. Aquila is one of several SLP parks that provides free wi-fi in park shelters and picnic shelters. This is also the park where the city hosts its annual July 4th fireworks. There is some off-street parking available.
10 Fun Things for Families at Aquila Park
- Enjoy the play structure together, or just let the kids run wild while you take advantage of the fee wi-fi to catch up with Family Fun Twin Cities articles. The playground is tucked among trees in the southwest corner of the park (opposite the parking lot). Note there is a much larger playground at the grade school across 31st Street. If you are visiting the park for a ball game, you may see that playground first.
- Practice Baseball Skills or bring a playground ball for a game of kickball.
- Bring a basketball to practice shots.
- Take advantage of all the open green space for outdoor running games, like kickball or freeze tag.
- Enjoy a picnic. This park has picnic tables, a small pavilion and outdoor grills.
- Practice Skating or Learn to Bike. The park's paved trails are a good place for new bikers or skaters to practice their skills.
- Go for a family bike ride. This park is a stop on the North Cedar Lake Regional Trail, which runs from Hopkins to Minneapolis.
- Visit in the winter for sledding. This park is one of St. Louis Park's recommended sledding hills.
- Play a little tennis, but keep in mind that these courts are reservable, so they may not always be available for drop in play.
- Play Horseshoes. Bring your horseshoes. This park has pits.
Picnics and Birthday Parties
Winter at Aquila Park
Fastpitch Softball Fields
The city recently completed converting two fields at the softball complex into permanent fastpitch softball fields. The upgrades included a new outfield, backstop fencing, and dugouts, as well as irrigation and site restoration.