Our easy apple crisp recipe with step-by-step photos can be made in a single dish. The crispy topping has a rich, buttery flavor. One bite, and your family will be begging for more.
This is my mom’s apple crisp recipe. There is no peeling involved. There are 5 ingredients that we don’t bother to measure (I’ve given approximate measures for this recipe), and — best of all — it can be done by an 8-year-old with minimal supervision. No mixing bowl, because there is no need to stir. No pastry cutter. No extra dishes, besides the baking dish and apple slicer. It’s faster, easier and healthier than apple pie. It is simply the easiest and best apple crisp recipe.
Where to find Apple Crisp Apples
You can definitely pick up a cheap bag of apples at the grocery store when getting dinner ingredients, but in September and October, you can use apple dessert as an excuse to visit a local apple orchard.
What to Serve with Apple Crisp
My mother always served this for dessert on chili nights, but I think it goes equally well with pork chops. A scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream make delicious apple crisp toppings — but are totally unnecessary.
Apple Crisp Recipe
- 3-4 apples of whatever variety you like – Braeburn, Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, Cortland, Granny Smith Apples — whatever works for you. (We ended up using three for a cake pan size)
- Approx. 1/2 cup of brown sugar (You could substitute granulated sugar or other sweeteners)
- Approx. 1/2 cup of oatmeal for the crumble crisp topping.
- 1/2 stick of melted butter (I’ve substituted olive oil successfully)
- Teaspoon ground cinnamon & sugar mix to top
Other Ingredients I’ve Added In The Past:
- Dried Cranberries
- Nuts – like walnuts or pecans
1. Slice the apples and layer the slices in an oven-safe dish. You could be fancy and do rings, but we just use an apple slicer. My 8-year-old was barely strong enough to do this on her own. You may have to help with this part.
2. Sprinkle apples with brown sugar.
3. Sprinkle with Oats.
4. Pour melted butter over everything.
5. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
6. Bake at 350 until it smells yummy and the top is kind of golden brown. About half an hour. (Preheating doesn’t seem to effect the outcome, so I don’t usually preheat when my daughter is cooking. It’s a little safer for her to put it in and I take it out.)
That is it! That is our easy apple crisp recipe. Five ingredients. Six steps and my kids can do it by themselves while we make dinner nearby.