This week’s installment of Recipe Wednesday hopes that you’ve been able to make it out to one of the wonderful Twin Cities-area apple orchards (and if you haven’t, we’ve got a list of a few to try at the end of the recipe bit). I know garden-fresh strawberries and rhubarb aren’t easy to come by this time of year, but this simple Strawberry Rhubarb Applesauce recipe from the local blog Dining With Alice looked so tasty I just had to share.
Strawberry Rhubarb Applesauce
Recipe courtesy Alice Seuffert, Dining With Alice
- slow cooker
- immersion blender
- 1 lb Strawberries (stems removed, halved)
- 2 lbs Apples (cored, skin on & quartered)
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice (or Cider)
- 2 cups Rhubarb (chopped)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
Combine ingredients and cook on low in a slow cooker for 8 hours.
Once cooked, use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to get your desired consistency of the apple sauce.
Alice recommends the sauce over vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce.
Twin Cities Apple Orchards
But first order of business, where to find these apples for the sauce? Family Fun Twin Cities has got you covered. (And as a bonus, several of these orchards also offer pumpkin patches and other fall activities. If you grab a pumpkin, you’ll want to check out another Recipe from Alice, Thanksgiving Pumpkin Rice.)
- Pickings in the North Metro (highlighting the following: Sunrise River Farm, Victoria Valley Orchard, Pine Tree Orchard, and Covered Bridge Farm.)
- Southern Hospitality (highlighting: Ferguson’s Minnesota Harvest, Emma Krumbee’s, and AppleWood Orchard.)
- Go West, Young Man (and Women): highlighting Apple Jack Orchards, Fall Harvest Orchard, and Minnetonka Orchards.
- 4 Picks in the West Metro (highlighting: LuceLine Orchard and Apple Tree-O.)
- Eastern Metro (highlighting: Aamodt’s Apple Farm, Pine Tree Orchard, and Afton Apple Orchard.)
- Southeastern Fun (highlighting: McDougall’s Apple Junction and Whistling Well Farm.)