In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page because you are looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature. Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas of things to do with kids in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory, including family outings, services, classes, camps, birthday parties and more.
Family Fun Directory of Things To Do with Kids:
My family recently had an opportunity to try out Flyover America at the Mall of America. This fully immersive flight experience uses flight-ride technology to take participants on an aerial tour of some of the nation’s most popular landmarks and spectacular sights. Riders are suspended 10 to 40 feet in the air above a large dome screen as they fly above landmarks of the United States. Unlike other big-screen experiences, this one involves all five senses. At times you will feel wind and mist and smell the aroma of the meadows and flowers. You'll even feel temperature changes.
My boys have been really into planes this summer, so I was looking forward to taking them on this ride. Unfortunately, only one of them met the height requirements, but he thoroughly enjoyed himself. The ride may have been too intense for a four-year-old anyway.
Things We Liked About Flyover America
- It was really fun. Everyone loved it from 6 to adult.
- Everything was well organized, so we always felt safe and knew what was going on.
- The staff was courteous and pleasant.
- The seats were comfortable for the entire 20 minute ride.
- The visuals were amazing. Nothing seemed to distort - like it sometimes does on bigger screens.
- You would have to crane your neck around to find a dead spot.
- The seats moved forward and backward and side to side to give a complete flying experience.
- The added senses of smell and feel were fun additions.
- This could be a really fun treat for a kid who likes to play super hero.
Downsides of Flyover America
- The intro was kind of hokey. It got the message across, but it had an "after school special" sort of feel.
- The 20 minutes was over too fast.
- We would have liked it if there had been narration letting us know where we were -- like a tour guide or something.
- It didn't seem to be in a logical order.
- Some of the transitions were abrupt.
- Children need to be 40 inches tall to ride, so it is not a family ride if you have small children.
- It would be a bit intense for some people, but less intense than an average roller coaster.
- This is an additional or separate expense from Nickelodeon Universe passes.
FlyOver America is located in the southwest corner of Nickelodeon Universe in the Mall of America. The ride does not have age restrictions, but for safety reasons, all guests must by 40” or taller.
This review was written by Joy. We were provided complimentary tickets to facilitate this review.
What is the Family Fun Twin Directory?
This is the most extensive collection of companies, organizations, activities and places to find things to do with kids in the Twin Cities. Find things to do this weekend, things to do today, things to do with toddlers, things to do with teens. We have it all. Sort by indoor things to do with kids or outdoor things to do with kids. Find theater, music, water parks, aquariums, zoos, museums, seasonal fun.
Find the Answers to Your Questions. How much does it cost? What are the hours? Where can I find discount tickets? Where did my favorite store go?
We share Family Friendly Businesses. We work hard to keep it the most current and accurate parenting resource in the Twin Cities. Not just a blog for moms, we are a informational resource for families. This parent to parent list is perfect for dads, moms and grandparents to find fun things to do with kids year round.
This directory was made for families who live in the Twin Cities metro to connect with local businesses. However, visitors to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will find our directory useful to learn more about venues with insider tips and details. Use this directory to find the best things to do with families in Minnesota's largest metropolitan area.
Connect With Us: