Playing goalie since I was about knee-high, this Minnesota kid has spent my fair share of time appraising the conditions of outdoor ice. And let me tell you, this skating rink at Dick’s House of Sport, located at Ridgedale Mall in Minnetonka, takes the cake. It was really exciting for me to be invited to try out the brand-new outdoor rink before it officially opened to the public for ice skating. My dad and I spent much of the evening on the ice (he’s not too bad either) before heading indoors to explore the rest of the store. And check out their awesome selection of Minnesota Wild hockey jerseys, of course.
All about Dick’s House of Sport ice rink
The ice rink is a crisp sheet flanked by floodlights and encapsulated by netting to prevent stray pucks from escaping. It comes complete with a scoreboard if you’d like to keep record of the match at hand – a must for a goalie. But you need not worship hockey to enjoy the rink. Yes, it’s suitable for a competitive experience (say, traditional 5v5 for younger kids and 3v3 for veterans) but also great for casual skating or even beginners who need a lesson (you can sign up for those at this link). And — bonus! — the rink features its own zamboni for resurfacing, certainly not something many outdoor rinks can boast about, can they?
Planning to visit Dick’s House of Sport ice rink?
Here’s what you need to know:
- Open skate hours are Fridays from 4-8pm, Saturdays from 12-6pm, & Sundays from 12-6pm. You’ll want to check the website for extra hours over the winter school break – Dick’s House of Sport is offering FREE skating through December 25, 2022!
- Reservations for the rink are made online or you can try walking up, too. Cost is $8 to skate for 50 minutes (after Dec 25) and rentals are available for $5. You’re welcome to bring your own skates. Season passes start at $30 for individuals and $80 for families if you’re local enough to be a regular.
- FREE skate trainers are available on a first-come basis.
- A waiver is required to use the ice rink.
- Private blocks of ice time can be booked. Could make for a fun birthday party or other event.
- The final skate of the season is February 25, 2023.
More fun things to do at Dick’s House of Sport
Upon entering Dick’s House of Sport, I could immediately tell that the store holds nothing back for those, like myself, who are hungry to play. It offers an impressive array of sporting equipment and outdoor gear plus cool attractions for people choosing indoor pursuits:
- a batting cage ($10 buys 15 minutes)
- indoor putting green (FREE! Or $30 for 30 minutes in the simulator)
- and a rock climbing wall! ($10 per 15 minutes with lots of routes to explore)
I would have been perfectly happy if my dad had simply dropped me off Friday night and returned for me Sunday afternoon. Come on out and see for yourself! Put Dick’s House of Sport and its outdoor ice rink on your short list of fun things to do over winter break.
For more information about Dick’s House of Sport and to book ice time, visit their website.
- WHERE TO FIND OUTDOOR ICE SKATING RINKS IN THE TWIN CITIES
- 16 THINGS TO DO OVER WINTER BREAK IN THE TWIN CITIES
- TWIN CITIES WINTER SURVIVAL GUIDE
This review was written by Andy Kingston