I forget every year how a trip to the Como Park Zoo & Conservatory instantly lifts my spirits in those first few fickle weeks of spring in Minnesota. I’ve spent some time both indoors and out lately at Como and had my kiddos come up with the top ten things you should be sure to see at Como if you’re craving some spring. The pictures correspond to the bullets of the Spring Checklist starting with the main photo and then moving clockwise:
Como Park Zoo & Conservatory Spring Checklist
- The Spring Flower Show in the Conservatory’s Sunken Garden is a beautiful blast of color and the blooms instantly transport you to gardening season.
- Sitting at the fishpond in the humid North Garden is almost like being up north at the lake cabin, right?
- Springtime means babies! Como Zoo is often welcoming them. Keep a watch on their social media channels for updates.
- Como’s Lil Explorer Thursdays program, featuring free weekly themed hands-on activities for preschoolers, runs throughout the year, but can be more fun without the big kids.
- The children’s exhibit room is always a must-stop. The preschooler loves to play zookeeper and even the 9-year-old still likes to work the water cycle (but don’t tell him I told you).
- The Ordway Gardens wing lets kids design their own Japanese garden.
- The wildlife is increasingly out and about in the spring! And if it’s a gusty day, the buildings are heated and have great viewing windows.
- If you’re lucky, you might catch the fish feeding in the Tropical Encounters exhibit. We arrived around 11:15.
- Cafesjian’s Carousel starts to spin May 1. Tickets are $3/pp or visit on one of the free ride days.
- Como Town Amusement Park opens May 20 with rides and attractions perfect for the 12-and-under crowd.
Share Your Favorites
What is your favorite spring adventure at Como Zoo, Conservatory or in the park? Leave us a comment to share with the community.
Year Round Fun at Como Park & Zoo
Family fun doesn’t go out of season at Como Park Zoo & Conservatory!