Are you looking for slightly more mature family fun to do with your tweens/teens?
We are new to this part of parenting ourselves, but we’re collecting ideas here as we find them. Double digit parenting seems to come with a stronger divergence among individual opinions of age appropriateness. We will do our best to cater to a wide variety of attitudes, but ultimately, we depend on our own instincts on whether something is family friendly. We do rely heavily on Commonsense Media‘s ratings. For books, we like the Scholastic‘s age and interest level ratings. For YA book reviews, check out Minneapolis blog, Proper Noun.
Stage and Music:
- Ordway – The Ordway is home to the SPCO, the Minnesota Opera, some Schubert Club concerts and traveling shows. Children must be over six to attend most Ordway events, but many of them are best shared with your older children.
- Como Zoo’s Music Under Glass Series – While this program is open to all ages, teens and adults are more likely to appreciate the music and atmosphere of music in the conservatory. Sundays, January – early March.
Book Stores Specializing in Young Adult Books:
Toy Stores for Tweens/Teens:
Active Family Fun with Tweens/Teens:
Besides these specific lists, we keep a calendar of family-friendly sporting events – like races and benefit walks. These events are perfect for families with older kids.
- Disc Golf
- Fight or Flight Academy
- Mini Golf
- Roller Skating
- Skate Parks
- Steep Sledding Hills
- Trampoline Parks
- Wheel Fun Rentals
With all natural, homemade marshmallows, they are soooo yummy!
Splurge Outings With Tweens/Teens:
- Escape Frenzy – This live puzzle game may be too much for sensitive children, but a lot of fun for kids who enjoy puzzles. Parental participation is required for children under 16 and other age restrictions apply.
- Flyover America – While this ride was appealing to my six-year-old, it did not lose its excitement for our tween or the adults.
- Missing Pieces Escape Games
- SMAAASH – This new restaurant/gaming facility at the Mall of America has an adult atmosphere but also has games and activities that would appeal to older kids as well as their parents.
- Water Parks
- X-Games – July 2017 and July 2018 at US Bank Stadium