Are you looking for slightly more mature family fun to do with your tweens/teens?
We are new to this part of parenting ourselves, but we’re collecting ideas here as we find them. Double digit parenting seems to come with a stronger divergence among individual opinions of age appropriateness. We will do our best to cater to a wide variety of attitudes, but ultimately, we depend on our own instincts on whether something is family friendly. We do rely heavily on Commonsense Media‘s ratings. For books, we like the Scholastic‘s age and interest level ratings. For YA book reviews, check out Minneapolis blog, Proper Noun.
The XGames are coming to the Twin Cities!!! Don’t miss them!
- Bakken Skill Builder Sundays – Practice and improve maker skills in these weekly workshops, held most Sundays from 12:30-3:30pm. Themes will include carpentry, coding, circuit or challenge projects. Kits cost $30 with a discount for multiples. Find upcoming theme and dates.
Seasonal Fun With Teens/Tweens:
Stage and Music:
- The Garage – All ages, alcohol and smoke free music venue in Burnsville.
- Como Zoo’s Music Under Glass Series – While this program is open to all ages, teens and adults are more likely to appreciate the music and atmosphere of music in the conservatory. Sundays, January – early March.
- Ordway – The Ordway is home to the SPCO, the Minnesota Opera, some Schubert Club concerts and traveling shows. Children must be over six to attend most Ordway events, but many of them are best shared with your older children.
Book Stores Specializing in Young Adult Books:
Toy Stores for Tweens/Teens:
Active Family Fun with Tweens/Teens:
Besides these specific lists, we keep a calendar of family-friendly sporting events – like races and benefit walks. These events are perfect for families with older kids.
- Disc Golf
- Fight or Flight Academy
- Mini Golf
- Roller Skating
- Schaper Park & Challenge Course, Golden Valley
- Skate Parks
- Steep Sledding Hills
- Trampoline Parks
- Wheel Fun Rentals
With all natural, homemade marshmallows, they are soooo yummy!
Splurge Outings With Tweens/Teens:
- Escape Frenzy – This live puzzle game may be too much for sensitive children, but a lot of fun for kids who enjoy puzzles. Parental participation is required for children under 16 and other age restrictions apply.
- The Escape Game in Minneapolis is in the Mall Of America, and has several exciting escape rooms to choose from – The Heist, Mission: Mars, Gold Rush, Prison Break, and their newest, Special Ops – all great for teens!
- Flyover America – While this ride was appealing to my six-year-old, it did not lose its excitement for our tween or the adults.
- Missing Pieces Escape Games
- SMAAASH – This new restaurant/gaming facility at the Mall of America has an adult atmosphere but also has games and activities that would appeal to older kids as well as their parents.
- Water Parks
- X-Games – July 2017 and July 2018 at US Bank Stadium