The Wargo Nature Center is part of the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Regional Park. It was built to facilitate awareness, knowledge, and appreciation of natural and cultural environments and their resources. With a goal of fostering responsible stewardship and lifelong learning in people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds the center offers environmental and recreational programs for families throughout the year. Families will enjoy the displays, the touch and see room, and the outdoor areas, including the nature playground and gardens.
Tip: Sign up for the Wargo newsletter to get advance notice on events that require pre-registration.
Annual Events at Wargo Nature Center
- January • Snow Day • Includes a variety of winter activities: snowshoeing, ice fishing, kicksledding, cross-country skiing, winter crafts, live animal displays. FREE.
- March • Maple Syrup Festival • Learn about the tradition of gathering maple sap and cooking it down to make maple syrup and sugar. $5/person. Pre-registration is required.
- April • Earth Day Celebration • Activities include a climbing wall, light refreshments, an art project and a learning fair. FREE.
- October • Wargo Fall Festival • Celebrate fall with Wargo's cider press, play pioneer games, and try out some self-guided nature activities.
- October • Little Goblins Costume Party • An event for children 8 years and younger and their parents. Kids and parents are encouraged to dress in their favorite, family-friendly costume. Event includes themed carnival games, crafts, refreshments, photo backdrop and a flashlight hike. $8/child. Pre-registration is required.
Equipment Rental for Family Fun at Wargo Nature Center
- GPS Units for Geocaching within the park.
Wargo Nature Center Programs
Preschool Nature Play
Preschoolers and their parents can enjoy a nature play program from 10am to 11:15 am on the first Thursday of each month. Parents and their 2-5 year old child can explore nature through outdoor play, stories, and crafts. All programs involve outdoor exploration, so families should dress appropriate for the weather and play. The cost of these programs are $3/child and $6/adult +tax.
Find more preschool programs in our Guide to Twin Cities Preschools
Homeschool programs are held monthly from October through May and offer both a morning and an afternoon session for three different grade levels, K-2, 3-5 and 6-12. Preregistration is required.
Traditionally, families could book Wargo Nature Center for birthday parties for children ages 5+. The fee includes access to the entire nature center, 2 hours of private classroom space, including a 45-minute naturalist presentation, which may include live animals, outdoor exploration and/or crafts. The birthday child can choose the topic from a list of available programs. Call 763-324-3350 for availability and more info.
Anoka County Parks Summer Camps
Anoka County Parks hosts summer camps at Wargo and other parks across the county. Camps run all summer and range from one day to five days. These camps are featured in our annual summer camp guide, where we update dates and prices each year. Find more information and register here.