In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature.
Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas for family outings and services in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory.
The Wargo Nature Center is part of the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Regional Park. It was built to facilitate awareness, knowledge, and appreciation of natural and cultural environments and their resources. With a goal of fostering responsible stewardship and lifelong learning in people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds the center offers environmental and recreational programs for families throughout the year. Families will enjoy the displays, the touch and see room, and the outdoor areas, including the nature playground.
Pro Tip: Sign up for theWargo newsletter to get advance notice on events that require pre-registration.
Preschool Nature Play at Wargo Nature Center
Preschoolers and their parents can enjoy a nature play program from 10am to 11:15 am on the first Thursday of each month. Parents and their 2-5 year old child can explore nature through outdoor play, stories, and crafts. All programs involve outdoor exploration, so families should dress appropriate for the weather and play. The cost of these programs are $3/child and $3/adult +tax.
Annual Events at Wargo Nature Center
- January • Snow Day • Includes a variety of winter activities: snowshoeing, ice fishing, kicksledding, cross-country skiing, winter crafts, live animal displays. FREE.
- March • Maple Syrup Festival • Learn about the tradition of gathering maple sap and cooking it down to make maple syrup and sugar. $5/person. Pre-registration is required.
- April • Earth Day Celebration • Activities include a climbing wall, light refreshments, an art project and a learning fair. FREE.
- October • Wargo Fall Festival • Celebrate fall with Wargo's cider press, play pioneer games, and try out some self-guided nature activities.
- October • Little Goblins Costume Party • An event for children 8 years and younger and their parents. Kids and parents are encouraged to dress in their favorite, family-friendly costume. Event includes themed carnival games, crafts, refreshments, photo backdrop and a flashlight hike. $8/child. Pre-registration is required.
All rentals are dependent of proper weather, are first come, first served, and must be returned a half hour before the close of the nature center. Parents or other adults must be with children. Families can rent:
- Canoes ($10 hour or $30 / day.)
- Kayaks ($10 / hour for single and $15 / hour for tandem, and $35 / day for single and $40 / day for tandem.
- Snowshoes / kicksleds ($5 for up to two hours - at site only.)
- GPS Units ($5 for up to two hours - at site only.)
Homeschool Programs at Wargo Nature Center
Homeschool programs are held monthly from October through May and offer both a morning and an afternoon session for three different grade levels, K-2, 3-5 and 6-12. Preregistration is required and each program costs $5/child.
Birthday Parties at Wargo Nature Center
Families can book Wargo Nature Center for birthday parties for children ages 5+. The Fee is $100 per group and includes access to the entire nature center, 2 hours of private classroom space, including a 45-minute naturalist presentation, which may include live animals, outdoor exploration and/or crafts. The birthday child can choose the topic from a list of available programs. Call 763-324-3350 for more info.
Articles Related to Wargo Nature Center