The Wargo Nature Center is part of the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Regional Park. It was built to facilitate awareness, knowledge, and appreciation of natural and cultural environments and their resources. With a goal of fostering responsible stewardship and lifelong learning in people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds the center offers environmental and recreational programs for families throughout the year. Families will enjoy the displays, the touch and see room, and the outdoor areas, including the nature playground.
Pro Tip: Sign up for theWargo newsletter to get advance notice on events that require pre-registration.
Annual Events at Wargo Nature Center
- January • Snow Day • Includes a variety of winter activities: snowshoeing, ice fishing, kicksledding, cross-country skiing, winter crafts, live animal displays. FREE.
- March • Maple Syrup Festival • Learn about the tradition of gathering maple sap and cooking it down to make maple syrup and sugar. $5/person. Pre-registration is required.
- April • Earth Day Celebration • Activities include a climbing wall, light refreshments, an art project and a learning fair. FREE.
- October • Wargo Fall Festival • Celebrate fall with Wargo's cider press, play pioneer games, and try out some self-guided nature activities.
- October • Little Goblins Costume Party • An event for children 8 years and younger and their parents. Kids and parents are encouraged to dress in their favorite, family-friendly costume. Event includes themed carnival games, crafts, refreshments, photo backdrop and a flashlight hike. $8/child. Pre-registration is required.
Beginning in April of 2017, the nature center will be open until 8:00 pm on Wednesday and Friday evenings to facilitate use of rental equipment during the longer days of summer. All rentals are dependent of proper weather, are first come, first served, and must be returned a half hour before the close of the nature center. Parents or other adults must be with children. Families can rent:
- Canoes ($10 hour or $30 / day.)
- Kayaks ($10 / hour for single and $15 / hour for tandem, and $35 / day for single and $40 / day for tandem.
- Snowshoes / kicksleds ($5 for up to two hours - at site only.)
- GPS Units ($5 for up to two hours - at site only.)
Birthday Parties at Wargo Nature Center
Families can book Wargo Nature Center for birthday parties. The Fee is $100 per group and includes access to the entire nature center, 2 hours of private classroom space and a 45-minute naturalist presentation, which may include live animals and crafts. The birthday child can choose the topic from a list of available programs.
Articles Related to Wargo Nature Center