Shady Oak Play Area is located within Shady Oak Beach, an 85-acre park in Minnetonka, whose main attraction is its beach. While the facility is owned by the City of Hopkins, it is operated by the Minnetonka’s Recreation Department. Other family-friendly amenities include a sand volleyball court and fishing area. This park has free off-street parking. Beach restrooms are available between June 7th and August 18th. Outside of beach season, a Porta-Potty is available. Note that the Beach has an entrance fee and restrooms and other beach amenities cannot be accessed without paying the fee.
Pets are not allowed at this beach and picnics must not include cans or glass containers.
Shady Oak Beach
The sanded beach spans 76 feet across the shoreline of a clear spring-fed lake. Lifeguards are on duty when the beach is open. The lake is deep enough to allow the beach a high dive. Visitors can also rent canoes, kayaks and paddleboards.
Other useful amenities include a first-aid station and family, women's and men’s restrooms with changing areas. Parents will enjoy the patio area with umbrellas and the lap swimming area. Learn more about the beach, including entrance fees, hours and family-fun ideas here.
8 Ideas for Family Fun at Shady Oak Play Area
- Visit the Beach. While there is an entrance fee to visit the beach, it is really the best reason to visit the park.
- Rent a Canoe, kayak or paddleboard ($7-$10/hr in 2020); or bring your own to use the public launch. (Don't forget life jackets).
- Got a Fishing License? Bring your gear and take the kids fishing.
- Pack a picnic for an outdoor meal.
- Play together at the playground outside the beach
- Pay the beach fee to visit the sand and water play area inside the beach.
- Rent volleyball gear and play a game of sand volleyball (inside the beach)
- Bring the family dog and take a hike. He's not allowed in the beach area, but you can explore the trails together.
Birthday Parties at Shady Oak Play Area
The playground area has a picnic shelter available to rent for birthday parties and other private events. Note that the restrooms are within the beach area and guests will need to pay beach admission to use the restrooms. However, if you have more than 20 guests, you can arrange for a discounted admission of $3/pp.
There are also birthday party packages available at the beach.
Find This and Other Beaches in Splash Happy: Twin Cities Guide to Beaches, Pools, Water Parks & Splash Pads.