In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature.
Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas for family outings and services in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory.
The Historic Wayzata Depot doubles as the the Wayzata Historical Society Museum. In 1906, the Great Northern Railroad (owned by James J. Hill) built this depot, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visitors are encouraged to interact at Wayzata Depot
Here is a short checklist of fun activities for kids:
- Get a souvenir ticket at the ticket window.
- View the hand-built train model displays.
- Get a coke from an 1950s machine.
- Try out the “penny lollipop scale”.
- Send a Morse code message.
- Watch modern trains as they pass the museum.
- Weather permitting, check out the Garden Railroad.
- Take a trip on the Steamboat Minnehaha. ($15 Adults/$5.00 Kids/Free for under 3)