The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul ("FSMSP") is a the non-profit organization behind the the annual Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival ("MSPIFF"). Most Film Society programming screens at the St. Anthony Main Theatre in Minneapolis. You may recall when Hennepin County Library would host monthly Childish Films screenings, where we could introduce our children to high quality, but age appropriate films in a child-friendly environment. The library no longer offers Childish Films, but now they are part of the annual film festival. Enjoy both feature length and a screening of short films each year. Besides the film festival FSMSP hosts screenings of films year round.
Membership to The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul
Just in time for the 2016 holiday season, the Film Society has finally added a new Family Membership level! This Membership offers 25% off tickets for the whole family (parents and up to 4 minor children) and invites to free members-only screenings for $130.00 year. Is this a good deal for you? How many films do you see in a year? A family of four would recoup the membership after 15 films; a family of six would start saving after 10 films. Weekly moviegoers - that's a deal! If you are more of a monthly viewer, you would be doing it to support the film society.
The Film Festival Youth Jury
The Childish Films are juried by a group of young volunteer jurors. While they are briefly trained, the goal is for the best films to be picked by their true audience - children and teens. Jurors receive free tickets to the screenings they are judging. This is an option for families who want to see all of the Childish Films. Jurors need to be between the ages of 11 and 17. They apply in March are are selected by the beginning of April.
2017 MSPIFF Childish Films Reviews
- Belle & Sebastian: The Adventure Continues • (Note: This is a sequel to a film screened in 2015)
- Fanny's Journey
- Fortune Favors the Brave
- How To Steal a Dog
- Let's Get the Rhythm • I did not make it to this film, but my husband went as my daughter's guest and came home inspired.
- Mr. Frog
2016 MSPIFF Childish Film Reviews
- Birds of Passage
- Celestial Camel • I did not review this film. This link is to a London Film Festival review.
- Kick It
- My Friend Raffi
- Operation Arctic
Articles Related to The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul
- Family Films from Past Film Festivals – 2015*
- Family Films from Past Film Festivals – 2014*
- Family Films from Past Film Festivals – 2013*
- Childish Films Festival Shorts 2013*
- MSPIFF: See The Film Trailers for Childish Films*
- Membership – The No-Clutter Gift of Together Time
*Some references to where to find videos streaming may be outdated.