Bakken Museum is tucked back behind Lake Calhoun Park and straddles St. Louis Park and Uptown Minneapolis. It could be a little hard to find, but if you can get yourself to Calhoun Parkway, you can follow the signs the rest of the way. This one-of-a-kind museum explores the mysteries of our electrical world. Inspiring a passion for science and its potential for social good by helping people explore the history and nature of electricity and magnetism. Check the Family Fun Calendar regularly for more information about all the exciting things happening at Bakken Museum.
Current and Ongoing Exhibits at Bakken Museum
- Opening June 9, 2016: Touch the Earth - Botanical Art by Janet and Howard Goltz. Illustrations, watercolors, graphite drawings, photography, woodcraft, and basketry that highlight the intricate beauty of the nature around us.
- Ben Franklin's Electricity Party - Try out some static electricity parlor tricks.
- Frankenstein's Laboratory - Get spooked in the immersive object theater.
- Gardens - Bakken has four distinctive gardens.
- Welcome to West Winds - Dig into the story of West Winds mansion.
- Body Electric - Find out how our bodies make and use electricity.
- Spark of Life - Uncover the history and culture of electricity.
- Electropolis - Explore the history of electricity in Minneapolis.
Birthday parties at Bakken Museum include admission and full access to all exhibits and outdoor spaces, a private party room for 2 hours, set-up/clean-up, a guided tour (if arranged for in advance), Science Studio participation, experienced education staff. Bring your own food and beverages and party supplies. Prices start at $250.
Annual Family Membership to Bakken Museum
A family membership at the Bakken Museum is $65.00 and tax deductible. It includes all members of the household. (If you have four kids in your family, one visit to Bakken Museum is $52.00, so this is an especially good deal for larger families). Benefits include:
- Free general admission
- Free or reduced admission to participating Association of Science-Technology Center (ASTC) Travel Passport when traveling
- Free admission to The Bakken's Discovery Days
- Invitation to special events.
- Discounts on youth programs
- Discounts at the Museum Store
- Free subscription to monthly Bakken Electric e-newsletter (although you can just sign up for that)