In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page because you are looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature. Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas of things to do with kids in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory, including family outings, services, classes, camps, birthday parties and more.
Family Fun Directory of Things To Do with Kids:
This summer, my boys started taking a delighted interest in airplanes. They point out every one that goes overhead and ask constantly about the chance of flying somewhere. I decided this would be a good time to visit Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport's Aircraft Viewing Area. Although it is really just a sidewalk with benches, this was a fun place to visit for a family picnic.
We've found that a good time to stop here is after dropping family off at the airport. We can go "watch Grandma's plane take off". It doesn't really matter if we watch her actual flight. We just stop and wave goodbye to the next plane to take off.
Pluses of the Aircraft Viewing Area
- It is free.
- It has a direct view of runways and easy viewing of planes rolling in after landing.
- There are 25 free parking spaces.
- Two picnic tables are available on a first come basis.
- There are several park benches.
- Garbage and recycling receptacles are handy for cleaning up post-picnic.
- Security cameras and lighting are onsite.
- For those interested, there is a sign with details about the various planes.
Minuses of the Aircraft Viewing Area
- There are no restrooms.
- There is currently no shady area from which to watch. However, trees have been planted so someday there may be more shade.
- If you don't know your way around the area, it may be a bit hard to find the first time.
- It was surprisingly crowded. We had hoped to grab a picnic table, but they were in use.
- It is loud. Sensitive children may not like it. I had to take our toddler back to the van early.
Finding the Aircraft Viewing Area.
Another option for watching planes is nearby Fort Snelling State Park. State parks require the purchase a vehicle permit, but offers restrooms and shade.
What is the Family Fun Twin Directory?
This is the most extensive collection of companies, organizations, activities and places to find things to do with kids in the Twin Cities. Find things to do this weekend, things to do today, things to do with toddlers, things to do with teens. We have it all. Sort by indoor things to do with kids or outdoor things to do with kids. Find theater, music, water parks, aquariums, zoos, museums, seasonal fun.
Find the Answers to Your Questions. How much does it cost? What are the hours? Where can I find discount tickets? Where did my favorite store go?
We share Family Friendly Businesses. We work hard to keep it the most current and accurate parenting resource in the Twin Cities. Not just a blog for moms, we are a informational resource for families. This parent to parent list is perfect for dads, moms and grandparents to find fun things to do with kids year round.
This directory was made for families who live in the Twin Cities metro to connect with local businesses. However, visitors to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will find our directory useful to learn more about venues with insider tips and details. Use this directory to find the best things to do with families in Minnesota's largest metropolitan area.
Connect With Us: