Landmark Center serves as a cultural center for music, dance, theater, exhibitions, public forums, and hosts countless special events. The Landmark Center houses three small museums: the Schubert Club Museum, Ramsey County Historical Society Gallery, and Mary Livingston Griggs & Mary Griggs Burke Research Center. It also contains houses several exhibits of its own.
2017 Summer Arts Discovery at the Landmark Center
This year's Summer Arts Discovery will showcase 10 local artists. Families can explore the Landmark Center's less traveled areas while viewing the works of these artists. All of the art has a unified theme of a collective or inclusive community. The exhibit runs June 15 to August 31, 2017.
2017 Sundays at Landmark Center
Sundays are the best day for families to visit the Landmark Center. Each Sunday from September to May, the Landmark Center offers a different free or low cost cultural event, including heritage festivals, musical performances, and holiday celebrations. All programs begin at 1 pm unless otherwise noted and are free and open to the public!
- September 10 | Mid-Autumn Moon Festival | 4pm | Free
- October 8 | Nooks and Crannies Tour | 1pm | Free
- October 22 | Saint Paul Civic Symphony | 1pm | Free
- October 29 | Great Pumpkin Festival | 1pm | Free
- November 12 | Traditions of Germany| 1pm | Free
- November 26 | Rose Ensemble | 6:30pm | Free
- December 10 | Santa's Workshop | 1pm | Free
- January 7 | MN Boychoir Concert | 1 and 3:30pm | Free
- January 21 | Urban Expedition: Bulgaria | 1pm | Free
- January 28 | Civic Symphony: Winter Carnival Concert | 2pm | Free
- February 11 | Urban Expedition: Japan | 1pm | Free
- February 18 | Carpathian Festival | 12am - 5pm | $4 - $6
- February 25 | Urban Expedition: Iceland | 1 pm | Free
- March 11 | Urban Expedition: Bolivia | 1pm | Free
- March 18 | Irish Day of Dance | 11am | $5-$7
- April 7 | Scottish Ramble | 11am | $4-$6 (This is a Saturday. We will verify before April)
- April 15 | Urban Expedition: TBD | 1 pm | Free
- April 29 | Bandwidth Community Band Festival | 12:30pm | Free
- May 13 | Saint Paul Civic Symphony Mother's Day Concert | 1pm | Free
Ballet Tuesdays at Landmark Center
Ballet Tuesdays run October through May. The 2017/2018 programs are scheduled for October 10, November 17, December 12, January 9, February 13, March 13, April 10 and May 8.
If you’ve got a budding ballerina or two in your family, the Ballet Tuesdays program at Landmark Center is an excellent taste of what formal classes and performances might be like someday. I have attended a couple of these free events with my children this past year and enjoyed what might be a glimpse into our future. My daughters (now ages 6 and 4) have watched dancers from the St. Paul Ballet condense a typical class into a half-hour demonstration of repertoire and other barre work. The dancers work on simultaneous movement while observing preschoolers in tutus try to imitate the older girls’ every step.
This is the best part of the program – the young audience is free to move about, perfect their dance moves, and in some cases even join the action onstage. One Ballet Tuesday last spring the kids were treated to excerpts from an upcoming production of Peter Pan. SPCB made the performance interactive by inviting the children onstage to dance with the characters and pose for photos.
I’ll be honest, the cortile is usually filled with plenty of pink and an excess of estrogen. The event may mainly appeal to girls. However, sometimes they offer programs that could appeal to the boys, too.
This article was originally published by Anne Kingston on April 17, 2013.
*Joy thinks this would be great to pair with Preschool Playdate at the Science Museum (and maybe even a visit to George Latimer Library?). As long as you have to park in St. Paul, you may as well visit a couple places.
Walking Tours from the Landmark Center
Free walking tours are held between the months of June and September. Space is limited and reservations required. The tours are held on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m., and vary by week. They seem to sell out, so planning ahead is a good idea. It's also probably a good idea to bring a stroller or wagon for the younger ones. Tours include:
- Rice Park Tours | 2nd Wednesday of the Month
- Heart of the City Tours | 3rd Wednesday of the Month
- Great River Tours | 4th Wednesday of the Month
- Schubert Club and Museum
- It’s the 10th Anniversary of Urban Expeditions
- Summer Arts Discovery at the Landmark Center
- 10 Free & Air-Conditioned Indoor Family Outings
- Family Fun Idea: Flint Hills International Children's Festival