The Landing is a historic village located in Minnesota River Heritage Park in Shakopee. It employees costumed actors as guides to give an authentic view of 19th-century life in Minnesota. Managed by Three Rivers Park District, it offers a variety of programming for the public. Or, you are welcome to visit the park at your leisure (admission-free), exploring the trails ad interpretive signs. The grounds overlook a lovely stretch of the Minnesota River.
"Step back in time see what life was like for people who lived in the Minnesota River Valley 150 years ago. It's history happening right before your eyes. Costumed interpreters and authentic buildings help recreate late 19th-century life in Minnesota, a time when settlers were establishing farmsteads and villages on the frontier. The park is open for tours, educational events, group events and weddings. On weekends in December, revisit the settlers' holiday traditions with Folkways of the Holidays. Kids also love playing house in 1880s style at the Martinson House."
-The Landing Website
6 Ideas for Family Fun at The Landing
- Take a family bike ride. This will be a short ride, the bike path is less than a mile, but it connects to other trails if you would like to go further.
- Bring your dog for a walk. The River Trail is dog-friendly and offers opportunities to explore the shore of the Minnesota River. Dogs are also allowed on the paved trail that runs through the historic village.
- Go hiking. The same River Trail that allows dogs makes a nice, short hike for families. It is only one mile long.
- Explore history. You can explore on your own (there are interpretive signs at many of the buildings) or sign up for one of the public programs regularly offered.
- Pack a picnic. Make it a Victorian style picnic for more fun.
- Go snowshoeing in the winter. In the winter, the River Trail is open to snowshoers.