In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page because you are looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature. Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas of things to do with kids in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory, including family outings, services, classes, camps, birthday parties and more.
Family Fun Directory of Things To Do with Kids:
A reasonable fee is charged immediately upon your arrival to Afton Apple Orchard. We find it nice to have that squared away, to know the children are now free to explore the very large, unique playground at will. Plan to park it there while the kids discover the “retread hill” (for the uninitiated, it’s a mountain of tires with tube slides running through it), swings, hay bales to climb, and a pretty decent petting farm.
Tractor hayrides out into the expanse of the orchards are also included in the admission fee. And – best of all – you’re not required to pre-purchase a bag for picking. This spared us mucho disappointment during a year of poor harvest. Instead, we put the money towards picking fall raspberries – and were super impressed with the quality of the crop.
Afton turned out to be our family’s favorite of the East Metro apple orchards. It was large enough to offer activities suited to each member of the family, but at no time did we feel like we were picking on top of our neighbor. When fall rolls around and a free weekend pops up on the calendar the vote’s unanimous — time to head to the orchard!
This article was originally published by Anne on 8/25/15
Pick-Your Own Strawberry Season
Afton Apple Orchard 2019:
The apple picking season starts on mid-August and last until the end of October. Hayrides into the orchard are available on weekends through Labor Day and daily after that. If you prefer a quieter visit, Afton recommends coming on weekdays. Weekend hayrides rung 10am-6pm, and week day rides are offered from 12pm-6pm (after labor day). Other activities included with general admission include a HUGE playground, petting farm, Retread Hill, Straw Mountain and Johnny Combine.
Afton Apple Orchard's Corn Maze :
The corn maze opens on Mid-September. Stay tuned for this year's theme.
Corn Maze Admission:
Adults 11 and older - $10.00 *tax included
Children ages 3-10* - $8.00 *must be accompanied by paid adult
2 and under - Free
Afton Apple Orchard's Pet Policy:
Dogs are not allowed at this Orchard due to health regulations.
Café ala Apple
Birthday Parties at Afton Apple Orchard
Articles Related to Afton Apple Orchard
- Family Fun Idea: Twin Cities Pick-Your-Own Produce Farms
- Family Fun Twin Cities' Guide to MEA Weekend
- Recipe Wednesday: Strawberry Rhubarb Applesauce + Twin Cities Apple Orchard Picks
- 10 Twin Cities Pumpkin Patches To Pick From
- Corn Mazes in the Twin Cities: Where's the Best Value?
- 10 Twin Cities Fall Festivals
- Family Fun Twin Cities Guide to Apple Orchards
- Twin Cities Apple Orchards: 4 Picks in the West Metro
- Twin Cities Apple Orchards: Pickings in the North Metro
- Twin Cities Apple Orchards: Go West, Young Man (and Women)
- Twin Cities Apple Orchards: Southern Hospitality
- Twin Cities Apple Orchards: Eastern Metro
- Twin Cities Apple Orchards — Southeastern Fun