Ice Castles has moved around the Twin Cities from year to year; but it’s always a good time. In the past it has been at the MOA, Eden Prairie, Stillwater, Excelsior and New Brighton. Quite LITERALLY in my backyard! Where will 2021 be? Not in Minnesota, unfortunately. Although, they likely got the idea for this attraction from our historic Winter Carnival, ironically, Ice Castles is not returning to Minnesota in 2021. While this is a bit disappointing, we have four alternative options for you in 2021:
- If you want to see this particular national attraction, you’ll have to drive to Lake Geneva Wisconsin. Our friends at Lake Country Family Fun will have all the details and a giveaway.
- The Ice Palace Maze in Stillwater combines two of the Twin Cities favorite attractions an ice palace surrounding a 1/2 mile of maze passages – $15/adults; $10/children 5-12. This appears to be selling out fast.
- If you are looking for some beautiful snow sculptures nearby, we recommend the original Saint Paul Winter Carnival.
- Check out Improv-ICE in Rochester Minnesota from February 4-11, 2021.
What is Ice Castles?
It’s spectacular. Make sure you bundle up in all your layers so that you can safely spend lots of time at the icy palace to get the best value for the ticket price.
In 2013, the Mall of America was host to one of Brent Christensen’s Ice Castles. At the time I didn’t realize what I was missing out on by not visiting it. However, in 2015, I made sure to not miss out. I packed up the kids and drove out to Eden Prairie’s Miller Park just off Hwy 212.
Ice Castle Fun:
Brent Christensen created this beautiful annual kingdom of ice after moving from warm, sunny California to snowy Utah. He likes to experiment and play around and the snow and ice of Utah were the perfect vehicle for his creativity.
Since 2011, he has been creating this masterpieces for the public all over the country. Many different locations around the county have hosted and are hosting an Ice Castle. Each location creates a unique experience–even though they use many of the same elements, tunnels, waterfalls, ice, etc.
What to expect from Ice Castles
- Perfect Setting for pictures. Bring your cameras. If you don’t, you will kick yourself. You are walking into the Land of the Ice Princess. Weather permitting there will be fire dancers on the weekends and maybe some of your favorite princesses.
- Hot chocolate, coffee, cider, cookies, and sandwiches for sale.
- A frozen tube slide or two
- Ample opportunities to crawl into tunnels and play hide and seek (although I don’t recommend that since lots of people are visiting and you may actually lose your children).
Minnesota Ice Castles 2021 Information & Coupon Codes
- Location: Geneva National Resort & Club, Lake Geneva Wisconsin
- Dates: Dates & Hours Dependent on Weather
- Tickets: $12.99-$22.99/pp .
This article was originally written by Gianna in 2014
and is updated with current information annually