Yancey Park in Edina is a nearly 20-acre park with family-friendly amenities that include a playground, sports courts and fields, and space for picnics. There are restrooms onsite.
5 Ideas for Family Fun at Yancey Park
- Play on the Playground - The park has a play area with large climbing structure and a separate section with swings.
- Bring a Playground ball to play:
- Kickball on the baseball diamond; or
- Dodgeball on the open field
- Pack a picnic. There is a table within view of the play area and a small gazebo near the baseball field.
- Bring your tennis or pickleball gear and play a game.
- Take a walk together. The park's path is a nice half-mile walk. It is paved for each access with strollers, scooters and small bikes.
Yancey Park Honors Edina's Black Pioneers
In 2021, Garden Park was renamed Yancey Park to serve as a reminder of the many contributions of the 16 Black families who settled in Edina with other early homesteaders. According to the City of Edina, these 16 families sir names were:
- Fyte (or Fite);
- Washington; and
Generally born east and south of Minnesota, the families settled alongside other homesteaders and some stayed for several generations. The Yancey family, for whom this park is named, were particularly prominent in early Edina history.
More Edina Parks to Check Out