Discover a new outdoor play space! Looking for specifics like a playground, swimming spot or bike trail? Want to find the perfect place to a pitch a tent or your city’s best sledding hill? Search by all of these amenities and more in our Twin Cities Parks & Playgrounds Search. You can even search by city or region of the Metro. Plus, find park hours, fees, directions, pictures and other extras.
Silverwood Park is a favorite of the FFTC Staff. The coffee shop is a great place to have adult conversations with kids in tow. There are games and coloring materials available for the kids and art on display everywhere. The atmosphere is relaxing. Silverwood strives to be a zero-waste park, so you can be confident that your coffee cups and utensils are all compostable.
Besides the coffee shop and galleries, Silverwood offers year round kids and family activities and art classes. Some have a fee, some are free. Some are combined with the outdoor hikes.
Silverwood Park Outdoors
Outside, Silverwood offers a combination of natural space and art for independent exploration. If you prefer guided exploration, there are regular free artist and naturalist led hikes. They also host special events, such as the popular spring egg hunt.
Silverwood Park On Stage
Silverwood On Stage is a lineup of local and emerging artists with entertainment for the whole family all summer. You can find this year's full line up here.
Artist-Led Birthday Parties at Silverwood Park
Silverwood offers "Art-tastic" birthday parties with a choice of art-inspired themes. Each party is two ours and geared toward ages 4+. A professional art educator leads the first hour, but the second half is open-ended.
Parties are $100 to $150 and include up 15 participants, use of a room, tables and a sink. You bring your own refreshments and supplies*. Additional children cost $5 each, and there is a maximum of 20 children per party. Parties can be scheduled on Sundays 1:00-3:00 PM or Tuesdays 5:00-7:00 PM.
Party themes and prices are:
• Clay $150
• Birds Puppets & Feeders $100
• Printmaking Fish $100
• Woodland Wizards & Fairies $100
• Apple Cidering, April–October $100
DIY Birthday Parties at Silverwood Park
Silverwood offers two affordable rental options for DIY birthday parties.
- The Classroom rental fee is $150 for 4 hours and than an additional $30 per additional hour. It offers a view of Silver Lake, seating for up to 32, Wi-Fi, a white board (for games?), and restrooms. The classroom is available year round, but check the website for availability.
- The Island Shelter is available May through October from 10:00 a.m. to sunset. An all-day rental is $175.00. The shelter includes six picnic tables for seating up to 50, a portable grill, use of the fire pit, and one firewood. Additional firewood can be purchased from Silverwood.
*One thing families should keep in mind when booking Silverwood (for either type of party) is that their zero-waste policy extends to guests. You may not bring in disposable dishes and utensils unless they are compostable. So you will need to plan accordingly.
Articles Related to Silverwood Park:
For more outdoor play ideas:
- 10 of the Best Twin Cities Playgrounds
- 20 Twin Cities Beaches, Parks & Playgrounds to Try This Summer
- Nature Playgrounds in the Twin Cities - Get Back to Green