Fern Hill Park is a neighborhood park in St. Louis Park with family friendly amenities that include a playground, a picnic shelter, and sports fields and courts. This park also offers horseshoe pits and a sun shelter. Fern Hill is one of several parks in St. Louis Park that provides free Wi-Fi in park shelters and picnic shelters. There are also drinking fountains and restrooms available. There is an off-street parking lot.
9 Ideas for Family Fun at Fern Hill Park
8 Summer Family Fun Ideas
- Set Up Your Own Ninja Challenges on the playground. The brightly colored play structure is ideal for timed races. Start on one end and end at the bottom of the slide. Or run up the slide and go the other direction.
- Practicing Batting and Catching. Bring your bat and gloves and get a little baseball practice in on the one of baseball diamonds.
- Play Some Kickball. Or bring a playground ball and play a family game of kickball on the field.
- Shoot Some Hoops. Bring a basketball and practice making baskets together.
- Take a Walk Together. The trails are paved and stroller friendly, so you can do some laps around the park while your little one naps or let them burn off energy and walk along with you if they are awake.
- Have a Picnic. There are picnic shelters, tables and plenty of grassy spaces.
- Practice Soccer. Bring along a soccer ball and practice together in the green space.
- Play Some Tennis - Bring your rackets and balls. If the kids are too small to play, maybe they can be ball chasers while you practice your hits. Note that tennis court available to rent Tuesdays and Thursdays, and may not be available to use.
Winter Family Fun
- Hockey Practice. The rink at this park allows hockey play because it has boards on all sides. Bring your gear and get some family practice on the ice.
Birthday Parties at Fern Hill Park
The open air picnic shelter is available for rent during the warmer months and holds between 50-100 people. It offers restrooms (May 30th-September 1st), electricity and free wi-fi. However, it does not have a grill.
Note: Rentals are not available on Memorial Day, Independence Day or Labor Day. On these dates use is first come, first served.
For more birthday party ideas, we have compiled FFTC’s Ultimate Guide to Birthday Parties in the Twin Cities.