Bassett's Creek Park in Minneapolis traverses two neighborhoods - Bryn Mawr and Harrison. It abuts Theodore Wirth Park on Glenwood Avenue. Family-friendly amenities include two playgrounds, ball fields and connection to regional bike trails. The park is separated by an industrial area, where you will find Utepils Brewing and other local companies. Trails connect the three areas of the park and if you walk the loop, you'll log about a mile and a half.
Note: If you are using GPS, you'll want to differential between "Bassett's Creek Park" and "Bassett Creek Park", which is just over 5 miles northwest of this park, in Crystal.
8 Things for Families at Bassett's Creek Park
- Family Bike Ride. This park is a good destination on a family bike ride as the Cedar Lake Regional Trail, Luce Line Regional Trail and the Bassett Creek Regional Trail are all nearby - as is Theodore Wirth Regional Park.
- Hit the Playground. This park has two playgrounds - A larger, modern playground off of Chestnut Street and another off Morgan Avenue that was updated as a "nature playground" in the fall of 2020.
- Kick a Soccer Ball Around. Bring a soccer ball and take advantage of the soccer field or any of the green space throughout the park to practice your drills.
- Play A Game of Kickball. Use a softball field to play a game of kickball together. Bring your own ball.
- Enjoy a Game of Tennis. Bring your rackets and ball. and see how many times you can hit the ball back and forth. If you have little kids, let them chase the ball for you as you practice your swing.
- Play Volleyball. Grab your volleyball (or even a playground ball) and volley back and forth on the volleyball court.
- Go on a Nature Walk. The natural creek environment invites waterfowl of all types and the park is in the process of adding more naturalized areas and native plantings. The perimeter path of the park is approximately a mile and a half.
- Have a Picnic. You'll find picnic shelters, tables and plenty of green space at this park.
Updates to Bassett's Creek Park
In December of 2019 the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB) approved the concept plan for improvements to the Harrison neighborhood section of Bassett's Creek Park. Construction begins in the summer of 2020. Approved updates include:
- Improved creek access
- Naturalized areas and native plantings, including a bee lawn to replace turf grass
- New loop trails and a new bike rack near the trail picnic area
- New and refreshed sidewalks
- New play equipment and a refreshed play area in the Morgan Avenue playground. The community has expressed a preference for a nature play area with wooden play equipment as opposed to metal. While not a "nature play area" like the nature centers offer, the play area includes wooden play equipment, a sand area and native plantings. The equipment has slides, swings, towers and spinners. See a concept drawing below.
November 17, 2020 Update: The playground was installed as planned in October 2020, however, the early snowstorm and cooler weather prevented the installation of the surfacing material. This safety surfacing will be added in the spring of 2021 once temperatures are consistently above 40 degrees..
- New picnic facilities near the Penn Avenue Bridge, the regional trail and the ball field, including an ADA accessible grill in the facility near the trail.